• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Apocrypha (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
I feel like Atalanta fell into an emotional trap, tainted by something and so is too compromised to realize that, in the common view of Christian hell, souls that are purified have a chance of going to heaven and being saved.

Well, her arm is corrupted so obviously something is messing with her. Remember that she's a Greek hero so her knowledge of death and the underworld are different.

Wasn't expecting a Medea Lily cameo so that was nice. Also funny seeing Saber Gilles.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Am I the only one who found the Atalanta/Jeanne conversation both poorly shot and pointlessly pretentious.

I feel like Atalanta fell into an emotional trap, tainted by something and so is too compromised to realize that, in the common view of Christian hell, souls that are purified have a chance of going to heaven and being saved.

As for the actual art of film itself, i found it to be shot/reverse shot that had no interesting dynamics or visual tricks to the camera or setting to help make it interesting.

Atalanta predates Christianity, so she's aware of what Jeanne believes in but has gone all in with her wish to think of anything else. I'd forgotten she'd mentioned her wish early on in #15 but it's only in this episode that viewers see just how much it means to her (in comparison to her compatriot Lancer and Rider who don't seem quite as emotionally invested in fulfilling their desires).

Can't have high-budget shots for everything. I don't mind if it means the bulk of the animation budget is invested towards the fights.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote

If last week's trailer didn't ram the message home enough, this week's episode REALLY emphasises the point of no return for this story. To add insult to injury, next week is a recap episode covering everything from episode #13 to this week.

Just in case viewers were just as clueless as Ruler was with respect to Rider's gender, this episode pushed the answer in the most blunt and straightforward method there is. Speaking of Rider, his deceased Master should have had her corpse flogged for dereliction of duty. He's been fighting at below maximum potential this whole time because one of his relics can't be fully utilised. Had he remembered the relic's true name prior to the first big set-piece battle, he wouldn't have been shot out of the sky by the Red faction's Assassin and put Sieg through his big transformation sequence.

So Caules takes over from his older sister as the new clan head. Notwithstanding the fact he's less innately talented as she is in controlling magic, he definitely has the better temperament required to succeed. Not quite sure what the significance of the dog scene was, but perhaps it's supposed to be a substitute for the handing over of the clan crest and the responsibility that entails.

The talented Mr. Shishigou and his surprising ability to service turboprop aircraft. I suppose he's had to do his fair share of maintenance work during his bounty-hunting career. He's indulging his wavering Servant as always.

Ruler has just about made it to the point where she'll confess to Sieg if something seriously wrong happens to him. Sieg on the other hand has the ironclad defence that is the Homunculus' emotional underdevelopment. He'll need an extra push if he wants to be with her after the Great War has finished and both sides still survive.

I wonder what the Red faction's Lancer is thinking about in that final scene. He's found the Master who summoned him and seen the state he's in. What will he do next?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
#19.5

Recap episode narrated by Shakespeare and Astolfo. More or less covers events from roughly episode #11 until the most recent one. As a small bonus, the last few scenes before the ED credits preview what is going to happen over the remaining unaired episodes.

Like the other recap episode, this one won't be subbed by everyone's preferred choice of sub group. On the other hand it gives interested viewers who are a bit behind to catch up on the backlog.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote

Quite a lot happens in this episode, which makes me wonder why there was a need for a recap episode last week since it feels like some things were squeezed to make allowance for time constraints.

Shirou's plan is a neat one and rather unexpected. I honestly can't remember what happens when one uses Heaven's Feel in this way and I don't think the Sorcery Laws can be invoked using just the vessel and energy of the Great Grail only without something going awfully wrong.

The way Rider described his newly unleashed Noble Phantasm this episode, one wonders if it's time-restricted and only usable during the new moon phase. If it is the case, his ex-Master doesn't look so stupid not trying to get it to work full-time if the power has that many restrictions. I still think it's needing one night with the new moon to get the power to unlock and then Rider is able to use it at will. Next week should show the answer since it looks like there are two duels to settle first before Rider and Sieg can do what they were told.

Despite his comedy role, Shakespeare does know how to hit the soft spots in the psyche of his fellow servants. They tolerate him all the same because he's not really much good outside of his parameters to actively help his team.

The Yggdmillenia clan certainly have a lot of money and influence to rent an entire airport to themselves for one night and procure over half a dozen passenger jets for the assault. Caules wasn't kidding when he said they had everything riding on this as a one-chance gamble. With all the chaos going on, Red Saber and Master should be able to sneak in or intervene in the upcoming duels depending on the situation.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote

It's been a while since an episode focused entirely on its action set-piece battles. This week doesn't disappoint as one duel finishes while another looks like it'll be covered in the next episode.

Fight sequence between Charon and Achilles is probably one of the best of the series (both halves). Although the result surprised me slightly, it's a Pyrrhic victory since the victor can no longer count on his defensive trump card to bail him out of trouble. Just as well they spent the first five minutes explaining what on earth Amakusa is up to inside the Great Grail. I'm not sure how that counts as salvation, but I suppose seeing the results should make the picture clearer.

So it appears Astolfo is only capable of pulling his unique trick once every 15 days. Shakespeare kindly reminds viewers about his legend to reinforce the point, but I can't see how Astolfo is going to be of much use beyond his current state. I wonder what Achilles wants to entrust him with. As an aside, it seems Semiramis can't ascertain Astolfo's true gender beyond his external appearance.

Unusual move taken by Atalante at the end. Makes sense though since Artemis is the goddess of the hunt and the patron goddess of the sentient lupines. With this she should give Ruler a much closer fight since Archers usually don't do well at close-quarters.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 21
After all the buildup, I feel like this episode was worth the waiting.

