• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Comments Further on Vampire Bund Edits

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Well if you want to bring age into it I'm not going to entertain your silly little quibble by even indicating what my age is, because regardless of what it is (who knows, I may even be close to your age) I have a mindset that is flexible to the concerns of younger generations and modern viewpoints, unlike dinosaurs like you where your age REALLY SHOWS in the words that you use.

-.-;; That precisely means that immaturity is pretty high these days.

The age isn't relevant here, your right. Some people can be mature than others but geeze. I'm a "younger generation" (since you're referring to people like us that way).

Past wrote:

And furthermore I don't see how what I expressed was an unwillingness to compromise. My position is the compromise: to keep the edits as they are on the streaming version but encourage the suggestion (not demand - I wrote a letter to them and demanded nothing) to release an uncensored DVD. Your unwillingness to offer the possibility that Funimation could release an unedited DVD because to do so would be unquestionably in violation of the law (it's not) is where the lack of compromise exists.

That's not a lack of compromise. Like he said, he would accept either way if it was edited or not. Loli definitely isn't my cup of tea. Of course this series is not meant to accommodate to younger viewers; And I could understand why it would be a big deal for a fan why an edit of an original is a bit upsetting. On the other had, I've seen anime edited where it doesn't completely follow the manga because of "questionable content."

I do know other countries edit shows from Japan overseas so this isn't anything new to me. [ex) Sailor Stars in China]. However, this scene is explicit fanservice. It doesn't even have to do with the original storyline and being that the property is Funi's right now, they can do whatever they want. As for the DVDs being unedited, I could care less if they cut out that scene. The manga is original enough for me.

-.- also, please...same sex-marriages shouldn't really be comparative to an anime edit. Trust me, because if you tried to stand up for this particular debate and the country voted on this, you'd be screwed. The power of us (aka the consumer), is a very, very tiny population. Just sayin.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
@ Tuor_of_Gondolin thank you for your support, it's nice to see there are some with sensibility and a sense of reason around here, along with several other contributors I've seen. My goal is to help make the voice of the fans heard where those fans exist. I fight in the way I know how and PJ suggests I need to take the battle to the policy makers and the public square. Now this has filled me with the determination to do just that. Apparently just talking to the fans and giving feedback to businesses is not enough.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Having now seen the edited version, why didn't they use the TV-MX version not the AT-X , as that already had censor(by ommision) for the things they blurred (bar one), the cut is still glaringly obvious tho'. I await what they've done to ep 7, the start of ep 8 looks the same as TV version so I assume it isn't too much.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Having now seen the edited version, why didn't they use the TV-MX version not the AT-X , as that already had censor(by ommision) for the things they blurred (bar one), the cut is still glaringly obvious tho'. I await what they've done to ep 7, the start of ep 8 looks the same as TV version so I assume it isn't too much.

they probably don't have the rights to that edit without paying tv-mx for them. So it's much faster to do the edits yourself then negotiate with a third party like the tv station, who has little incentive to be accomodating.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I interject and tell you (and others) that you're fighting the wrong battle, and you turn and try to tell me otherwise. Past, you're full of yourself and I'm pretty damn tired of you telling me how things work. I know better. I know telling a company to not edit the DVD isn't a fight. It's a child asking for candy.
I highly doubt Funimation, through my communication with them, or even them reviewing these threads will be seen as me picking any type of fight. Again I've made no demands, my letter was polite and I merely asked that they release an unedited version. If there's someone I'm picking a fight with it's you PJ. I'll even submit that I have been whiny and bitchy on a few occasions, but it's because I have a problem with you personally and your opinions. But hey this is the internet, what else is new?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I interject and tell you (and others) that you're fighting the wrong battle, and you turn and try to tell me otherwise. Past, you're full of yourself and I'm pretty damn tired of you telling me how things work. I know better. I know telling a company to not edit the DVD isn't a fight. It's a child asking for candy.
I highly doubt Funimation, through my communication with them, or even them reviewing these threads will be seen as me picking any type of fight. Again I've made no demands, my letter was polite and I merely asked that they release an unedited version.
Well it seems they read your message and are going to do just that. Lets all go to the bar for a celebratory milk shake, shall we?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well it seems they read your message and are going to do just that. Lets all go to the bar for a celebratory milk shake, shall we?
You can have a milk shake if you want, I'm buying a round of Crown Royal shots for everyone!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

