• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interviews with Monster Girls

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The execution remains solid by genre standards, but I'd still like to see those loftier dramatic ambitions come back before the end of the season.

As long as it doesn't go beyond those. I don't want this show to turn into another Stella Women's Academy.

Not that I think it will, mind you. I'm just sayin'.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Sakie remains as adorable as I expected, I loved all the little details in how much big of a deal it looks like when she has to take off her jacket or put it back on, and when she does, man she looks beautiful. Same, Tetsuo, same.

Ragdollomega wrote:
Well the preview showed the professor from those chapters, so I would assume we go into that next episode.

And @ robbhammack, seriously, you need to put spoiler tags in.

And it has the same title, so yes, we are going to see that. Wonderful, because it's one of my favorite chapters in the manga.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
OMG, that explanation of particle/wave duality and the observer effect triggered my physics pet peeve so hard. I can accept a layperson getting it wrong, but to have a supposedly educated (even genius) physicist working at a university peddle the old "an observer in quantum physics=a human being (or other thinking being), which proves that the universe is based on thought" BS is SO dumb. That's kind of a nitpick in a show where he's talking to a girl with a disembodied head, I admit, but that's why it's a pet peeve. People read and hear that stuff and assume it's true, and it bothers me more and more every time I hear it. True, it's probable that the laws of physics just work differently in the show than in our world (see: vampires and dullahan exist), and that's fine, but it annoys me that there are people who peddle that "quantum physics means The Secret totally works and reality is malleable to human will" in earnest.

The lines about how "a quantum expands like space in a wave-like pattern" and so on are equally dumb, but I can blame that on a translation issue since the translator probably just had no idea what they were writing about and had to wing it.

That aside (and that is a personal issue of mine), an enjoyable episode in a an enjoyable series that has settled into a pattern of delivering reliable fun, even if it doesn't quite deliver on its early promise of investigating some serious issues in a unique way.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
@steelmirror

Look at this way. The entire premise of the show is the existence of demihumans that do not in fact exist. It is there fairly reasonable that it should be based on physics that do not in fact exist. The fake physics is unlikely to cause any more problems than the fictional existence of vampires.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
The lines about how "a quantum expands like space in a wave-like pattern" and so on are equally dumb, but I can blame that on a translation issue since the translator probably just had no idea what they were writing about and had to wing it.

... While showing the dual slit experiment, which, to be fair, does highlight how weird physics gets... But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the translation was partly to blame for this, maybe in Japanese they didn't actually mean a "quantum" as if its was a specific type of particle.

Although it does highlight another "problem with the show (it's not really one) since Machi would be studied like crazy in the real world. I mean, warping technology, holy crap!
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@steelmirror

Look at this way. The entire premise of the show is the existence of demihumans that do not in fact exist. It is there fairly reasonable that it should be based on physics that do not in fact exist. The fake physics is unlikely to cause any more problems than the fictional existence of vampires.
Definitely, and I did mention that in my little rambling complaint. It's not really a problem with the show as much as it's a personal nitpick that I felt I needed to vent about, because so many people get it wrong. Fiction uses that interpretation of the observer effect so often that lots of people really believe that it's true, and that bothers me. Especially because some people take advantage of that to bilk people out of their money with fraudulent self-help type programs based on phony new-agey fake physics hooey.

That personal issue aside though, I do think it's really cool that they delved into the scientific ramifications of such a thing existing in the world, and have a character who is as excited and nerdy about sussing out the ramifications of such a physics-altering discovery. I know I would be equally excited to study how her wormhole biology works, and calling that out within the show is pretty neat.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I doubt there is anything about it in lore as Dullahan's kinda fall into the undead category (like vampires), but if you ask me, they would probably be like hags, born normally with no hint at birth, then one night while she sleeps her coldfire apears and burns her neck away (probably painlessly since it is no longer a part of her) and when she wakes up she suddenly realizes she is looking at her body. I mean, a floating head inside the womb for months does not mean feasible without causing constant harm.

I don't recall the lore specifically connecting Dullahan to "undead", although I think they have a connection to the dead they are more of a fairy than a ghost, probably like you mentioned with ghost.

