• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-08-25]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

WOw, to think YOU are doing the exact same thing~! Laughing

Oh, this time, before comming up with a snazzy little statement, read my whole post why don'tcha.

I download fansubs cause I'm going to buy the dvds anyway, by the way. Yes, I've even, (heaven forbid), rented something, What's your excuse? Are you going to buy those music cd's you download, or do you legally download them using iTunes, like I do? Question

...Oh, wait...you think just because it's on the interenet it's free, your own words, by the way. Nothing is ever free, someone had to pay for it.

There is never any free.

Careful now, I love twisting things back on people; I'm a Sadist by the way not to mention slightly psychotic. Wink

Oh, by the way, fansubs aren't bad, as I said, its the people who abuse the system. I personally can live without fansubs (considering Anime is not a neccesity to life).

Bad Fansub USERS are the only bad part about the fansub society. Those that ONLY watch fansubs make it look like, when the DVDs are released, that it isn't worth the time and money put in to it (something of a wasted effort, have you) and makes the price go higher for those that want to purchase them or only purchase them.

Who would ever believe that I'm both WITH and AGAINST fansubs, heaven forbid~! I'm a twisted person, I'll have you know, but I know there are limits...

I'm 23, have a big-arse student loan, go to college full time, and have a job, not to mention I find the time to keep updated on all videogame/anime news and invest time in my own personal creativity (my novels and illustrations; copic markers are expensive). If I can find a way to support the anime industry, then more than likely, so can you.

Bills, I'll have you, don't pay themselves. I'd hate to see Geneon (formerly Pioneer) or ADV go bankrupt because people don't buy their releases or because right after the disks are released you can find the ripped DvDs on the internet along side the Fansubs...

The people who freely use these ripped versions or fansubs as their copy and say "OmG, *insert series name* is my favorite anime of all time~! I can watch it a gazillion times and never get tired of it~!" while they don't support it. Those people are pissants and snips.

...Well, now that that is settled, I have one last thing to say~: Downloading music, yes even Celine Dion, on the internet has been found illegal. Yes, she is a rich b.i.t.c.h. but that doesn't justify the idea. Hypocrite. Rolling Eyes

No one is perfect nor can they know everything and sadly I'm am merely a pawn just like everyone else of this world; at least I will admit it...what say you?

Oh, and about stopping arguing...I live in the US...free speech thing and all...I can argue whenever, however, and as much as I like~ so...bite me, better yet...nah, nevermind you're not worth the joke and I'm sleepy.

...Now, I'm going to bed...

okay, now I know about your life, you are an honest and perfect student who needs to get an act on forums to get the coolness you CAN't get out of your million animes and VGs that you paid for (heh, an honest US citizen, freedom of speech, proud of student loan and all)...bravissimo. It's not free because it's on the internet but SOMETIMES I CAN GET IT FREE because it's there... ~~~~~~~bye, I don't care about fansubs because I just act according to my own beliefs~~~~~~~~ (feels as if there are some spanish «n»'s missing)

Last edited by epixeltwin on Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kamon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If on the other hand the author, or artist decides to allow his, or her work to be copied and distributed anywhere for free that is their right as well, but if their work is also their mortgage payment and meat on table I highly doubt that would happen.

It happens every day. The costs to actually pursue legal action against someone (especially someone in another country) are extremely high, obviously. Unless the person or organization in question is distributing your works en masse for profit, legal action beyond a simple C&D is nowhere close to being worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:

okay now I know about your life, you are a honest little perfect student who needs to play jackass on forums

Play nice, kids.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
That's the problem, this is all just play, aw well, it's no suprise, I'm part of it myself.

I wrote:
Quote:
It's not a question of it being bad, we know in the end it's bad, but people want it enough and it can be done easily enough that it's not going to be stopped, so what we do about it is important, or more rather the companies. What it all comes down to is the companies in the end can't fight it, they have to trive in it, they're going to have to eventually make and promote their own form of fansubs if they want to truely protect their properties, get the most out of them, and discourage illegal distribution.

Quote:
Seriously, anyone else want to agree with that or not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Steve007101 wrote:
That's the problem, this is all just play, aw well, it's no suprise, I'm part of it myself.

I wrote:
Quote:
It's not a question of it being bad, we know in the end it's bad, but people want it enough and it can be done easily enough that it's not going to be stopped, so what we do about it is important, or more rather the companies. What it all comes down to is the companies in the end can't fight it, they have to trive in it, they're going to have to eventually make and promote their own form of fansubs if they want to truely protect their properties, get the most out of them, and discourage illegal distribution.

Quote:
Seriously, anyone else want to agree with that or not?

That's the point I was trying to get across but someone likes to just read what they don't like and comment about it.

Fansubs aren't bad, but they're not innocent.

A good chunch of the people who work for these companies that sell the DvDs probably were, once in their life, a part of the fansub society (anime has only been a cult following for around 10 years). Surely someone didn't just wake up one day and say: "letz work for teh anime industry~!" (intentional typo).