Charon and Achilles had their own personal rivalry thing going on, which I thought was strangely amusing. It turned into a fist fight and imo, a clash of personality between the two sides.

Astolfo impressed me this episode. I often underestimate him as a character but when he gets serious, the guy can be quite scary to deal with. I'm not sure how to feel about Atalanta's role in this war. She seems to solely want vengeance against Ruler and is willing to do anything to achieve. I can't see this end well for her in any way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Shirou's plan is a neat one and rather unexpected. I honestly can't remember what happens when one uses Heaven's Feel in this way and I don't think the Sorcery Laws can be invoked using just the vessel and energy of the Great Grail only without something going awfully wrong.

If I recall Heaven's Feel spoiler[uses the soul as the blue print to manifest a new body (as opposed to a mage having to design a spare body themselves). So manifesting everyone's souls in new bodies doesn't seem like it would lead to salvation. Unless the idea is that the new soul bodies are the people's "true selves" free from lies and facades which Shiro thinks will lead to peace (I've seen similar anime plots before).]

Harleyquin wrote:
The way Rider described his newly unleashed Noble Phantasm this episode, one wonders if it's time-restricted and only usable during the new moon phase. If it is the case, his ex-Master doesn't look so stupid not trying to get it to work full-time if the power has that many restrictions. I still think it's needing one night with the new moon to get the power to unlock and then Rider is able to use it at will.

They established in an earlier episode that it's full power only manifests on the night of a new moon. Also he didn't remember what it's name was and you can't unleash a noble phantasm's true power without saying its name.

While the fight was cool it's a shame Chiron lost. The Black side is severely lacking in the servant department but maybe they got Achilles in exchange?

It's also a shame that Atalanta went so far off the deep end. But I guess it really was the only way to beat Jeanne since Rulers are resistant to all class types except Berserkers and Shielders.

Well, I never managed to summon Jeanne in FGO, so I guess I'll just have to summon her in real life.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote

I wonder how much of the budget the animators still have unspent. After last week's spectacle this one had a tough act to follow. Despite that the visuals for all of the set-piece battles are as astounding as ever. As a bonus it clears out a few members of the cast to allow viewers to focus more on the survivors.

Now viewers know what Achilles entrusted to Astolfo. I don't think the former used his shield at all in the way Astolfo did this week so it's probably his secret weapon when he's under extreme pressure. Since he lost his immortality from last week and his final act was to deliver a mercy kill against Atalante, it makes sense he dispensed with it despite its considerable power.

I thought the duel between Atalante and Jeanne D'Arc was starting to even out before Rider intervened. Even so the latter didn't have too much time or energy to settle the crazed servant before handling her main task. I'm not surprised when she was allowed past the throne room since it's painfully obvious Semiramis wants to duel Red Saber next week or the week after. With that final comment, it looks like Jeanne D'Arc's mental strength is put to the test since the comic relief servant is going to bar passage to the Grail. A fitting contrast for the heroine of the Hundred Years War with her opponent the descendant of the hated invaders.

Good job Sieg at surviving the opposing Lancer's trump card assault. Staying alive through multiple thermonuclear blasts shows how strong his benefactor's powers are. Too bad he's used up both of his command seals and somehow used a third one with the final decisive blow prior to Astolfo's intervention. His miracle is going to claim a considerable and definitive payment soon if the warnings from the past weeks are anything to go by.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
I personally find the animation in episode 22 to be shoddy with poor line work making the color regions blur into each other

Even the Karna vs Siegfried fight that I was looking forward to turned out to be disappointing just because the detail and rendering is odd. The proportions on Karna when he does his eye laser are also elongated and off putting. The colors in general seem to melt into each other too much making it hard to distinguish attacks and what not
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
It's a specific style that critics cream themselves over, but I definitely agree that it's not the kind of style conducive to understanding what's going on on the screen (it's generally used to communicate events more conceptually than literally), and I'm pretty disappointed to see it in what has thus far been a fairly sharp and well-defined action anime.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It's a specific style that critics cream themselves over, but I definitely agree that it's not the kind of style conducive to understanding what's going on on the screen (it's generally used to communicate events more conceptually than literally), and I'm pretty disappointed to see it in what has thus far been a fairly sharp and well-defined action anime.

I suppose and looking at it more, i don't mind the sketchy linework and colors for environment destruction, it actually works to elevate the impact of the scene. I just wish characters and models were more clear
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Too bad he's used up both of his command seals and somehow used a third one

Remember that his command seals don't completely disappear after use so it's possible he can use one multiple times.

Anyways, the fights themselves were pretty exciting, but honestly they look like ass.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Too bad he's used up both of his command seals and somehow used a third one

Remember that his command seals don't completely disappear after use so it's possible he can use one multiple times.

Anyways, the fights themselves were pretty exciting, but honestly they look like ass.

He can't. He was warned about transforming more than two times and Jeanne's concern about his transformations are more to do with the number of seals he has left. He has used three over the episode, so something is going to happen.

The visuals appear to divide opinion. I think they look dazzling, others think the opposite. Beauty in the eyes of the beholder I suppose.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

He can't. He was warned about transforming more than two times and Jeanne's concern about his transformations are more to do with the number of seals he has left.

No, her concern had to do with the fact that transforming is destroying his body. Notice how much blacker his hand gets this episode.

On another note, when the hell did Caules get on the gardens? Last we saw he was on the plane with his sister.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13