• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Street Fighter X Tekken

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any money either; my problem isn't with people complaining about DLC in general, it's with people complaining about THIS GAME in particular. I mean, go on the GameFAQs board, and every 3rd topic is 'omg, 12 characters on disc, is Capcom the greediest company in history? Disgusting, I'll never buy a game from them again!' You'd swear this game was like, severely lacking compared to other stuff they've put out, but it totally isn't.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
Review wrote:
…and the Street Fighters don't mingle with the Tekken side.

Wait a minute: you can't pair SFs with Tekken fighters on the same team? I mean, the game looks really good and all, but not being able to form dream tag teams really takes much of the allure out of it. That, and I'm not too fond of the traditional/Tekken Tag-esque rule of a team losing if just one partner dies. It sort of takes some of the neater aspects out of team-ups and doesn't feel all that different from playing a single-player mode.

I'm pretty sure he meant they don't mingle in the story sequences or cutscenes - meaning f you have Guile and, uh, I dunno, that Tekken panda on the same team, that won't be reflected in the story mode cutscenes.

Ah, OK. I re-read it and I see what you mean. In that respect, it's pretty disappointing in its own right, though, thankfully, nowhere near as much as what I had originally thought of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
At this point, Capcom could probably reveal that they are secretly a bunch of Neo Badds and it wouldn't phase me.

There was so much potential in this game; Capcom VS Namco, anyone? A game where I could use Megaman (Not that fat POS that they attempt to assault Sony users with) and Lloyd to fight Klonoa and Pac-man (IN wood robot man because that was a cool idea)?

No, you get two games that barely fit in terms of game-play and a complete slap in the face with a crowbar to the mega-man community that probably should have been pulled as quickly as Legends 3 was but wasn't because Ono has proved himself to be a massive dick in this regard.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Translation: I am an angry Megaman fan that doesn't really care about Street Fighter or Tekken anyway, and is just using this game as an excuse to complain more about MML3 being canceled.

Boxart MegaMan is hilarious. Anyone who is mad about it needs to reevaluate why they play video games.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
There was so much potential in this game; Capcom VS Namco, anyone?

LOL, that would be something. Imagine, one stage could be an airbase and you see Cipher and Pixy's planes parked in the background. Razz
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Translation: I am an angry Megaman fan that doesn't really care about Street Fighter or Tekken anyway, and is just using this game as an excuse to complain more about MML3 being canceled.

Boxart MegaMan is hilarious. Anyone who is mad about it needs to reevaluate why they play video games.

I liked SF 4 when it was one game and not the alpha for SF 4 arcade.

And Bad Boxart MegaMan is the Exclaimation point in Capcom's campain to go from a company that seemed to be geting back into the game with SF 4 and Megman 9 to the flamebaiting group of dimwits we have today.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
So how long did you play this? Half your review are just opinions from other people that barely played the game.

There a some imbalances (there always are when a competitive game comes out) but a good player can overcome the "gems" because they don't give enough of an advantage to win any games.

For example, let quote from the article:

"auto-blocking, while another lets a player automatically escape throws at the cost of a little energy from their super meter (effectively making them immune to a legitimate tactic)."

You're joking right? I'm not high level let alone mid level (in terms of competitive play) but you CAN'T block when your frames are active. Auto Block is a DISADVANTAGE to anyone using the gem. There's no advantage to it.

I give the benefit of the doubt for most reviews because Fighting games are one of the most technical games you can play besides RTS. You won't know the games flaws and advantages until you put at least a hundred hours in it because it is that in depth and technical. Just like how in sports its takes thousand of hours to be good in a sport, same with RTS and fighting games.

Last edited by nhat on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Monster in a box wrote:

I liked SF 4 when it was one game and not the alpha for SF 4 arcade.

And Bad Boxart MegaMan is the Exclaimation point in Capcom's campain to go from a company that seemed to be geting back into the game with SF 4 and Megman 9 to the flamebaiting group of dimwits we have today.

How does this post do anything other than reinforce the point I was making?...
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
hmm well see vids of of it give bit no yet nintendo version of it who knows if pull sequel maybe also SF vs tekken vs KOF yea make bigger crossover fighter.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

You're joking right? I'm not high level let alone mid level (in terms of competitive play) but you CAN'T block when your frames are active. Auto Block is a DISADVANTAGE to anyone using the gem. There's no advantage to it.

