• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The World God Only Knows Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
I don't see how TWGOK "needs" to be moe. I'm pretty sure the main draw of the series isn't the girls - it's Keima. If the girls got any more spotlight it would probably be terrible because very few of them are actually interesting.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The idea that the reviewer thinks that the show is a dramatic comedy even though the very premise is that Keima will complete these captures on orders from Hell or else his head will explode. Certainly, some of the girls have problems but nothing on the level of the melodramatic Key heroines as it's not meant to be taken that seriously. . .

To be honest, I've only seen about five dubbed episodes on the Anime Channel but I am familiar with the manga.

If you're basing your complaints mostly off of what you know about the franchise from the manga then that's your problem here. Others have agreed that the manga is more purely comedic than what the anime version actually is. Watch out the rest of the first season; I guarantee you'll see what I mean. Although there is some humor in (for instance) Shiori's situation, the anime's creators definitely don't play it as one big joke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I remember back when Theron previewed the first episode of the first season, he had a distinct lack of enthusiasm for the show and a lot of that seemed to revolve around the fact that he felt there was a missed opportunity to deal more meaningfully with the premise of a dating sim addict who does not want to deal with real, live girls, preferring the idealized 2D versions. I think he felt that this otaku phenomenon is a potential real sociological problem in Japan and the show obviously wasn't going to go there in terms of looking at it in a substantive way.

At the time, I accused Theron of judging the show on the basis of what he wanted it to be as opposed to what it actually was. I still basically feel that way, but my thinking has changed a bit, now that I've seen all of season 1 and season 2. I loved the first eppie of season 1, however the show then promptly spent the remainder of the season frittering away that initial good will. The Kanon arc seemed interminable what with the lengthy insertion of insipid J-pop tunes and a not terribly interesting girl. The final arc with the library chick nearly drove me crazy with its repetition: yeah, she is really shy and can't communicate. I get. I got it ten examples ago - get on with it!

Given my dissatisfaction with how the show unfolded, I have a bit more sympathy for Theron's view that the show would have been better if we saw some development of Keima with respect to a growing ability to interact with RL girls. The show definitely need something to get it out of what I saw as a pretty tedious rut.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The Dub gets the same rating as the Sub even though Sentai reuses an actress as one of the heroines? How is that not a fatal flaw?

Wait, how is it a fatal flaw? American cartoons do it all the time. (Sometimes anime does too; see Megumi Hayashibara in Evangelion, though that's as much a Mr. Darling/Captain Hook thing as anything.)

(My favorite review of TWGOK (manga).)

Last edited by Shay Guy on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
TWGOK is a galge geek answer to "The Pickup Artist":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pickup_Artist_%28TV_series%29

I think it's ridiculous to say that the story missed an opportunity by not going for Keima coming to terms with his "issues". I'm not saying he's a perfect, special little snow-flake, but since his ONLY goal is to get a kiss and then promptly forget the girl (in season 1 of TV series), the whole premise is no MORE ridiculous than the linked American reality show. The concept is interesting because UNLIKE most otaku protagonists (like Train Man) Keima really DOESN'T CARE what other people think of him. This actually serves him well in the series because he can try various game routes without ANY fear of rejection because his end goal is NOT a true relationship with the girls, but merely to "close the deal" to capture spirits. It's actually a brilliant point if you think about it, it's NOT the hobby that's holding geeks back, it is themselves.

But at it's core, it's still a "farce", it has faux-drama, sure, but so does Haganai and Love Hina and a half dozen other harem shows. I'm not saying the show is great, the B ratings are fair if not a little high IMO, but the review READS (as someone said) more like the reviewer WANTED it to be a satire rather than what it is.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
I don't see how TWGOK "needs" to be moe. I'm pretty sure the main draw of the series isn't the girls - it's Keima. If the girls got any more spotlight it would probably be terrible because very few of them are actually interesting.

