• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Lost Village

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
@Hiroki not Takuya

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I did not watch the other shows you mention. But Mayoiga is easily the worst 2016 anime I have watched.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Final ep review wrote:
There were more resolutely awkward verbal puns, from Lovepon describing the penguin as “a-gore-able” to Nyanta's final “purrvival.”

I would appreciate someone explaining how these jokes came across in the Japanese. I didn't catch the actual words they used.
The word Lovepon used was gurokawa, a fusion of "grotesque" and "kawaii" that follows a common Japanese slang contraction pattern: eroguro, erokawa, kimokawa (from kimochi warui, "disgusting"), etc. Nyanta's line was just a normal sentence with a "nya" added at the end. So neither of those were really puns in the original, but I do think that this was a case of liberties with the translation enhancing the experience, since lame puns do kinda fit with the overall ridiculous mood that the show as a whole was going for.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Man I'm really going to miss this show. Once I got over it not really trying to be what I originally wanted from it and instead viewed it as a comedy it managed to be hilarious every week. I really hope we eventually hear about the making of this show since I have to believe this was intentional. There's just too many obvious jokes for me to think otherwise.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this show, and agree with Nick's ratings for the most part. It was fun. I was entertained. Is it a masterpiece? No, but I'll remember it much more fondly than a lot of shows this season that I felt weren't as successful as they wanted to be at being conventionally good.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Eh, for me, this show just really lacked all that high energy potential from the first episode. There were some occasional bright spots (that walking boob and the random Bus of Death will never not be funny), but generally, even for a bad show, it just never made the jump from "So Bad it's Bad" to "So Bad it's Good", at least not consistently.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I called it right and nobody died, nice.

maxwell3094 wrote:
Man I'm really going to miss this show. Once I got over it not really trying to be what I originally wanted from it and instead viewed it as a comedy it managed to be hilarious every week. I really hope we eventually hear about the making of this show since I have to believe this was intentional. There's just too many obvious jokes for me to think otherwise.

hopefully for shirobako season 02,
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
One of the most entertaining shows of this spring season. I'm going to miss this and all the lovepon memes.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
@stilldemented thanks very much for the informative and very thought provoking analytic articles on Mayoiga. I had no idea the the director had written or done planning on so many good shows like Dokuro-Chan so I'll assume the show is intentional. Of course I love Lovepon and Nyanta and the whole Jack vs. "hyoketsu no Judgeness" and spoiler[having them as minions of the "boss"-girl] is a bit right out of absurdist theater if more than a bit dry. Again I don't think it is supposed to be a comedy overall but has a number of "absurdist comedy" elements. I think people are disliking that it isn't as expected one way or another, as a drama it is ridiculous and shallow and as a comedy it isn't conventionally funny and missing almost any comedic cues. If it is horror, it isn't horrific, etc. Watched it 'till the end though and the last bit was funny.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
This show is turning into what I always wanted but never expected: a stealth remake of Okada's Black Rock Shooter TV series. Here we have a shapeshifting monster instead of color-coded alter egos, but the underlying "message," such as it is, is pretty much the same.

Black Rock Shooter does indeed have a number of similarities with The Lost Village. It has the same get-over-your-hangups-to-escape plot, takes place in a strange hidden world, and has plenty of weirdness going on (wikia). Okada's The Lost Village is the spiritual successor to Black Rock Shooter amped up to 11.

While the two anime are indeed polarizing among their audiences, let's be clear that Black Rock Shooter is no The Lost Village. Black Rock Shooter is a complete trainwreck of a shitfest, with questionable pacing and direction decisions because Yutaka Yamamoto had the balls to only greenlight 8 episodes instead of the usual 11 as noitaminA series go.

Meanwhile The Lost Village can be more aptly compared to something along the lines of Aku no Hana. Both are works meant to poke fun at their respective genres, deconstructing many of the common tropes associated. Their nature of being works of deconstruction were highlighted with the directors choosing to tell their stories with unorthodox presentation methods. And funny enough, both series received praises from ANN reviewers while being bashed by their readers at the same time.
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
This show is definitely my favourite of the season. It's quite up there with Sakamoto and Kabaneri. It has a very interesting premise and really entertaining set of characters. The sarcastic and dark comedy work very well to complementing the dark but not-so-serious atmosphere of the show. It has great finale that concludes the story and he fact that only half the cast return feels refreshing. I thought it'll go the cliche' route of everyone's rescued or everyone just kill each other. But for everyone to survive and half of them chose to stay is quite the unique conclusion. Definitely agree on the A rating.
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
During the earlier episodes, someone elsewhere characterised Mayoiga as "4chan goes to Silent Hill" and I think that description still holds up pretty well.

Shocked Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12