These companies probably use bittorent tracker information to process posibilities. I would but this does remain my theory. For if Fansubs' popularity didn't play some part, why did it take series such as Fullmetal Alchemist to past it's halfway point to become liscenced? It was clearly popular and the fansub comunity did prove such a thing could carry over.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
(anime has only been a cult following for around 10 years)

Wow, this is totally wrong. Do you really think anime fandom has only been around since 1996?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wow, this is totally wrong. Do you really think anime fandom has only been around since 1996?

Maybe she meant anime as a cult following has no longer been a cult for the last 10 years.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
For if Fansubs' popularity didn't play some part, why did it take series such as Fullmetal Alchemist to past it's halfway point to become liscenced? It was clearly popular and the fansub comunity did prove such a thing could carry over.
There are these things called negotations and bidding wars. You can't exactly license a title immediately when every other company out there wants it too. It didn't need the fansub community to prove it. FMA is in that list of "No DUH" titles that are guaranteed to come over

In addition, some people don't realize that some companies sit on license announcements until they get within a certain time period of the release date (so that the fans aren't kept waiting) or until the TV sublicense contracts are signed. And then there are some companies which announce it as soon as the ink dries. (Hint: Funimation is one of the former, not the later).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
Kitsune_Cool wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

And Kitsune_Cool, I don't think my posts have any pattern of systematic insulting, and unless you've been lurking for awhile, I don't know how you'd have enough information to judge.

Unnh, I wasn't really talking about you specifically, Zalis, I just liked that guy's answer because it was FUNNY. Looking back, I can see how you might think that last bit was for you, but rest assured, it wasn't. I was talking about others I've seen who post things just because they know it will piss someone off or start an argument.
Nah, it's okay, Past and I talked/laughed about this thread in general over a beer this past Saturday night. So it's all good.
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'm confused by how you defined "anime" in Japan. Does the term "anime" encompass all animation like the word "animation" encompasses it in America, or does "anime" also hold special connotations in Japan? I.e., would Mickey Mouse be considered "anime" in Japan just like we consider it "animation" overseas, or since it's not of Japanese origin would it fall under a differient category?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
Wakaiba wrote:
I'm confused by how you defined "anime" in Japan. Does the term "anime" encompass all animation like the word "animation" encompasses it in America, or does "anime" also hold special connotations in Japan? I.e., would Mickey Mouse be considered "anime" in Japan just like we consider it "animation" overseas, or since it's not of Japanese origin would it fall under a differient category?

In Japan, Mickey Mouse is as much anime as Astro Boy, it's just their word for "animation" or "cartoons."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kamon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Wakaiba wrote:

In Japan, Mickey Mouse is as much anime as Astro Boy, it's just their word for "animation" or "cartoons."

Let's be thorough, though, otherwise people are going to take things the wrong way, as they are apt to do. Japan doesn't just simply call all animation "anime" and leave it at that. They add regional qualifiers; stuff from the US is called "American anime," for example.

lol semantics
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Kitsune_Cool wrote:
Unnh, I wasn't really talking about you specifically, Zalis, I just liked that guy's answer because it was FUNNY. Looking back, I can see how you might think that last bit was for you, but rest assured, it wasn't. I was talking about others I've seen who post things just because they know it will piss someone off or start an argument.

This is lame. Why is everyone on here so hell bent on fighting? I thought this was a place to go where people could talk about something that they love with other fans, maybe even laugh a little, but every forum I've been in is always on the verge of exploding into an immature cat fight. (Again, don't take this personally. And yes, I do lurk sometimes, because I've been out of high school for a time now and I really don't find much fun in trading insults on an online forum.)

Goodnight all, have a blast, I'm going out to have a drink with a very cute geek I met at the Ren faire last weekend.

Anime smile

Hmm, I assume you were refering to me and Mint. Personally, I was just pissed off about something else at the moment. I can't speak for Mint, but it was probably just because he doesn't like Zac. Why he brought it up now, I have no idea, he's random like that.

As for the insults... I don't recall using any. Personally, I try to refrain from using insults on forums period, they don't add anything to arguements really. I pointed out how I think he should follow his own rules on the forums and implied some hypocrisy in what he said before, but I didn't once call him any sort of insult, and neither did Mint actually.

Hmm, I don't think I start arguements that often though. If you know my style of posting, I often leave arguements (generally, when they get out of hand or I find them to be pointless or going in circles), so I'm not really the kind of person who argues that often. Although, I admit that I do sometimes.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Hmm, I assume you were refering to me and Mint. Personally, I was just pissed off about something else at the moment. I can't speak for Mint, but it was probably just because he doesn't like Zac. Why he brought it up now, I have no idea, he's random like that.

The problem is that Mint Mania is obviously just trolling threads about my column - all of his posts have either been angrily trolling the lolicon thread or going out of his way to antagonize me, and I'm not sure what it's like on other anime forums but generally you don't do that sort of thing to the forum moderator.

If he were actually interested in becoming part of this community then great, but it's extremely obvious why he's here and right now the guy's on thin ice. I don't really have to tolerate someone whose sole existence is to troll me.

And again, I explained what was up with that location rule. I'm not exempt from the rules, but then neither are plenty of other people on the forum who don't explicitly have location and state listed; it's not designed to be totalitarian and unflexible, it's designed to stop people from putting insulting, trollish remarks or swearing in their location fields. I'm going to see about having that rule reworded; as it is, it's unnecessarily strict.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15