Of course a show about dating girls needs the girls to be moe. The lack of moe is the big reason why the series flopped in Japan and there will never be a third season.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Of course a show about dating girls needs the girls to be moe. The lack of moe is the big reason why the series flopped in Japan and there will never be a third season.

Is it just me, or are people just throwing out the term "moe" like they know what it means? For Arceus's sake, "moe" means differently for different people.

And there will be a third season. I can't say whether the series was "moe" or not, but it's pretty damn enjoyable, and that's enough to warrant a third season.

AilisKnil wrote:

Exactly. The key is "execution" and "character depth". It's why series like Baka to Test and Hayate no Gotoku became such hits without needing to rely on "moe" so much.

Key wrote:
If you're basing your complaints mostly off of what you know about the franchise from the manga then that's your problem here. Others have agreed that the manga is more purely comedic than what the anime version actually is. Watch out the rest of the first season; I guarantee you'll see what I mean. Although there is some humor in (for instance) Shiori's situation, the anime's creators definitely don't play it as one big joke.

If you think about it on a deeper level, the situations these girls are in aren't something to ridicule at. Comedic, yes, but the drama is there as a way to characterize these girls that Keima is trying to capture.

Blood- wrote:
I remember back when Theron previewed the first episode of the first season, he had a distinct lack of enthusiasm for the show and a lot of that seemed to revolve around the fact that he felt there was a missed opportunity to deal more meaningfully with the premise of a dating sim addict who does not want to deal with real, live girls, preferring the idealized 2D versions. I think he felt that this otaku phenomenon is a potential real sociological problem in Japan and the show obviously wasn't going to go there in terms of looking at it in a substantive way.

At the time, I accused Theron of judging the show on the basis of what he wanted it to be as opposed to what it actually was. I still basically feel that way, but my thinking has changed a bit, now that I've seen all of season 1 and season 2. I loved the first eppie of season 1, however the show then promptly spent the remainder of the season frittering away that initial good will. The Kanon arc seemed interminable what with the lengthy insertion of insipid J-pop tunes and a not terribly interesting girl. The final arc with the library chick nearly drove me crazy with its repetition: yeah, she is really shy and can't communicate. I get. I got it ten examples ago - get on with it!

Given my dissatisfaction with how the show unfolded, I have a bit more sympathy for Theron's view that the show would have been better if we saw some development of Keima with respect to a growing ability to interact with RL girls. The show definitely need something to get it out of what I saw as a pretty tedious rut.

On the contrary, your reason is why I can't look past Theron's review. He and you took this series as what it could've been instead of what it is. It's a great satire, yes, and an enjoyable comedy. But both of you take this anime's potential way too seriously.

Riddle me this: no matter what, The World God Only Knows proves to be a title quite worth watching. It seems refreshing in ways that despite being built on otaku notions, it subverts many of them. This is not a typical harem love story nor is it completely a new girl/reset arc anime. While there are the expectant "resets", Keima's growth and accomplishments do not diminish nor drop to zero. The anime veers around that by making the girls, and not Keima, forget what they have experienced after he has expunged the ghosts from their hearts. It leaves the question, "But what about his?". Interestingly, he still remains stand-offish and aloof but who knows for how long.

Last edited by KentaMaeba on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
And there will be a third season.

No, there won't. The series was a flop, and the only reason it got a 'second season' was because it was split cour. When a show only sells around 2-3k copies, the likelihood of a sequel (unless it's a SHAFT show, they're oddballs) is practically zero.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Keima is my idol, he sets the standard for what all otaku should aim to be. (but never actually become)

Also, why the heck would the show try and portray the girls of the conquests as "moe" when they're supposed to be real life girls? (in the show universe of course)
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No, there won't. The series was a flop, and the only reason it got a 'second season' was because it was split cour. When a show only sells around 2-3k copies, the likelihood of a sequel (unless it's a SHAFT show, they're oddballs) is practically zero.

They announced the third season of Hayate the Combat Butler.

They're making a 2nd season of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? and Seitokai no Ichizon.

A MOVIE for To Aru Majutsu no Index is in production.