Also, meter in this game (even if they do kinda give it for free; me and my friends played games where we would have like 3 meters by the end of the 1st round) is very important given that you'd normally need it to tag out safely (on block or on hit) or extend your combos in general.

I mean, unless you wanna play like a scrub and do chain launcher all the time, but the difference in damage between using the just-frame (?) links and the mashable chains is significantly large.

That said, my actual problem with gems is like the logistics or whatever: which are actually going to be allowed in tournaments and which aren't? Will there be inconsistencies between majors?

Tight or Fight here in Norcal banned them for their event, but there's talk that maybe they'll let gems rock in the future?

ANYWAY, you can turn the gems off in the customization screen and I saw Honzo Gonzo on his stream a few nights ago with Ryan Hunter playing without gems and they were bodying people online who were using gems, such as the auto-tech one.

Overall though, I'm not sure how I feel with the damage buff gems, actually...

It's only week 1 and I'm doing like 40%-50% combos (with meter, of course)...

It will only get more ridiculous from here and I'm to understand that the gems that you pay for are even more dumb than what you got with the initial purchase.

That said, I'm very pleased with the game: the footsies are excellent and, while the combo-system doesn't have as much freedom as UMVC3 allows, you can still do some pretty cool things with different combinations of characters:

http://youtu.be/3vCeuFTaCyc

http://youtu.be/A6DUi3sNvCc

http://youtu.be/G2_wxXN8N7Y

(take note that these loops are not practical in terms of damage output and meter usage; I'm just showing people what you could potentially do when you wanna tag your partner in during a combo)

They changed a lot of things from SFIV, such as how wakeup and throws work... when you get that knockdown, the player standing has to make a legit read and the player knocked down has to play serious defense in order to get out of pressure.

(personally, I think people complaining about the roll mechanic are like whatever; I played Honzo at Starbase last week and he read mine just fine)

While there's still mashable reversals in SfxT (such as Poison's DP), they're not as dumb as they were in SFIV and will a lot of the time get stuffed by a meaty.

(I puked rainbows when I was able to stuff Zangief's wakeup lariat with a crossup meaty)

Overall, I think Pavo (?) said it best during the Tight or Fight stream:

(epic paraphrase)

"When I lose, I feel like I actually got outplayed.... and not because Honda did light head-butt on wakeup."

It's a good game...

Even though Capcom still practices arguably fraudulent business practices.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Quote:
− the full game isn't available

Yes it is. The game is fully featured, and gives people exactly what it promises on the box, and exactly what Capcom has said it would include.
Depends on which version you get. The 360 version of the game doesn't allow online co-op with two players on the same console, even though the game manual says the feature is there. And Capcom didn't bother telling anyone they left out the feature until everyone started complaining about it.

I don't particularly mind DLC characters and whatnot, but at the same time, the way they handled exclusive gems (depends on where you preordered it) and Sony-exclusive characters makes it that much harder for this game to be used in a competitive setting.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Quote:
− the full game isn't available

Yes it is. The game is fully featured, and gives people exactly what it promises on the box, and exactly what Capcom has said it would include.

The fact that six months down the line (or however long it is) they're going to make more available doesn't make it incomplete. And no, you're not entitled to that stuff, nor do you 'own' it just because that data is on the disk, either.

Not true in this case. The DLC for this game is already on the disc. Much like the multiplayer for Resident Evil 5, all you're downloading is an unlock code. This material was done soon enough that it made it on the disc with everything else, yet you have to pay extra for it.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
We know. Everyone knows. That's not what the post was saying.

And the scramble mode thing seems like nitpicking. I mean, complaining about it IS legit, but I feel like you're just looking for a loophole in the argument, since the scramble mode problem isn't what I'm seeing hundreds of people whining endlessly about. It is a freaking video game people.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
I mean, go on the GameFAQs board, and

There's your problem. Video game forums are literally the worst places you can go to find intelligent discussions.

Anyway, yeah, on-disk/day one DLC is awful. Was bad when Mass Effect did it a few weeks ago, and it's bad now. Though Mass Effect is probably even worse since it was story-reliant DLC (not that DLC could save that horrible mess of a story)

This is generally why I don't buy games new anymore. I wait til it's about 30 bucks, so then any DLC will fill out the price back up to 60. Or I wait for a Gold/Game of the Year addition. Or it's a Wii game with no real DLC.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Street Fighter x Tekken happens to be a video game. All forums are awful, and in my experience anime forums are even worse than video game forums. Smile

My point is, if you go on any other fighting game's gamefaqs forum, you don't see nearly as much complaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3