• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Except

You know

It IS a complex psychoanalyzation of its genre with a ton of symbolism. From what I've heard, it's near Bokurano levels of depressing and tragic

Just ignore that person, they're obviously trolling at this point.

As for being deconstruction and depressing, it is, but like Bokurano the ending isn't such a downer. In fact, spoiler[the ending is one of the greatest reconstructions I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing. It isn't milk and cookies but there is still hope. And I mean, literally there is hope. Pretty darn epic, I'll tell you what.]
yeshayden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
PMMM has had many articles here at ANN

I count 24 this year. Also, I find several of the recent fan responses here to be needlessly antagonistic. If I were a potential new viewer, I would be put off by this.

Potential new viewers, please give this show a try. I recommend watching at least three or four episodes.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
And spare me the "deconstruction" manure. As if this show is some complex, psychoanalysation of its genre, with deep symbolic meaning.

While "deconstruction" has been thrown around a lot, there is actually some merit to that. In fact, just as much was said by the award-givers for the Japan Media Arts Festival's Animation Division Grand Prize.
JMAF wrote:
"[The anime] skillfully [set] critical traps that shook the very foundations of the genre, leaving viewers unsure about the premises upon which this otherwise common theme of the 'magical girl' is based" and "revolutionary energy that always strives to change things"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dtm42 wrote:
I wouldn't call it bigger than Haruhi, we have yet to see a religion being made out of it.

Actually, there has been a fake religion made out of it. Just do a google or facebook search of "The Church of spoiler[Madoka]." Laughing The thing, though, is that the "church" stems out of the very ending of the series, so I only recommend for you currently uninitiated out there to check it out if you've seen all 12 episodes of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh.... and there actually HAVE been more than 24 articles for PMMM. The thing is, though, is that there have been so many from all over the place that the ANN Enclyclopedia page hasn't even been keeping track of them all! (I know this because I've clicked the PMMM link in a PMMM-related story before, and that story didn't show up in the "In the News" section)

Last edited by Animerican14 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't recall hearing anyone at AWO or on the ANNCast discuss it.

I'm not insulting the show or anything, I've just honestly not heard much about it, and the trailer doesn't make it seem great. That's my entire point in this thread, that the trailer is a bad one if it's misleading.

Maybe I'll give it a shot.

If you do check it out I warn you in advance that the first two episodes are meant to troll you. Once you get to the end of episode 3 you'll start to get what the hype is about so I;d recommend you watch it till at least then. Though I think the visuals are good enough to get through those episodes personally.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:
And spare me the "deconstruction" manure. As if this show is some complex, psychoanalysation of its genre, with deep symbolic meaning.

While "deconstruction" has been thrown around a lot, there is actually some merit to that. In fact, just as much was said by the award-givers for the Japan Media Arts Festival's Animation Division Grand Prize.
JMAF wrote:
"[The anime] skillfully [set] critical traps that shook the very foundations of the genre, leaving viewers unsure about the premises upon which this otherwise common theme of the 'magical girl' is based" and "revolutionary energy that always strives to change things"

So, while it may not have been a full-fledged "deconstruction", there were monkey wrenches, or twists, thrown into the plot, to throw off unsuspecting magical girl fans. I'm actually a bit more interested in it now.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
yeshayden wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I count 24 this year. Also, I find several of the recent fan responses here to be needlessly antagonistic. If I were a potential new viewer, I would be put off by this.

Potential new viewers, please give this show a try. I recommend watching at least three or four episodes.

agreed, I've been intentionally not responding to anything too nasty because I'm not interested in getting into it, but if I were a new fan/potential viewer all this nasty antagonism towards people who genuinely don't know anything about the series is unwarranted. There is life outside of what's hot in anime right now, no need to treat them like ignorant twats, you're not convincing them to give this show a chance.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Though I think the visuals are good enough to get through those episodes personally.

