• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gatchaman Crowds (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Well it was really clear that it was a largely staged battle, but that it was Hajime who took the part of Gelsadara's role, pretty much almost killing herself over it. She pretty much made herself a martyr so everyone would stop and think.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
A classic ending to this Gatchaman Crowds Insight imo:

So it also looks like Gel-chan will be staying on Earth based on the votes. Hajime did a neat job while taking a risky chance with her move. What a hero she became indeed. Never forget. Overall, decent show. Felt a bit different than the first season but I think I got used to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote
This has been my favourite show of the Summer season and enjoyed the critique of groupthink which, admittedly, I have long argued with various people over the years about. The only critique I have with the ended is that it wrapped up a bit too nicely. I was half expecting some horrid twist at the end.

The motto of 'life carries on' certainly rings true but given the short attention span of modern humans rather than hope I see it more as, after the initial emotional surge, life carried on and issues are forgotten about. Rather than given a month to think about it they would leave the decision to the last minute .
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12

Yeah, Hajime is one badass, and again it is little to do with fighting prowess.

I gave the first season a "Decent" rating, I think that I largely was confused about how to feel. While it was cool to take things in a direction you would not expect with situations not so defeating the monster, it was kind of like a betrayal of that. Regardless Hajime kind of stood out as the hero you never knew you wanted. But I was prepared this season, and while I expected to feel a little off at first, worried that they just made another Hajime because they knew the audience liked her, I was actually happily surprised. I totally appreciated this plot on group mentality, it was very Gatchaman Crowds, it turned to warning about groups unlike the first praising the idea of everyone together.

Hajime looks to do fairly little through the series, but what looks like doing nothing is Hajime really being herself, she is asking others what they think and also giving them some questions. Conflict is in essence not a bad thing, everyone is different and it is those differences that make people spectacular, forcing everyone do the same thing is what is wrong. The image that comes to mind is Hajime with that duck backpack, it looks so silly, but her total lack of caring what others think is cool makes her damn cool. Similarly I think parts that make the series in general kind of cool are stuff like Hajime playing around with the inhuman MESS, her discomfort of someone forcing her to change her sign, and the idea of Hajime putting Katze inside her. I actually found Katze to be an enjoyable part of this, he might be a big troll who enjoys causing conflict, but even he can say something interesting. The absurdity of some of his meaner insults are also worth a laugh.

Overall I really enjoyed this season, I like it when a sequel season makes me go from a little wary to actually want to watch the first again. A bit more appreciation for what it does. I give a rating of Very good, while it may not have been as fresh as its first season did, it was quite interesting thematically.

Oh, I did not really even go into what was kind of cool about the other characters. I still think the series is especially cool for questionable sexuality character, like OD being a pretty okay guy in how he is shown as very gay like, not portrayed in a gross way or as a little predatory like some anime can. And Rui, no big deal over him deciding to wear women clothing, well really I don't think it even connects it whether it makes what he is attracted to, he just likes it.
Popa Andreea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
I'm currently at episode 5.I'm trying to like this show since I know it got lots of praise,but I just can't stand the protagonist,Hajime.She is super loud,super obnoxious,with a high pitched voice and it seems that the series is making a point of treating her like the second coming of Jesus - always right,always knows what to do,always solves everything.Heck,why didn't they just call it 'The Hajime Praise Show' then? She is portrayed like some sort of goddess who's there to save humanity.
Does she get any development or background as the series goes on?
Then,there is the bad guy,who is kinda like the evil version of Hajime - highly irritating,energetic and loud except instead of being 100% good with zero flaws,this dude is 100% evil with zero redeeming qualities.It sometimes feels like he's just causing destruction for the sake of it.It's never been explained where he comes from either.Do we get any background on him later on or does he still keep 'being evil for fun'?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
@ Popa Andreea

The thing about Hajime, is not that she has the answer for everything and is perfect, but that she is willing to listen to others, although does not presume anything, and tries to earnestly solve things without violence if possible. It makes her a far flung to the usual actors of hero genre. Yeah, Hajime can be loud and stuff, and say things that may sound a little obnoxious, it is why a number of people do not think well of her at first in the series, you could maybe compare that to the villain. But look closer and you will see that Hajime is always thinking things through, she wants to look through the facts without being tied down by just expectations. She also wants to think the best of others, that making an effort can have others to come around to give their input. The second season has a sort of interesting element that it flips everything on its head, that there is more to a character like Hajime than be unreasonably optimistic, that one popular person can have the right answer.

As for Katz, we get a bit about what his origin is, largely in how others relate to him. The guy is pretty much the living embodiment of an internet troll, and a pretty major aspect of the show is in figuring out how to deal with someone like that. If you want to understand the character, I think the general deal is that he hates hypocrisy, the general idea that people act ways in society for some form of order, but really he believes they are all actually selfish in their acts, and the true nature should be chaos. Believing that it just takes the means and a little push for people to turn against each other.

I suppose you could compare Hajime, that in a way they are both a fan of causing random "noise" (in terms of acting in ways not the standard). But Hajime is a character that embodies just let your freak flag blow, accept others for their, as long as neither actually hurts others. And even then, I think she is actually deep enough to take responsibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12