• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funi Adds Seikishi, Yamato: R, One Piece: Strong World, Fairy Tail Film, Akira

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
More One Piece AND Strong World?

Shut up and take my money!!!!!!!

That's an understatement.

Though i am glad they license strong world and new epsiodes will be coming out, it sucks as hell that we have to wait until in 2013 in order to see water seven as well as Enies Lobby arc.

By the time Impel Down & Paramount War arc are secured for a US release, it'll probably be around 2016 before we can see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I advise against dismissing Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ as a fanservice anime like that. I have little love for fanservice. Just ask around; my bona fides as a stick-in-the-mud are pretty solid, but even so, I liked the show a lot. There is abundant nudity and there's little arguing that it's not in some sense exploitative, but it lacks the puerility and humiliation characteristic of fanservice anime. What's more, Sayo Yamamoto and Mari Okada had thematic ambitions considerably greater than a typical fanservice show could accommodate. To this end, I'll commend to you, as I have whenever the series comes up, parts one, two and three of Violence Jill's analysis of the series, the third part of which includes some links to other opinions of it.

Hear, hear on that whole fanservice thang. Oh, and thanks for reminding me about returning to Violence Jill's Room's analysis of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine... can't believe I forgot to check back in on her blog for the third part of that little series. Going back to the show itself, I may yet decide to get this on Blu-Ray... though I doubt there'd be anyone close to me that'd be willing to put up with the risque visulas, so it'd be most likely be the sort of solo viewing had when no family/roommate is awake or inside the house. What fun. /sarcasm

Can't say I'm too excited about what'd been 'unveiled' in these announcements. Maybe I haven't been following what Funimation has gotten its mitts on in the past well enough, but it's kinda been my personal assumption that pretty much everything-streamed-not-Tatami-Galaxy is bound to get a physical release by FUNI somewhere down the line. Thus things like Fujiko Mine's home video rights met no new reaction for me. As for the other stuff, they seem like extensions of long-running franchises that I don't have the energy to follow (though hey, hats off to you fans) or re-packaging of a movie that I didn't care for all that much (Sorry, Akira.... though admittedly, I would be curious if there were multiple English dubs with the new BD, one of them being a FUNI dub).

.... I'm not the only one that was wishing to hear them say here that they acquired Mawaru Penguindrum, right? Razz Hope to hear something of that show soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
opn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
@American14 Someone has penguindrum according to NISA but since funi didn't announce it here i doubt its them. Sentai seems more likely.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
As a couple of years passed on I was beginning to worry that Iseika would not be licensed, but now it is huzzah.

I will say they should have gone with the real title, Saint Knights Tale, the War on Geminar title is kinda of lame but then again Funi is bad with titles.

And for the guy who asks, the connection with with Tenchi is this: it takes place in the OVA contium, Rhea who Tenchi's dad marries in OVA 3, and is shown to be pregnant in GXP, is Kenshi's mother. Kenshi shares the same dad with Tenchi, hence half brothers. The other connection is that Washu is sort of shown in the beginning, and its hinted that her and/or the other Chousin sent Kenshi to this new world. Kenshi occasionally references his "sisters" aka Tenchi's "wives" throughout the series as well, and clearly they refer to Ryoko, Aeka, Sasami, etc.

I knew about the OVA connection, but didn' t know about it being referenced throughout the series, so thanks for that info. I guess that makes it much less of a tack on, though I'd still prefer something closer to the original title.

Tenchi GXP at least took place in the same world even if it barely featured the original cast, so that made sense, I just thought it might only be as connected as say, Dual! was, which would be quite a stretch based on the content of the show, even if Kajishima acknowledges their relationship.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
I think the Tenchi Muyo is valid, because generally speaking Tenchi Muyo! refers to the ova continuum, distinguishing it from the universe and tokyo continuums.

I haven't gotten around to learning Japanese yet, so maybe I was hasty in saying real title, but at least its what the show has been known by in the English speaking community since it came out.