The recent episode was a Machi episode, which was great, although I like them all I think Machi is my favourite. The her getting scolded was an especially good scene because he did it out of being worried.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The translation isn't to blame for the Wave-Particle observer "BS". Unfortunately, a number of Indian physicists (Shankar?) have written quantum mechanics texts espousing exactly what Souma-sensei spouts, which has permeated into other texts, but it is in fact admixing Hindu philosophy as a way to "explain" observations following conjectures first made by Bohr and others. I call BS because these experiments are carried out with instruments and give the same result if a person is "observing" the results or not, but many texts including the one in my classes claim that measurements require a person to view the results and that the act of doing so changes reality.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't recall the lore specifically connecting Dullahan to "undead", although I think they have a connection to the dead they are more of a fairy than a ghost, probably like you mentioned with ghost.

From what I've read, a Dullehan (a fairy of the Unseelie Court) is essentially the Irish Grim Reaper. Usually male (anime's affection for female Dullehan notwithstanding), when he stops riding and calls your name, you die (cf banshees, which only warn of death). Gold seems to be his only weakness, so if you hear a headless rider or black carriage coming up behind you, throw down a gold coin or other item and scare him off. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
From what I've read, a Dullehan (a fairy of the Unseelie Court) is essentially the Irish Grim Reaper. Usually male (anime's affection for female Dullehan notwithstanding), when he stops riding and calls your name, you die (cf banshees, which only warn of death). Gold seems to be his only weakness, so if you hear a headless rider or black carriage coming up behind you, throw down a gold coin or other item and scare him off. Very Happy

Other descriptions I read said that no block on a road can hold one back, and that they pull the spines of victims out and use them as a whip. Waiting for Machi to do some spine pulling.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I hvae to apologyze to machi twice, once because I think she is growing up to be sexier thay the sucubus second (and as said by teh vampire, she alrady is because of practical cases) and more importantly, because when her head fell I could not help but think "kick it!" , since that tends to be my reaciont when somethign falls from my hands.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I hvae to apologyze to machi twice, once because I think she is growing up to be sexier thay the sucubus second (and as said by teh vampire, she alrady is because of practical cases) and more importantly, because when her head fell I could not help but think "kick it!" , since that tends to be my reaciont when somethign falls from my hands.

My reaction is was that she was going to get a skull fracture when that head hit the floor. Than the more comedic route of head being kicked away.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
This morning while reading these forums my cat jumped up in my lap and demanded to be held. He weighs about what a human head would, about 10 or 11 pounds. After a few minutes my arm started to get tired and to cramp up. I'm feeling really sorry for Machi right now.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

My reaction is was that she was going to get a skull fracture when that head hit the floor. Than the more comedic route of head being kicked away.

Actually, I think a disembodied head is less likely to receive a skull fracture after free-falling from shoulder height than by the torque of a full body tripping/slipping and hitting the ground. not having any joint could help turn the collision more elastic than inelastic which would result in less (internal) damage. while a body could certainly help dissipate the shock (aside from it obvious possible use in shielding the fall), in unfavorable circumstances the opposite could also occur, the momentum from the rest of the body could be transferred to the head/neck. force seeks the path of less resistance, fractures occur when such path happens to be bones, unbelievably so, it is us by stiffening our muscles and flexing or joints which creates such scenarios, lack of pivot could help prevent them. I think she is far more likely to chip a tooth or break her nose depending on which part hits first. it, however, worries me that the exact opposite would occur with external injuries, lacerations seem extremely likely, being unable to flinch would boost them immensely.

When you think about it, being on machi's shoes seems super scary, no wonder tetsuo got mad.

What I don't think adds up in this situation, is how machi said she can "always catch it pretty easily", if anything having her head literally spinning mid air (in all 3 axis) should wreck all her senses, both physical and mental (spatial awareness, sense of direction, etc). rendering her body an uncontrollable liability. even if she has the composure and instinct to jump into action. every fraction of a second her up down left right forth back would shift. imagine having your video game controller's buttons remapped every 0.2 seconds
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
Seeing Tetsuo(ooo! Kanedaaa!) imagining Machi as a "normal girl" got me all emotional and I'm not sure if it's because of the thought of her being able to fit in easier with society or if it was because it would mean a loss of her most unique trait, which also makes her very special. I do hope it was the latter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12