• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katsucon 18: Funimation Entertainment Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation shows are also on ... XBox Live.

I suppose we do learn something new every day. I'll have to check this out. Could be an opportunity to close my Netflix account since the only reason I have it is to watch anime on it. It's currently suspended because the CEO doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Quote:
"there is no Nanoha in the future for us right now."

Kickstarter, please. You give us what it'll take to bring it to the US and we'll throw baskets of cash to get it. Deal?

Now, some questions:
Strike Witches 2?

Shana II? I know this is wrapped up in the whole Geneon fiasco, but anything, even if it's to say "Indefinitely shelved", is better than nothing.

I'd hate to find out the license gets here but the original VAs have long since retired of doing roles, or worse, have passed away, by the time it's ready.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Funimation recently said on one of their Youtube con-things that they hope to get Shana stuff out this year. That's something, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Funimation recently said on one of their Youtube con-things that they hope to get Shana stuff out this year. That's something, I guess.

My hero.

*smooches
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Did you type 'should' before checking to see if the article had already been fixed?

In the spirit of talking about research, the reporter used a nickname for one of the presenters. Here is her bio on ANN, so folks know who Sully is.

person#96378
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Katsucon is still alive? I say it this way because I look forward to hearing industry and license panels and for the past few years Katsucon has been really quiet. I know it's in Feb every year, but I hardly ever see may posts, but anyway...

So Funimation, what the heck happened to Toaru Index/Railgun series that you licensed? When is that supposed to happen?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

In the spirit of talking about research, the reporter used a nickname for one of the presenters. Here is her bio on ANN, so folks know who Sully is.

person#96378

I've corrected her name in the article. Thanks for pointing it out.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
NP.

Thanks for the edit. Hope your people had as much fun at Katsucon as I did Very Happy
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
That last little bit about Hellsing has me pumped. It's been so long with no word about it that I'm excited to just hear that something is being done, even if it wasn't very specific.

At last, we're getting closer to an actual release date. It will be interesting to see what they come up with as far as packaging, limited editions, etc are concerned.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Wait, will we be able to get the first season on bluray?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Took a spin on the 360 this evening to take a look at some of the anime titles offered on the console, and it's rather... interesting. I suppose with the Netflix account, would the "anime app" be necessary?

In doing a quick look, I noticed there's a per-item cost to view/download and I'm concerned about this.

DRM is never in the customer's interest and I'm definitely not going this route until there's some guarantee the titles remain forever available, even if FUNimation should no longer have the license.

If not, then the asking price is unacceptable for a lease until removal.

This is the very reason the DTO program failed FUNimation. I know there's some stupid belief this is to protect against piracy but these titles are already out there and it's stupid to punish customers who pay because of it.

I've said my piece. I need much more information than just "Hey, download from our app, k!"
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

uhhh, are there many shana fans waiting for a bluray release of the first season? I would be very surprised to see it make it to market.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

uhhh, are there many shana fans waiting for a bluray release of the first season? I would be very surprised to see it make it to market.

I've mentioned this else where - unless Funi does its own upscale the Japanese upscale is absolutely terrible. Detail is smeared away in both the first and second seasons (season 1 isn't as bad, but that's not saying much).

The good thing is that Funi will probably release the second season as a combo pack so you potentially get the better video quality of the dvds unless Funi messes the mastering up.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Still no Nanoha StrikerS. I'm a sad panda. Sad Especially since Funimation seems very intent on making sure it stays off Youtube.

Oh, well. Maybe someday.

Given the quote from Sheehan that was mentioned, we StrikerS fans should cast our hopes elsewhere.

Sentai? NIS? Anyone?
jlaking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
So Funimation, what the heck happened to Toaru Index/Railgun series that you licensed? When is that supposed to happen?

Those are wrapped up in the whole Geneon fiasco.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Those are wrapped up in the whole Geneon fiasco.

WHAAAAAT? How that be the case? I don't recall Geneon planning on releasing them Funimation supposed licensed the first half. Unless there's an issue with Geneon overseas. You'll have to explain what I might have missed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3