• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Bunny Drop TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
[ If that's the case then there is no point in arguing with you.
Yes, do please stop. I'm tired of reading your literalisms and I'm tired of having to explain every word I write because of it, as are the rest I'm sure. Just leave it as it just isn't worth it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yes, do please stop. I'm tired of reading your literalisms and I'm tired of having to explain every word I write because of it, as are the rest I'm sure. Just leave it as it just isn't worth it.

I don't actually think you've "explained" anything. I've asked you a couple times now why exactly you think this show could support a dub and you've yet to provide a real response. You just keep insisting that it deserves one.

Don't go around making bizarre, nonsensical claims and then bitch when you're asked to explain them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There are child actors (I know that the VA for Gumball in CN's The Amazing World of Gumball is like 12 or so) but I guess there's a ton of legal red tape with the whole under-age thing and the hassle wouldn't be worth it even for someone like Funi.

Western animation has actually been pretty good with using child actors for young versions of main characters. Besides the well-known Charlie Brown cast, a few quick examples were Reboot's AndraIA by Andrea Libman who's 10-yrs-old, 12-yr-old Dakota Fanning playing 10-yr-old Wonder Woman when Justice League were chibi-ized, and the more recent Adventure Time's 13-yr-old version of Princess Bubblegum played by a 10-yr-old girl. It just can get dicey when some scenes become a bit saucy. Laughing

In anime terms, of course there's 12-yr-old Aaron Dismuke's Alphonse Elric, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water's Jean and Margaret played by 12- and 11-yr-olds respectively (Nadia herself not much older by a 14-yr-old), and even way back when Ranma 1/2's young 17-yr-old Nabiki voiced by Angela Costain who's 3 years younger.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Alphonse Elric was also voiced by a boy in the original Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm not sure about Brotherhood, though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't actually think you've "explained" anything. I've asked you a couple times now why exactly you think this show could support a dub and you've yet to provide a real response. You just keep insisting that it deserves one.

Don't go around making bizarre, nonsensical claims and then bitch when you're asked to explain them.
For the last time, and just for you in a way I hope you can comprehend this time:

Why I think Usagi Drop deserves a dub.
By Mohawk52.

I think it deserves a dub because:

1) The story about a single young adult suddenly having to become the stepfather of a 6 year-old-girl with all the baggage and stress that involves with virtually no help, or support, is very powerful, enough that many English speaking people will want to see it and not fob it off as yet more Japanese fanservice tripe.

2) It's popular, in both manga and anime, in Japan and out, enough to warrant a commission for a live action adaptation. In the top 20 of Japan comic rankings, and top 10 of NY-Times rankings. In the top 20 in Japan's Blueray rankings.

3) Nominated for an Eisner Award in 2011.

4) The majority of English speaking people prefer their entertainment in their native language, therefore a dub would make Usagi Drop more marketable to the masses even as an impulse buy.

That's it. That's my whole platform. I hope it is clear and understandable to you. Now you can waste your time and rebutt each category if you feel that strongly about them, but I'll warn you now it won't change my stance one dot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
@Mohawk52 - I can't speak for ikc, of course, but I think there is some merit in the case you have laid out. If somebody was holding a gun to my head and said, "okay, predict whether a dub of Usagi Drop would make money or not and we blow your brains out if you guess incorrectly" I would predict "not" simply because SoL shows - especially that ones that don't have a clear marketing hook (unlike, say, bunch of teenagers form a band a la Beck) - historically have not sold well in North America (that I am aware of). Having said all that, I don't think your contra-view is wildly out of whack. It's the kind of question that reasonable people can honourably disagree on.

Plus, there is the ever-present "who really knows" factor when it comes to entertainment. Titles that look like they'd be hits, bomb, and titles that seemed like poor bets become sleeper hits.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

4) The majority of English speaking people prefer their entertainment in their native language, therefore a dub would make Usagi Drop more marketable to the masses even as an impulse buy.

You're serious?

I mean, really? Name a time this has worked. Ever.

And sure Usagi Drop "deserves" a dub, but the chances of it happening were always hilariously remote.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

You're serious?

Spirited Away? Arrietty?
Can you list how many foreign language movies, or TV series that were a hit in the US, even with subtitles?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Spirited Away? Arrietty?
Can you list how many foreign language movies, or TV series that were a hit in the US, even with subtitles?

Do you seriously need me to explain the difference between a Ghibli Movie and a TV series to you?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Spirited Away? Arrietty?

Do you seriously need me to explain the difference between a Ghibli Movie and a TV series to you?
Rolling Eyes
Pokemon? Yu-Gi-oh? One Piece?
smashwagon

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
There have been a number of foreign language movies (live action) to become hits, such as the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Amelie, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.. to name but a small sample.

People in the U.S. are able to read, mostly.

If Bunny Drop was set in another country, it would make sense to dub it in that nations language, but since it is set in Japan, and has only Japanese characters, doesn't it make sense to listen to Japanese voices? It is way more authentic to the story, and the original actors are fantastic in their roles.

I do actually agree with you on Victorian Romance Emma, as I would really have liked to hear it with a British dub (perhaps the same cast who did Dragon Quest 8's vox) since it is set in England and therefore it would add authenticity to it. (Although I would not want to hear American actors fake British accents, as I find that it is a miniscule amount of actors with the linguistic and vocal characteristics to do realistic fake accents, which makes me a huge fan of type-casting.)

But that is a digression, and Bunny Drop works well as it is. It is possible that more non japanese people could enjoy it with a dub, but I find it hard to think that it would work as well in english.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

...what?

I'm beginning to seriously doubt you understand the base concepts and market forces at work here.

Those shows are as different from Usagi Drop as Spirited Away, only in the exact opposite direction.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And as the primary companies who dub pass on this license it would lead on to believe that the cost of making this show more marketable with a dub would not into lead to more money being made.

Of course, I am assuming that professionals who license shows are better as assessing risk than you are.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

...what?

I'm beginning to seriously doubt you understand the base concepts and market forces at work here.

Those shows are as different from Usagi Drop as Spirited Away, only in the exact opposite direction.
And I'm beginning to think you're just trolling. Rolling Eyes
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

You're serious?

There is evidence, however circumstantial, that dubs are more popular than sub-only titles. For instance:
Manga UK's persistent claims that sub-only titles sell only half as well as ones with dubs.
The fact that sub-only releases tend to be more expensive. This was a lot clearer back with VHS when you would have separate versions of the same title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14