• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Comments on Digital Piracy After Manga Uploader Arrests

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
^If you're going to reply with a one-liner, take the time to read what others have explained repeatedly in this thread. Even if CR has some shared licenses with Funimation, most of them are not available in regions that Funimation doesn't cover because Funimation gets exclusive rights for most of its shows. You may be able to watch Attack on Titan on Crunchyroll in the US, but not in Latin America. And it's not even common that Funi shows end up in CR too. From last year I'm pretty sure only Akatsuki no Yona was a shared license and I don't think there was any of them this year. Heck this year's Ninja Slayer was supposedly intended to be a worldwide stream, but since Funi got it, guess what, it wasn't. It's not gratuitous that all CR Latin American users curse every license that Funimation gets, especially since last year when they started to increase the amount of simulcasts they got. Every simulcast that Funi gets is literally screwing out everyone this side of the border
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^If you're going to reply with a one-liner, take the time to read what others have explained repeatedly in this thread. Even if CR has some shared licenses with Funimation, most of them are not available in regions that Funimation doesn't cover because Funimation gets exclusive rights for most of its shows. You may be able to watch Attack on Titan on Crunchyroll in the US, but not in Latin America. And it's not even common that Funi shows end up in CR too. From last year I'm pretty sure only Akatsuki no Yona was a shared license and I don't think there was any of them this year. Heck this year's Ninja Slayer was supposedly intended to be a worldwide stream, but since Funi got it, guess what, it wasn't. It's not gratuitous that all CR Latin American users curse every license that Funimation gets, especially since last year when they started to increase the amount of simulcasts they got. Every simulcast that Funi gets is literally screwing out everyone this side of the border

Not sure where I see a problem considering those streams are most likely not available no matter who gets them. That's the main reason I support piracy. We need a worldwide distribution system. A steam system for manga/anime would be best.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Your previous post made it seem like you were disagreeing with Adamanto (who claimed that Funimation licenses pretty much screw everyone outside of the US) by saying CR has Funi streams too. I have no idea what you're arguing for
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Your previous post made it seem like you were disagreeing with Adamanto (who claimed that Funimation licenses pretty much screw everyone outside of the US) by saying CR has Funi streams too. I have no idea what you're arguing for

I'm arguing for worldwide releases.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
I do reserve the right to think less of someone who has plenty of money( and "plenty" is mighty relative since manga goes for $10-15 brand-new) and then buys second-hand because reasons...
Ali07 wrote:
I don't believe that, just because someone should have the money (and you somehow know they have this money), they must spend it in a certain way, because they are obligated to support the industry.
Cutiebunny wrote:
Wow, I really don't know where to begin with Candis' 'elitist' opinion. Some people value merchandise such as Blu-Rays or nendoroids over manga. And what of those titles that are out of print and the only way to get them is to buy them is used? Do you think less of those people as well?

You have a right to think of others however you like, but if you're this judgmental of others, in a hobby no less, maybe it's time to reflect upon why you feel the need to be so critical. There will always be someone in any hobby that can easily outspend you. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate wealthier hobbyists looking down upon you because you choose to spend your money on manga instead of, say, giving a larger percentage of what you spend directly to the artist in the form of a direct artwork commission.

I agree with Ali07 here. People are entitled to spend their money in whatever fashion they choose. Just because one person chooses to buy mass produced figures does not mean that they're any less of a fan than one that solely buys new manga.
{I only just recently re-read this comment section and that is why I am replying now instead of a month ago.}

I take umbrage at the idea that I am an "elitist" for suggesting that people who buy used product, simply because it is cheaper, are not supporting the manga industry as much as those who buy brand-new copies.

That is not elitism: That is basic economics.

I think that you missed my first comment where I quoted a commenter who disagreed with another person, who had posted the idea that profits from used sales don't make it back to the creators and that this was a bad thing, because he/she did not have much money and needed to sell old things in order to buy new ones; My point was that I believed the original person was referring to cheapskates and not to people with less money, thus cutting the latter out of the equation; I, also, outright stated, in my second comment, that buying out-of-print was a-okay, and that this was not a financial competition.

My point was the very opposite of elitism: When people (consumers and employers) pay their way for what they can afford to, the world runs in a much smoother manner; Money is moved around in a much more equitable way.

Yes, it is the right of people to make legal purchases of anything that they want; Purchasing manga used, entirely, is legal and it is the right of a person to do so.

The economics, however, of such a consumer spending pattern is that less new manga will be translated, or even made, because less profits will be earned; If literally every person bought manga used, NO new manga would be made and we would just be circulating old works.

When I refer to people who buy still-available manga ( a product that is nowhere in the price range of Cristal or Rolex) used, when they can afford to buy it new, I am referring to the Scrooge McDucks who are more than capable of buying four bottles of Coke but buy one, and then get four straws, just to save a buck.

The culture of "cheap, cheap, cheap" is entirely legal but it is one that should not be free from criticism, neither for consumers nor employers; The consequences of such a culture are awful and far-reaching.

{Fixed your over-quoting. ~nobahn}
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
In order to have a used manga sale, you must first have a new manga sale. Then some time has to pass for the owner to get tired or run out of space, for the decision to sell their manga (or donate to the library) to come to pass.

Who buys a brand new manga to immediately sell it to a used vendor. You might as well read it (grazing) in the bookstore.

Used sales have no significant impact on new manga sales. People who buy manga new, will keep buying manga new, except for those instances when their title is OOP.