There WILL be a 3rd season for The World God Only Knows.

"It is the choice of Steins;Gate."
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

They announced the third season of Hayate the Combat Butler.

They're making a 2nd season of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? and Seitokai no Ichizon.

A MOVIE for To Aru Majutsu no Index is in production.

There WILL be a 3rd season for The World God Only Knows.

"It is the choice of Steins;Gate."

Those are all popular series that sold well (well, Kore wa Zombie didn't light up the charts, but it helped its original novels sell 300% times better). TWGOK was a flop sales wise AND didn't help its original mangas sales much. Theres literally no reason for them to make a 3rd season.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
Riddle me this: no matter what, The World God Only Knows proves to be a title quite worth watching.

Change the word "quite" to "barely" and I'll agree with you. I actually found it to be rather tedious to watch.

Quote:
It seems refreshing in ways that despite being built on otaku notions, it subverts many of them.

Yeah, this one I want to see explained. I saw nothing subversive about any of this.

Quote:
While there are the expectant "resets", Keima's growth and accomplishments do not diminish nor drop to zero.

It doesn't drop to zero because it never rises above zero. As I said in an earlier post, what "growth" does Keima see through this season? He's the same guy at the end that he was at the beginning, and I got the impression that dealing with all of those girls was some combination of a challenge and distracting nuisance for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
review wrote:
Some will doubtless look at this as a clever application of one medium to another, but it's really a cop-out because it avoids taking the more challenging and potentially even more interesting course: showing an otaku actually learning to step beyond his games and deal with people in a normal manner. The producers cannot be faulted too much for this, because they clearly understand that they are pandering to exactly the kind of audience that Keima represents and giving them exactly what they want to see, but wasting such a golden opportunity to make something more of an anime title is disappointing to see.

This is exactly why I dropped it after 2 or 3 episodes. See, I had the idea that the show was going to be about a guy who was complete obsessed with galge and ends up learning just how different girls are to their idealistic video game counterparts. Instead what I got was a guy using the same techniques from video games to win the heart of the girl. I can see why some would like such a thing, but it's not my thing. I would have been much more interested if it were social criticism, but to see something that not only tolerates playing games all day but actually portrays it to be useful in terms of romance is just not something I can get behind.

I came for about the same reason (More from a Densha Otoko TV side). Not hating for what it actually is, but did have that same notion going in.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
AilisKnil wrote:

I'm speaking from a critical perspective rather than a sales perspective. We all know Japan has no taste. But for that matter, you can't single out the lack of moe as the reason the show didn't sell well. It could have just been that people thought the direction was poor.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
Blood- wrote:

On the contrary, your reason is why I can't look past Theron's review. He and you took this series as what it could've been instead of what it is. It's a great satire, yes, and an enjoyable comedy. But both of you take this anime's potential way too seriously.

Riddle me this: no matter what, The World God Only Knows proves to be a title quite worth watching. It seems refreshing in ways that despite being built on otaku notions, it subverts many of them. This is not a typical harem love story nor is it completely a new girl/reset arc anime. While there are the expectant "resets", Keima's growth and accomplishments do not diminish nor drop to zero. The anime veers around that by making the girls, and not Keima, forget what they have experienced after he has expunged the ghosts from their hearts. It leaves the question, "But what about his?". Interestingly, he still remains stand-offish and aloof but who knows for how long.

I think you may have misunderstood my point a little. I didn't say I completely agreed with Theron's view. I said that having seen the whole thing and been mostly underwhelmed, I had more sympathy with it afterwards then I did when I first encountered it. My stronger preference would have been for TWGOK to actually be funnier, in a light, broad comedic way that would of a piece with its silly premise, as opposed to warping it into a more adult-style Welcome to the NHK comedy. I usually found some decent laughs in any given episode, but there were just too many long stretches were nothing funny, interesting or non-irritating happened.

I mostly kept up with it because I'm a big Elsie fan and I actually found the second season reasonably enjoyable on its own terms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3