• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dimension W

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
The action might be gutted by tension-draining monochromatic backgrounds, the plot and characters might be far too predictable, and the pacing and foreshadowing might be absolutely abominable, but Dimension W has consistently delivered on the most important benefits that it offers.

Namely, Mira being cute and robutt viewing.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Heya!

Just dropping by to vehemently agree with the reviewer. At this point I might as well read fanfiction instead of staring at 24 minutes of a mumbo-jumbo lump of exposition. I gave this episode 2 stars (& feeling generous).

Though I can also see @zrnzle500's point: in the right frame of mind I am sure a leninent viewer might find true enjoyment in this show. For example, Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) comes to mind as another non-sensical trainwreck that I was actually able to emotionally attach to (I didn't care about the storyline, I just loved the characters). Dimension W isn't cutting it for me tho, the only reason I keep at it is to figure out whether Mira is Miyabi's reincarnation or not.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Apparently it can't capture the reviewer or be fun and entertaining for her either. It's like she's decided that it is bad and will not change that opinion unless she can no longer credibly do so. Not the first time it's happened. The reviewer says they cannot think of anything positive, but it seems to be a failure of imagination, and I am not convinced they are trying to find any even small positives.

I'm not sure the reviewer is putting much effort to try to understand the mechanics of the show's universe either. Dimension W is one of possibilities. Those ghosts in the mansion several episodes ago were from an alternate universe where the mystery author saved his friends from the dam breaking instead of his girlfriend and interacted with the existing universe as ghosts. Memories work in to the dimension as those possibilities must be stored somewhere, as with the previously mentioned murder mystery mansion arc, which the possibility that the author saved his friends etc. was stored in Dimension W. And as reality is one of those possibilities and memories are just stored prior versions of reality, it is not inconsistent that memories are accessible and stored in Dimension W. As to teleportation, it is being used to teleport things, not that Dimension W is teleportation, whatever than means. As to souls, I'd put that to a artistic license. Perhaps mind might work, though it would come off as they went crazy when they go through the nothingness. Consciousness would undermine the severity they were trying to convey about going through nothingness. Despite its unscientificness, soul has the desired connotations that they are going for. While scientists generally would avoid using the word professionally, many of them, namely the religious ones, believe in souls, so it is not totally mentally dissonant to believe in science and souls. I'll admit most of this is junk science but to say it does not have an internal logic or overriding theme (namely possibility) is just wrong. It seems the reviewer was interpreting it in the most nonsensical way.

You are pretty much on point with the info.And while it might seem absurd, people who played the Infinity Series or Zero Escape Series of VNs would know that, while absent of proper scientific explanation, it does have a point about the stuff the plot introduce to us (btw, Steins;Gate anime abandoned 90% of its hard sci-fi presentation and I don't remember anyone saying it sucks, which is where this show fails to deliver: the execution of the overall plot).

With that said, I would also want to add that this show don't do the source material any justice (9 manga volumes in 11 episodes, and they will cram volume 10 as well in the next episode, finishing the arc).

If you want to see just how much of the plot was skipped and rushed so far, go read the manga. I know it's kinda unfair to say this in an anime-only discussion, but I remember the manga being fairly clever and properly explained, so, if you want to criticize the work, at least take some notes from the source material before doing so, it's not that much of a techno-babble.

Last edited by danpmss on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
^If only Amazon produced Dimension W and not Funi, and they got more episodes, who knows want we may have gotten, if the source material is as you say (I'll take your word at that).
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^If only Amazon produced Dimension W and not Funi, and they got more episodes, who knows want we may have gotten, if the source material is as you say (I'll take your word at that).

They did covered in some way most of the exposition heavy scenarios, I will give them that. However, just to make an example I mentioned at the beginning of this page, try comparing the mystery mansion arc in the manga vs in the anime.

That should point out enough.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

They did covered in some way most of the exposition heavy scenarios, I will give them that. However, just to make an example I mentioned at the beginning of this page, try comparing the mystery mansion arc in the manga vs in the anime.

That should point out enough.

It was a rhetorical question. I have little doubt it would be better, especially for those dissatisfied with what we got, which includes myself, though to a lesser degree than the reviewer and others here.
Zilan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this anime after the haunted mansion arc. It was just boring and I found I was only really watching it for the cute robot girl, who's name i forgot because i haven't watched it in a month. Oh well.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am well aware that Dimension W has squandered some of its potential, but episode 11 demonstrates that this show can still capture audiences thanks to its special propulsive energy.

This show is not that good, but it can still be fun and entertaining.

Apparently it can't capture the reviewer or be fun and entertaining for her either. It's like she's decided that it is bad and will not change that opinion unless she can no longer credibly do so. Not the first time it's happened. The reviewer says they cannot think of anything positive, but it seems to be a failure of imagination, and I am not convinced they are trying to find any even small positives.