The fact is companies do actually listen to their fanbase/consumer base if they express themselves properly. A well written actual letter will often get read. Putting the time and effort to write a letter in this day and age is rarer and rarer and shows that the consumer is serious. The same often applies when you write a letter ti your local congressman or state senator. You may not get a response but your chances of having your letter read are much higher then simply writing some quick email over teh net. I also fail to see how a consumer writing to a company with a specific request that pertains to that companies product is a "child asking for candy" PJ. I mean companies that provide a product need to pay attention to their consumers and the market as it changes to ensure they keep making money. If a consumer is not satisfied with a product and voices this opinion via a well drafted letter to the company they're exercising their given right as a consumer to voice their opinion. Saying they're just a child asking for candy is rather narrow minded and belittling to people who are trying to voice their opinions to a company. Wether it's to include or exclude an edit, stop adding so much spice to their canned tomatoes, or whatever the issue is with the product in question. Are you saying the consumer should just shut up and deal with it and not have an opinion and voice it?

Past wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
You can have a milk shake if you want, I'm buying a round of Crown Royal shots for everyone!

You always were one of my favorite people Past lol. Wink
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Are you saying the consumer should just shut up and deal with it and not have an opinion and voice it?

Of course not. However, I don't feel confident many of those messages were sent with "Dear FUNimation, I'd like to voice my opinion regarding the edit and ask you reconsider." mannerisms.

I'd love to be proven wrong in this regard. I'd gladly eat crow, sans ketchup, with a huge smile on my face knowing anime fans objected to the edit with maturity rather than demands, insults, threats, and accusations of censorship.

Sadly, and I do mean sadly, 42 pages of hate tells me otherwise.
keikanki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Sadly, and I do mean sadly, 42 pages of hate tells me otherwise.

Of course. The outrage of many of those posts had nothing to do with PetrifiedJello and a couple of other people actively accusing Bund's defenders of being whiney closet pedophiles in denial. Wink

No, the only logical explanation for the hate is that those people are mentally unbalanced deviants whose concerns are founded in psychosexual mania. Neat how it all fits so nicely in the pigeonhole like that, iddnit?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
keikanki wrote:
Of course. The outrage of many of those posts had nothing to do with PetrifiedJello and a couple of other people actively accusing Bund's defenders of being whiney closet pedophiles in denial. Wink

You know, ever since I became a member, one thing irritates the hell out of me. That irritation is the site's emoticons aren't anime style. Now I'm sure this is because of the software in use, but I still find it irritating.

I should design some new ones and submit them to ANN. Because there are about 20 I'd throw against this reply, with several being those featuring the anger "crosses".

Why the anger? Because I've read your remark several times, hitting the wink, and can't figure out what the hell you're trying to say here.

Quote:
No, the only logical explanation for the hate...

Logical explanation... hate... eh? There's a logical explanation? Color me pink as I sit here basking in ineptitude.

Continuing...

Quote:
...is that those people are mentally unbalanced deviants whose concerns are founded in psychosexual mania. Neat how it all fits so nicely in the pigeonhole like that, iddnit?

I'm rather concerned what you're stuffing in the pigeonhole per my remarks. "Pedo"? Wha???

So, you're telling me you took my words to think I'm attacking those who want the scene remaining as "pedos"?

WHA?????

Yeah, those anime emoticons would be real useful here.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
You know, ever since I became a member, one thing irritates the hell out of me. That irritation is the site's emoticons aren't anime style. Now I'm sure this is because of the software in use, but I still find it irritating.

Pretty sure we're using the phpBB defaults and you can usually add more. I have a copy of the original "anime-style" smilies used on the old AoD forums as per

http://web.archive.org/web/20060505232956/http://www.criticalanime.com/smilies/

They are free for "non-commercial" use, not sure whether ANN qualified as non-commercial though, and not seen Kris for ages to ask him, unless he's changed his nick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11