The first two episodes have more than just visuals to placate people. The conversation that Madoka and Sayaka had about what they'd wish for and if it be worth the price shows that even in its early stages, the series had far more depth and substance than almost any other Magical Girl series before it.

On a complete side note, I have yet to see Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, but I plan on watching it in the second half of next year. I believe it shares the same director as PMMM, so it would be interesting to at least check it out.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
You sound like a clueless dolt, because the show gets darker later on. It's a parody/deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre. This is why it's not wise to have strong "opinions" on things you know nothing about.

I don't wish to engage in a festival of hurling insults with someone, whom I assume is a grown man, that's already been banned for being a rude, abhorrent, childish troll. But, how do I "know nothing about" the show, when I've watched two episodes? And how are my "opinions strong", when I decided to actually watch a show within a genre I generally detest, concluded the show was perishable, was later sold on it, and then decided to continue? Maybe another time-out is needed for you, mister. It isn't that serious. I suspect there's more going on here than just an extremely weird obsession with this show.

And spare me the "deconstruction" manure. As if this show is some complex psychoanalysation of its genre, with deep symbolic meaning. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, because a show that is famous for killing off it's cast members in not so nice ways "isn't serious" based on your two episodes. The show starts out as a regular cutesy mahou shoujo. That's the entire point. It starts out that way and then it gets really really dark. If it was dark and serious from the beginning, the deconstruction would not work, because then it wouldn't be a commentary on the mahou shoujo genre. And yes, that's what it is.

If I'm banned, then why I'm here replying to you? Apparently, you like talking about lots of things you're clueless about. There's a few five letter words in the dictionary that describe a person that does that.

Last edited by jsyxx on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
yeshayden wrote:
Also, I find several of the recent fan responses here to be needlessly antagonistic. If I were a potential new viewer, I would be put off by this.

Completely agreed. Dial it way back here, folks. This is an official warning.

penguintruth, 504NOSON2: Some of the responses here have been overzealous, but that should also tell you something. Whether you've heard of it or not, PMMM is a phenomenon of the type that only comes along in anime a couple of times in a decade; it's certainly on a level with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Neon Genesis Evangelion in that regard. The first two episodes have some fantastic artistic gimmicks, but the story through those episodes only gives vague hints that there might be something more to the series. (The trailer does the same thing, which is why I and others have complained about it being misleading.) A certain scene near the end of episode 3, which is one of the most jaw-dropping moments you'll ever see in an anime title, is where the real face of the series starts to show itself and where you will start to appreciate that this is anything but an ordinary magical girl series. That's where the "deconstruction" that others have mentioned really begins to take shape. From that point on the series gradually does to magical girl series what NGE did to mecha series in its day: it takes many of the core elements of traditional magical girl content and smashes the envelope of what the genre can do with them. It explores very dark territories that magical girl series have rarely or never gone to before (and by that I mean territories that would be dark even by non-magical-girl standards), brings up questions about what the dire consequences can be for becoming a magical girl, and showing a remarkable degree of thought into the mechanics behind becoming a magical girl. Some characters also have some radical motivations, too, especially Kyubey and, to a slightly lesser extent, Homura.

I went back and watched the series after it had been completed because I'd heard so much commentary about it, and I did not get hooked until that aforementioned jaw-dropping moment. (And if you don't understand what the series does that's special, then you clearly didn't get to that scene.) Even if THAT moment does catch your interest, I'd still recommend watching an episode or two beyond that, as the twists will just keep piling up. I pretty much marathoned the series from ep 4 on because I couldn't wait to see what twist the series would make next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
yeshayden wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

agreed, I've been intentionally not responding to anything too nasty because I'm not interested in getting into it, but if I were a new fan/potential viewer all this nasty antagonism towards people who genuinely don't know anything about the series is unwarranted. There is life outside of what's hot in anime right now, no need to treat them like ignorant twats, you're not convincing them to give this show a chance.

