• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Eminence in Shadow

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Excellent finale. When he began to unleash his spell I couldn't help thinking, "he wouldn't, would he?".
Changing the credits was a nice touch. Poor Rose though. Guess the wrapper getting destroyed was the last straw that broke the camel's back.

Alexia just calmly continuing to practice was a great scene too.

I'll join with everyone else, hopefully there's a second season coming. (along with more Kage-jitsu)

Quote:
Beatrix has cured herself of the curse, it seems.

I must have missed what referenced this... was it the talk of her being a hero?
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:19 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:

In the previous episode, Perv Asshat called her "The woman who may have awakened the heroes' blood within." This is basically what Cid for the Seven Shades and Rose (and I assume Alpha did for everyone else in Shadow Garden) to save them from the curse. And given the white spell lines on her body during her ultimate attack, I think Prev Asshat's guess was correct.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:22 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:

The only thing close was what Asshat said to himself in episode 19 after Iris tells him who Beatrix is: "The woman who may have awakened the heroes' blood within? That Beatrix?"

Nelson had said something similar after seeing Delta slaughter his body doubles (ep 13): "Did you really awaken on your own? But the technique for that was lost ages ago!" To which Alpha replied archly: "Was it really?"

Also, when Shadow cured Rose (ep 17), both he and Rose described it as him giving her power, and clearly the cured members of Shadow Garden are shown to be more powerful than normal people.

What is not stated explicitly though, is whether or not just recovering from the curse provides a power boost equivalent to what the Cult members called the awakening, or if once recovered, a woman could then also later awaken the full power of the Demon cells. Cid had described removing the curse as simply fixing the magic overload that was causing the physical deformity (ep 2). I guess doing so, could have also allowed the cured person to harness the excessive magic from the Demon cells which then made her more powerful.

Zenon Griffey said after taking the pills when fighting Shadow (ep 5), and not being hideously deformed, that he had successfully "awakened", and that was proof that he was worthy of being considered to join the Rounds.

Nelson said to Alpha when she revealed her face (ep 12) "But you weren't compatible! You should be dead!" The hero's blood actually being the cells from the Demon Diablos.

It is possible that Beatrix was just actually compatible with the cells, like the hero Olivier was, and she was thus able to awaken the power without suffering the physically deforming curse of possession.

What might have settled the question would have been if Beatrix had faced off against her niece Alpha instead of Shadow. Then we could have seen how their power levels compared.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:27 am Reply with quote
Goodbye (for now) to the edgy world of Cid, it was one hell of a adventure.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:15 am Reply with quote
Sigh, this show is all about the women...Cid and the rest? Yadda, yadda, yadda, what, why and a yawn. If the show is all about promoting the manga and or novels to understand, I may have to.... Rolling Eyes
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Minor side note. Iris's apolgy was very subpar, considering she had Cid tortured for 5 days, and then throwing him out afterwards like he was trash. Beating him with metal rods, stabbing him and cutting him. If you did that to me, I would probably be dead. Not to mention we never saw an apolgy to Claire either considering the events.

Not really sure why you want to blame Iris for something that arc's villain did, especially since his entire shitck was getting up to no good behind the royal family's back.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Minor side note. Iris's apolgy was very subpar, considering she had Cid tortured for 5 days, and then throwing him out afterwards like he was trash. Beating him with metal rods, stabbing him and cutting him. If you did that to me, I would probably be dead. Not to mention we never saw an apolgy to Claire either considering the events.

Not really sure why you want to blame Iris for something that arc's villain did, especially since his entire shitck was getting up to no good behind the royal family's back.

I blame her, because I don't believe she was that clueless about what was going on. I see Iris as someone who would move heaven and earth to get her sister back. She clearly had no problem destroying her own city to kill Shadow, despite the fact, her own sister has told her repeatedly that Shadow was not the Kingdom's enemy, but rather the Cult of Diabolos.

I don't believe the arc's villain was especially important to this type of villainy. Sure he probably saw Cid as a convenient suspect, but I think they just followed normal procedures for royalty. Really, beating and torturing people to get a false confession is nothing new, and doesn't really need a real villain to responsible. Iris never summoned Cid or Claire, or even his noble parents to issue a formal apology, even after knowing that Cid was never involved. I am not sure, but was Claire arrested too, for trying repeatedly to see Cid? Iris herself witnessed Claire's attempts.

Iris just gave a drive by apology, because it was convenient for her. You can't really have a conversation with someone you had tortured for five days and tossed out like trash, unless you make some kind of amend. She was lucky, Cid was just Cid about it, and for him it was just a performance.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see where you're making that connection. Thanks for the info Smile
JBAnime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:31 pm Reply with quote
As far as Rose, or 666 now, I wonder how she will react when she finds out that Shadow was her beloved Cid all along. Knowing him, he probably doesn't even realize that she joined his group.
Sherry is another one. Given her last conversation with Cid, she seems to at least suspect him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11