• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
I'm considering taking the plunge and buying my first Volks Dollfie. In fact, I've entered the lottery to get the opportunity to buy one, I'll just have to see in a few days whether I get selected or not.

http://www.volks.co.jp/en/dollfiedream/dds_mahoyo_alice.html/

That's the one I entered for. They also have an Asuna one that was tempting, but this one just appealed to me a whole lot more. Pricey, sure, but that's Volks for ya.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Does the series Blood C offer anything beyond gratuitous violence? Is there any emotional weight to the story/characters, something like Elfen Lied, maybe? Also, is the LE artbox designed to hold the series and the movie?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I highly recommend you sample a few eppies of Blood-C before you buy it. I personally enjoyed it, but I know many who did not. I'm not sure if I'd say there was "emotional weight" to the series ... although I did like Saya and was interested in where the story was ultimately going to go. I'll buy it for sure at some point, but it's just one of those kinds of titles where I don't think you can go on what other people say. You really have to see a bit of it for yourself, first.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the response, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem like the "try before you buy" approach would work with this series. I skimmed through ANN's review(trying to avoid spoilers) but wasn't sure what to make of it. It would seem that this series starts off very slowly.

Anyway, to save you the trouble of replying to this post, I should state that it was cheap enough on amazon to warrant a blind buy. I do think I'll end up enjoying it, maybe not for my usual reasons.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
It was the ending of Blood-C that caused most of the complaints about the series so watching a few episodes wouldn't help to decide about buying it, and it's impossible to say why without spoilers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
It's true that just watching the first few eppies of Blood-C could potentially mislead a viewer for certain reasons, but the reason I suggested it is that from my memory of the relevant discussion thread, those who liked the series pretty much from the start continued to do so, whereas those who were down on it out of the gate also tended to continue on that trajectory.

But yeah, if you are seeing it for a price that won't make you regret the purchase even if it turns out you don't like it, I say go for it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
I'm really wanting the Madoka Magica complete Blu-ray set that is coming out in Japan this December. Box looks lovely and will look even better next to my movie set. Trying to sell my domestic Aniplex boxes. Won't need them anymore.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
As long as your sets are in good condition and you undercut the official price by a decent amount, I can't see you having problems selling them.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I was going to cut it by at third and ask $150. Sets are in flawless condition I only recently peeled away all of the plastic wrap over the boxes lol. I was paranoid the lettering would flake away for some reason.

EDIT: Sold on Facebook. That was quick! Time to order the JP set...

Last edited by luffypirate on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
Does the series Blood C offer anything beyond gratuitous violence? Is there any emotional weight to the story/characters, something like Elfen Lied, maybe? Also, is the LE artbox designed to hold the series and the movie?

I actually really liked Blood-C. After hearing so much negativity towards it, I went into it expecting the worst, but was rather pleasantly surprised. Yes, it can be very stupid at times (particularly the ending), but it's just so audacious, visceral, and ballsy enough to do whatever the hell it wants that I can't help but like it.

I would suggest watching the movie as well. Personally compared to the series, it's a bit underwhelming, but if nothing else it will provide the sense of closure that was lacking in the series.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is having one of their "Mystery Box Sales" for some DVDs and Manga. Not really sure about the DVDs since those just tend to be old Singles that didn't sell. I am considering the manga box though, though that may be a buncha OOP Tokyopop stuff.

As I type this, I also realize that they may not even be first volumes. Decisions, decisions...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
So what do we think the odds are of Discotek stuff being in the TRSI holiday sales? Or any holiday sales for that matter?

All I really want are Cutey Honey and LoveCom, and I'd love to nab them for ~60% off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
Personally, speaking as an elite cheapo, bargain hunter, I think anyone would be insane to buy anything from TRSI until they roll out their Black Friday/Cyber Monday/13 Days of Christmas sale. Sure, there's a chance the specific titles you are looking for won't be covered, but there will be another Discotek sale in the future, anyway, so you won't be losing out on 40% off, plus 10% GA discount. At worst, you'd simply be waiting longer than you may have wanted to.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Blood, is it just me or are the 13 Days not as good as they used to be? After they've gotten rid of all their old overstock (mostly Bandai Entertainment and Geneon) it seems like less of a bang for your buck.

EDIT: Add Viz Media to that list as last years big liquidate. What could they possibly do this year?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
There's no question that when there is old stock to get liquidated the sales get more ... interesting. I remember two years ago, retailers like TRSI and DeepDiscount were getting rid of old ADV titles and some amazing bargains were to be had. That obviously isn't going to happen every year. The thing with the TRSI holiday sales is that sometimes items that almost never get discounted beyond a small amount, might get discounted more and a lot of other items go for 60% off rather than the usual 40% + 10% GA sale price.

Like I say, with the holiday sales less than a month away, it really doesn't make much sense to order anything until you see what's being offered then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 103 of 132