^if you are a fan of the original you will catch refs here and there, and Kenshi may or may not be able to use a certain technique that Tenchi and Yosho can Wink ; I will say its more fantasy then gxp or the main ova series, but I think it does at least as well as gxp in keeping the charm of the main series even without Tenchi; besides this series doing well may eventually lead to the legendary 4th ova series down the road.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
@American14 Someone has penguindrum according to NISA but since funi didn't announce it here i doubt its them. Sentai seems more likely.

Yeah, I had heard that bit about NISA saying that they didn't have it, and hence my hopes of having heard something of it by Saturday. (Has that statement been corroborated with anything else, by the way? Or do we just have that 1-2 twitter/forum posting to go off of?)

I still hope that FUNI has it, though (is there another convention coming up where they could make an announcement...?). Sentai having it wouldn't sit as well with me, due to how I feel it could be treated as just another anime in their deluge of recent acquisitions, the possibility that it could get a subbed dvd-only release, and my possibly-unfounded fears that Steven Foster might be a real ass about directing and reversioning an Ikuhara script should he be in charge of a dub for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I think the Tenchi Muyo is valid, because generally speaking Tenchi Muyo! refers to the ova continuum, distinguishing it from the universe and tokyo continuums.

I haven't gotten around to learning Japanese yet, so maybe I was hasty in saying real title, but at least its what the show has been known by in the English speaking community since it came out.

^if you are a fan of the original you will catch refs here and there, and Kenshi may or may not be able to use a certain technique that Tenchi and Yosho can Wink ; I will say its more fantasy then gxp or the main ova series, but I think it does at least as well as gxp in keeping the charm of the main series even without Tenchi; besides this series doing well may eventually lead to the legendary 4th ova series down the road.

So this Tenchi Muyo OVA doesn't even contain Tenchi Muyo? I'm surprised no one has brought up the possibility of this carrying Toonami through Winter 2012/2013 once both Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins finish their runs. Has to be both, since the 45-minute runtime is clunky. So what if it doesn't actually contain Tenchi? It would be a nostalgia title and something new all rolled into one!
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
On second thought, Winter 2012/2013 is probably too soon; after all, they haven't even announced a partial dub cast. But I'd be remiss not to suggest that FUNi is developing Tenchi Muyo! War On Geminar and Lupin III: Woman Called Fujiko Mine for Toonami next summer. Those two titles deserve a higher-profile release than the Funimation channel!
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
By the time Impel Down & Paramount War arc are secured for a US release, it'll probably be around 2016 before we can see it.

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait to watch it with the amazing FUNimation dub cast though.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
I'm really torn on the One Piece. I'm SO HAPPY we're getting more episodes and a new movie.

But sad because I've been so out of touch with the show, I don't know where to jump back in. The last I watched of the sub simulcast was during the Impel Down arc. I started putting off watching the new episodes (mostly because of work) And because of a shortage of money at the time I've neglected to buy their DVD releases.

I haven't even seen Strong World yet. Definitely will buy, but I'm not sure if I want my initial viewing to be sub or dub GAH!
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Akira? Yikes.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know Akira was homeless. Didn't Sony have it before this?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I didn't even know Akira was homeless. Didn't Sony have it before this?

No, it was Bandai.
killerjaws12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
finally well get to see franky and brook dubbed this is gonna be awesome Very Happy
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Actually this just occurred to me, has the releases of One Piece hit Franky yet? Or has he not yet been cast?

The movie has both Franky and Brook so will the people who voice them in the movie be the same people they are going to use if they reach that point in the T.V. series? I mean they could have different people voice them I guess, but it might be weird. Just a thought.

Patrick Seitz is already confirmed to be Franky. Brook will have to be cast though, hopefully it'll be someone like Chris Ayres or J. Michael Tatum.

It better be someone who can sing, because Brook sings, and they better be as good as the Seyuu. That is all. Also, I'm way behind on collecting this series, getting my rear in gear to buy the rest of One Piece! The arc I want to see legally is finally here!

I was sorely tempted to buy One Piece: Strong World straight from Japan, now I don't have to! My patience paid off!

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13