On the flip side of that, choosing to not watch a show out of spite to a handful of otaku on an obscure forum that isn't even in the home country of the show that produced it would seem pretty petty and pathetic. But that's just me.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people unless they present misstatements as facts due to the fact they haven't done research about something. If you haven't done research, that's fine. But that also precludes you from strong opinions based on false assumptions.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
A trailer's job is to convince me to watch a show or movie. This trailer has convinced me NOT to.
Yes, as has been said by myself and others, this trailer is a failure when considered in the traditional sense of what you'd expect a trailer to be.

504NOSON2 wrote:
There could be more than meets the eye.
There is.

penguintruth wrote:
Even 4chan didn't talk that much about it. I've seen more threads about Penguindrum.
Obviously you never went to 4chan while Madoka was airing. There were threads every day about it. For months. Not now, of course, because the volume of threads on /a/ is about current stuff.

penguintruth wrote:
I don't recall hearing anyone at AWO or on the ANNCast discuss it.
Madoka has been mentioned on several ANNCasts. It hasn't been fully discussed yet because it's US release isn't out yet.

I would like to take this chance to repost this (posted in offical thread some months back) for those skeptical/curious out there. I removed the major spoilers he mentions.

A while back I saw somewhere (I don't remember where; I thought it was here on ANN but maybe not) someone linked to a Japanese politician's blog entry about Madoka. I was both amused and curious; what would a politician say about an anime like this?

I had glanced over the post and could read just enough of it to be really interested in what the entire article said, so this week I finally got around to going back and taking a shot at translating it. I don't remember seeing a translation of this posted here, so here we go (sorry if this is old hat to some of you). I probably have a few mistakes in there but it's accurate enough to get the main ideas, I'm sure.
Tanaka Ken; http://www.t-ken.jp/diary/20110307/ my comments in [brackets] wrote:
Before I get started, this entry contains some spoilers, so if you don't like spoilers, please don't read on.

I watch a lot of anime, but there are two genres I really never watch: anime for kids and anime for girls.

The title of Magical Girl Madoka Magica has the words "magical girl" in it, and it reminded me of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, a show that I didn't care for. Whether or not Nanoha was for little girls aside, I didn't get through all of the show, but I did watch enough to get a feel for the story in general. At first, when I saw Madoka I had a feeling it was going to be a Nanoha knockoff. Right from the beginning, I thought it was starting off and proceeding in a similar way, so I quit watching it.

Really, and this doesn't just apply to anime, there are lots of works, such as dramas, that just make minor changes to characters and setting and leave almost everything else the same. However, the world is an interesting thing [I may have this line wrong], and even if people know the story is borrowing heavily from something, and even if they know how the story is going to turn out, there are a lot of people that can enjoy watching that kind of show. If that weren't true, there would be no good explanation for the large audience of works like Mitokoumon [a period drama that has run since 1969 and is still going!], which have what we can call a VSOP (Very Special One Pattern).

I know from experience that the reality of it is that there are a lot of people who want to watch something that they "know" because they get a sense of security from watching a story unfold when they know how it is going to end, even if they don't know that particular story. Because of this, I had a feeling that Madoka was going to be "that kind" of anime, which is why I quit watching it.

However, from the ward residents who like anime [not sure what ward], I heard that Madoka was really good and they recommended it to me, so I went back to watching it. When someone recommends a work to me, chances are good I'll take that recommendation to mean it's something with merit, so I gave Madoka an honest chance.

The characters have a cute and likable design that young girls would like. At the same time, the style is similar to what guys who like cute characters would enjoy. As I mentioned before, I don't really have much interest in young girl characters; I prefer other character designs to these.

That said, by the time I finished the third episode, the kind of show this really was became apparent, and I realized this wasn't a show for kids. This show presents questions and philosophical messages and asks the audience to think about them.

For whom do people labor?
Is it for the sake of others?
Is it for their own sake?
What will people do when they come face-to-face with death?

This show is full of deception. For instance, don't be fooled by the cutsey character designs; what happens in the story is actually rather brutal.