I'm not sure the reviewer is putting much effort to try to understand the mechanics of the show's universe either. Dimension W is one of possibilities. Those ghosts in the mansion several episodes ago were from an alternate universe where the mystery author saved his friends from the dam breaking instead of his girlfriend and interacted with the existing universe as ghosts. Memories work in to the dimension as those possibilities must be stored somewhere, as with the previously mentioned murder mystery mansion arc, which the possibility that the author saved his friends etc. was stored in Dimension W. And as reality is one of those possibilities and memories are just stored prior versions of reality, it is not inconsistent that memories are accessible and stored in Dimension W. As to teleportation, it is being used to teleport things, not that Dimension W is teleportation, whatever than means. As to souls, I'd put that to a artistic license. Perhaps mind might work, though it would come off as they went crazy when they go through the nothingness. Consciousness would undermine the severity they were trying to convey about going through nothingness. Despite its unscientificness, soul has the desired connotations that they are going for. While scientists generally would avoid using the word professionally, many of them, namely the religious ones, believe in souls, so it is not totally mentally dissonant to believe in science and souls. I'll admit most of this is junk science but to say it does not have an internal logic or overriding theme (namely possibility) is just wrong. It seems the reviewer was interpreting it in the most nonsensical way.

Honestly,what positives are there at this point? The show has just collapsed on itself. The animation is garbage,direction is poor,and each episode is just shoving as much info as possible,with all it being told to the audience with a bunch of boring expository dialogue. I could get pass the terrible science if these characters were engaging in the slightest;everyone is just a vacuum of charisma.

It obvious at this point that the show needed 2 cours and a director who is actually interested in the material he's directing.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree it needed another cours, and have said as much. I don't agree that the animation is garbage. I've seen worse, both generally and this season. It needs to be quite bad to reach the level of garbage, and I don't think the designation should be thrown around so lightly. I can't say that I agree the characters are unengaging, but there isn't anything I could say to persuade you of that. I'm not writing it off as confirmation bias but rather that some of the aspects are subjective, and as such there isn't anything we can argue to persuade the other that it is or isn't entertaining. The execution certainly could be better, and this clearly isn't the director's strong suit.

I will agree with the poster early who spoke of Mira's cuteness being a factor in liking it, but that isn't the only reason I do. It may not be as good as it could be but I still find it entertaining enough.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Most of the characters are pretty one-note(all the coil hunters can be summed up with a few words). They try to go for some depth with Kyouma with his lost relationship,but they only spend 5 mins on that,so it's hard for me to care for that aspect(along with most of it being told and not showed). He's as not that engaging personality-wise (half of that has to do with the performance).Mira is just a cute moe character,and they havaven't really touched on their relationship at all. Then the action scenes are boring visual,shpt poorly,and boring on an emotional level.

Honestly the best praise I can give the show at this point is that it's watchable,but something I'll forgot after it's done airing.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Most of the characters are pretty one-note(all the coil hunters can be summed up with a few words). They try to go for some depth with Kyouma with his lost relationship,but they only spend 5 mins on that,so it's hard for me to care for that aspect(along with most of it being told and not showed). He's as not that engaging personality-wise (half of that has to do with the performance).Mira is just a cute moe character, and they haven't really touched on their relationship at all. Then the action scenes are boring visually, shot poorly, and boring on an emotional level.

Honestly the best praise I can give the show at this point is that it's watchable, but something I'll forgot after it's done airing.

Their characterization is certainly lacking, though for the side characters it isn't as necessary as the main characters. Action is what I meant that this isn't the director's strong suit. These just don't bother me as much I guess. I appreciate you can give it any praise though.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
I laughed madly at the Sophia reveal. I honestly could not stop laughing.

Also, apparently Seameyer can survive on pixie dust and possibility juice.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
I laughed madly at the Sophia reveal. I honestly could not stop laughing.

Also, apparently Seameyer can survive on pixie dust and possibility juice.

Lol XD

But seriously, this episode was the funniest episode so far without even trying to. Lackluster animation and fight scenes, boring science mumbo jumbo info dumps to the max, some extremely lame reveals, and topped off with Seameyer being a completely ridiculous villain.

Personally, I'm disappointed that Mira is basically a background character despite the OP and the ED billing her as one of the protagonists with Kyoma. I started watching this show because I thought Mira's design was cute and was looking forward to learning more about her. Instead we get to learn how many guys have dead wives as their angsty motivation. :/
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
You would figure in an animated medium, show, don't tell would be emphasized.

Infodumps are always a sore spot with me in said medium because they come off as lazy. Like this whole show.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the show but the ridiculous science mumbo jumbo is killing me. It did start out with a lot of promise but I think in the end I won't be totally disappointing and feel that it is still a totally okay show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13