• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kotoura-San (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
ep.11

spoiler[the "attacker" almost got mifune til daichi take the hit give here kotoura & mori see people come in "attacker" run away.

give kotoura feel like a blame for it all go walk away til knee hurt oh here come cop lady take kotoura to her place to patch the knee & have dinner.

while manabe feel more worry about kotoura til on door come demon mori which had walk to their school from their kids years some talk give mori want manabe but manabe want kotoura then all fine patch move on.

daichi all ok give still be with mifune give showing kid years saving mifune from bullies by take a punch for mifune.

& then daichi & mifune realize something give know who the "attacker" then tried called kotoura til the "attacker" is the cop lady!!!

give more cop lady had a split personality stress issue due reveal her younger years was ofter bullied due to being a tall girl which stress is unleash.

look kotoura almost going get "stick" til kotoura i want to live here manabe to rescue & kotoura going I Know Youre In There Somewhere speech on cop lady & yep it work back to normal.

cop lady being sorry & confess it all everything all fine now 1ep to go. ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

So spoiler[Daichi jumped in front and protected] Mifune, I think I prefered that as the spoiler[guy doing the heroic] thing tends to be cool. And it turns out that the spoiler[attacker is the detective, Aki Tsukino], looked up her name. Really I feel for her as it was a fairly sad backstory, she was a spoiler[timid tall girl who got bullied by the other kids, and after training to not be a pushover anymore just scared people away, and developed another personality that took her stress out]. Maybe it is that I too was a spoiler[timid and tall person who got bullied and I actually got to the end of my rope from] stress and attacked another student and felt even more isolated.

Also Moritani was able to spoiler[confess to Manabe with the full expectations that it was going to be rejected, great that they could get that out of the way, now we just need Kotoura to confess.] And one episode left.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Sort of interesting how the mystery part of the story gets resolved without using Kotoura-san's power.

Next and final episode has monster mom. That has the potential to be more interesting.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
The whole thing with spoiler[The detective being the attacker] was promising, but it lost me when spoiler[they revealed it was a split personality. The whole crazy cackling villain bit was too over the top to take seriously.] Also, this is a nitpick but spoiler[How did Manabe get up there to save Kotoura in the 10 seconds between when we see the empty rooftop and when she's being attacked? Dude must by Wally West's kid.]

The segment between spoiler[Moritani and Manabe] was rather sweet, and I'm glad it was included before the last episode. But one thing still bugs me about the character dynamics in this show: Nearly every conflict stems from an outside force causing problems for Kotoura and her friends, and then Kotoura blames herself for it, no matter how little she was involved. That made a bit of sense in the early part of the series, but they've now repeated this a half dozen times through the series. At some point, you'd think somebody would decisively say "No, this isn't your fault. Blaming yourself is just self-pity. If you want to help, don't try to insist on taking responsibility for something you shouldn't, and just be there for your friends the way they've been there for you."
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
Clash with the attacker was more funny than serious.
Kotoura needed some confidence boost.
Don't thinkspoiler[ leaving Manabe out] of it was the best choice.
spoiler[Moritani] finally showed some courage andspoiler[ confessed.]
Looks like there is still some hope left for her.
Everyone seems to be more or less paired up now..
spoiler[Manabe] played the role of the hero rather well.
spoiler[Tsukino] being the culprit, never saw that one coming.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
that just seemed way to easy. Kinda feel that this was a weak arc, but I still enjoyed it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Worst episode imo of yet. I did not enjoy the latest episode with the revelation in my opinion.

Hopefully the finale picks business up because the pilot episode got my attention and now this show is falling apart week after week. Right now, the show would stand as a 5/10 or something along that line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'd definitely rate it much higher than a 5, but I will agree that episode 11 was one of the weakest ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
It was surprisingly predictable despite that this would have been considered a stunning plot twist 1000 years ago. These days, you need at least 3-4 layers of plot twists to keep people excited. Overall, it wasn't too bad, the main plot was secondary to the nice moments between Manabe/Moritani and Yuriko/Glasses (can't remember his name off the of my head atm lol). Looking forward to the finale.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
Plot twist? It's rumored that in season 2 spoiler[Kotoura converts to Bahá'í and proclaims herself the next great messenger. With her psychic abilities, she gains a following and assumes the prime ministership, putting Japan directly in confrontation with the avowedly anti-Bahá'íst Islamic Republic of Iran. Manabe is dispatched as a goodwill ambassador to smooth things over,] but then there's a live action movie spinoff involving Ben Affleck to show what happened next. spoiler[This time he plays the Ayatollah.]
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
Plot twist? It's rumored that in season 2 spoiler[Kotoura converts to Bahá'í and proclaims herself the next great messenger. With her psychic abilities, she gains a following and assumes the prime ministership, putting Japan directly in confrontation with the avowedly anti-Bahá'íst Islamic Republic of Iran. Manabe is dispatched as a goodwill ambassador to smooth things over,] but then there's a live action movie spinoff involving Ben Affleck to show what happened next. spoiler[This time he plays the Ayatollah.]

Love it.

Love everything about it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale
Meh episode once again to this meh series imo. spoiler["Girl-to-girl confesssion"]

spoiler[The mom is also grumpy as ever in this episode although I am happy about Kotoura-chan determination to stand up to her. Lol @ the "pillow fight". Hahaha. The part with the daughter and mother was kind of predictable imo but I am glad they made up somewhat.]

The first episode of this series was fairly impressive but the following ones that followed it did not click for me. Now this is just my opinion but I did not enjoy this series. I am rating it as not really good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
It was good to see Kotoura defend herself against her mother. It was even better to see her mom gain back her loving eyes from the past. I liked the ending, spoiler[it looked like he was going to kiss her but instead he expressed his deep love for her]. I gave this a Very Good. It had a nice mixture of drama and comedy.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well I liked...parts...of it...

The scene between spoiler[Kotoura and Manabe] was sweet, and I liked that the spoiler[confession of love between the two of them] wasn't overplayed. It was understated for the most part, but felt like a good conclusion.

The scenes with spoiler[her mother] on the other hand...ugh. spoiler[Pretty much nothing worked there. I was actually really excited when Kotoura finally stood up to her mom and told her off. And while the pillow fight was goofy, it was rather cathartic to see Kotoura angry about something, and not blaming herself for somebody else being miserable.

But then we're apparently supposed to forgive her mother for abandoning of a 5-year-old, telling her she wishes she had never given birth to her, insulting her, emotionally abusing her, and then attempting to physically assault her. Because oh, she felt really bad about it! So it's okay! And once again Kotoura blames herself for not realizing her mother loved her deep down all along. Because that's how that works.]

Overall, I think the series is too uneven to give it much of a recommendation. The comedic moments weren't laugh-out-loud funny, but they were entertaining. The melodrama was often too forced to be engrossing, but worked on occasion. The characters, though, never really changed much after the first 1/2 of the show, and characters who are rather detestable are easily forgiven without any adequate reason.

Last edited by lossthief on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[ESP Research Society] meets its end.
Lots of flashbacks this time.
Kotoura's awkwardness was really cute ^^
This anime was pretty fun though.
It was a good combination of fun, romance and drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14