When people do something for others... Are they really doing it for others?
When people do something for themselves... Are they really doing it just for themselves?
Those who you think are good... are they really good?
Those who seem bad... are they really bad?
What will people do when they are betrayed?
If you hold people to a standard, will you be angry when you are betrayed?
Or if you have lost faith in people, will you take betrayal in stride without being angered?

What you thought you did for the best turns out to work against you.
What you thought you did for the best brings disaster to others.

The best of intentions won't necessarily mean the best result, for yourself or others. But there are people who live selfishly, and maybe it is because of that selfishness that they are able to live?

In order to gain this strong power, one must sacrifice something; without a sacrifice, the power of a "magical girl" cannot be obtained. People may not understand you're trying to help them, even if you devote your efforts to them. Magical girls are not ordinary people; that is, compared to a normal person, a very unreasonable demand is placed on them. Thus we call a normal person of whom an unreasonable demand is made a magical girl. "If you're going to say it, then why don't you walk the talk? (Though there is no certainty you can.)" It is very interesting to replace "magical girl" with "statesmen" in this paragraph and think about it that way.

Indeed, statesmen are not ordinary people. And because we do not think of them as ordinary people, by placing such demands on an ordinary person, we recognize those people as statesmen. [I don't think this is a totally accurate translation, but it gets the gist.] But if statesmen who seem to be able to walk their talk were not in actuality far removed from the best of ordinary people, they wouldn't even have that capacity. And so, because a statesman grows distant from ordinary people, it becomes difficult to decide how one [statesman] should conduct himself.

I think I understand why Madoka is referred to as "Chidamari Sketch" now. [This is a pun on "Hidamari Sketch" which as you may know is a comic about young artists by Ume Aoki, who drew the character designs for Madoka. "Hidamari" means sunshine. "Chidamari" means puddle of blood.]

This is an anime that adults should watch.

I found it to be a fascinating read; not only the part about the message of the show, but also his comparison of magical girls to politicians. My translation in that paragraph may be a bit weak, but basically he's talking about the question of morality from a point of view you cannot understand--in this case, a normal person's POV versus a MG/politician's POV, but that kind of "disconnect" happens in all kinds of situations.

Plus, it's interesting to get the opinion of someone who was initially put off by the look of the show, but then came back, gave it a real chance, and discovered something thought-provoking, evocative, and engaging. What more can you ask for in a good story?
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the well-thought out synopsis and introductory opinion, Key. I, actually, pre-ordered the series about an hour ago. And I'm eager to experience what everyone's been raving about for myself. The way it's been described by others in the forum--especially by you--tells me it has the type of story and plot protein that I look for.

J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:
If I'm banned, then why I'm here replying to you? Apparently, you like talking about lots of things you're clueless about. There's a few five letter words in the dictionary that describe a person that does that.

Look, we've already been warned. But, word of advice: try to use some common sense in the future. I was obviously referring to your being banned in the past, which you and I both know you're aware of.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
On a complete side note, I have yet to see Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, but I plan on watching it in the second half of next year. I believe it shares the same director as PMMM, so it would be interesting to at least check it out.

Shinbo did direct Nanoha as well, but not A's or StrikerS; and his touch isn't nearly as obvious in Nanoha as anything else he's done.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Look, we've already been warned. But, word of advice: try to use some common sense in the future. I was obviously referring to your being banned in the past, which you and I both know you're aware of.

If I was banned, I wouldn't be posting with the same account. It didn't happen. Also points for being creepy enough to do research on someone like that just because they pointed out you don't know what you're talking about. Gotta love the internet. Don't have a good argument, go search for other stuff to dig up on that person. That like puts you in a special classification of internet poster for sure.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
To be fair there is such a thing as temp-banning.

But yeah, 504NOSON2 should be ashamed for dragging up something like that. It has no bearing on the current discussion. I expect slimy politicians to go digging for dirt in order to discredit an opponent they otherwise cannot defeat, but I didn't think people on the internet would try the same thing. Guess that's me being naive for still being surprised at what the internet is capable of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14