Solely buying used manga is a problematic choice. You are going to have to wait for used manga to become available, you are taking significant chances that some of your favorite title's volumes will never be available or the condition will be less than nice.

I just don't see people clamoring over for used manga sales.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with Tars Tarkus here.

I've known people who bought manga on sale or used because it was all they could afford. I've known people to buy manga used because they are late to the party and it is out of print. However I don't think I have ever known someone who could afford new manga and bought it used just to save a buck.

Since most manga is part of a multi-volume series, waiting for it to become available used is a mug's game. Invariably one or more volumes gets scary expensive or become impossible to find. There may be some people out there who can afford to buy their manga new and refuse to do so, however, I doubt there are enough of them to be worth worrying about.

Being an anime and manga fan and collector is really expensive. Any legal way of making a dollar go further is fair game as far as I can see.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, the discussion that started with someone saying that buying used manga was worse than piracy. Laughing

Also, CandisWhite, I'm in agreement with you. The best way to support the industry is buying things new, even better if you pre-order ahead of time.

And, I believe (may be wrong here) that the reason Cutiebunny brought up the whole "elitist" tag is because of what you said. To say that you'd "think less" of someone due to their spending habits does lend itself to someone believing you have an elitist attitude.

For me, that was the only thing I disagreed with. I wouldn't judge someone on their spending habits, when we're talking about a hobby. Sure, I'd like those that can afford to buy manga new to do so, but I'd also like to believe that those that can afford to but still buy used...are a very small amount of people.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
Adamanto said it best Viz doesn't Give crap about the rest of the world so why should I care if they don't ? Ali07 seems ton have a problem with me buying my anime and Manga new, first off your comment makes you sound like an elitist prick I Still buy my anime manga still watching them for free online funny enough I'm watching shows that are not license here like slap up party arad senki your gonna tell me that wrong two Rolling Eyes )
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Dude, your post makes no sense at all. What point are you even trying to make? Ali07 wasn't saying that at all. They were saying that another user's comments came off as elitist. They didn't mention anything about people buying new anime/manga.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ali07"]
mar24364E8 wrote:
The blocked anime that We can't even watch, this the message I get all the time on their streaming site, NEON ALLEY
Actar wrote:
Just because they're for piracy doesn't always mean that they are trying to justify it for themselves.

True, people don't have to justify themselves if they pirate stuff.

But, in terms of the discussion that has been happening here recently, with dark13, it did seem like they were trying to justify their pirating by saying they buy some of the manga they pirate. Of course, as the discussion went on, that doesn't seem to be the case.
as far as I know this Person Knows nothing about me I still Buy lots of anime and manga goods I don't see how watch free anime makes me the bad guy ( this post 100% elitist )
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
@dark13

Ali07 didn't claim to know you, he clearly said he was responding to what you had written in this thread. If he didn't understand you correctly that is likely because you are not the clearest writer here.

I see nothing elitist in his post unless you consider paying for what you take to make one part of an elite group.

Several people have tried to explain to you that not every site on the internet providing free anime is legal. What you do with this information is entirely up to you. Whether your use of pirate sites makes you a bad guy depends entirely on how flexible your conscience is. No one here can tell you what sites to use.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@dark13

Ali07 didn't claim to know you, he clearly said he was responding to what you had written in this thread. If he didn't understand you correctly that is likely because you are not the clearest writer here.

I see nothing elitist in his post unless you consider paying for what you take to make one part of an elite group.

Several people have tried to explain to you that not every site on the internet providing free anime is legal. What you do with this information is entirely up to you. Whether your use of pirate sites makes you a bad guy depends entirely on how flexible your conscience is. No one here can tell you what sites to use.
well like I said to someone else Viz is always sure to provoke at least a wince of frustration from a number of potential viewers by nabbing at least one anticipated title and stashing it where it cannot be seen by Canadian eyes. While most of these bigger titles tend to have DVD and BD releases at some point, there are a number of titles which Viz has deemed worthy only of online distribution , such as Hitman Reborn, MÄR, and Strawberry 100%. While they no doubt see themselves as trailblazers for this innovative cost-cutting approach, those titles forever elude members of the Commonwealth in Hulu’s rigid confines.

( If I can't watch any of these shows legally what else is there ?) You speak of legal streaming But everyone knows that bull -_- ( from the many comments I seen here people agree with that ) There is reasoning behind this Hulu-exclusivity. Content embedded from that platform generates a substantially higher amount of ad-revenue, and Viz has not been the only company guilty of going down this path.
( its like the rest of the world who love anime don't exist and I'm not just talking about me in Canada Not sure why you find this so hard to understand ) But I will do what I keep doing,
I want to get these thoughts out since I never got a chance to .
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
... as far as I know this Person Knows nothing about me I still Buy lots of anime and manga goods I don't see how watch free anime makes me the bad guy ( this post 100% elitist )

Dude, I'm not seeing how either of them are attacking your person or coming across as elitist, even after reading the posts those quotes refer to? And if you buy merchandise, unless it's knock-offs, good, that's one form of support, but using that fact to make a justification for piracy however, don't. It's comparing apples to oranges.... Look, if something is unavailable(outside US&Canada etc), or too pricey(residents in poorer countries etc), then pirate away, it won't make you any more or less of a fan, at least not in my book(besides, I pirate too...).

But I do have to wonder, for a Canadian with English as first language, who also often comments on translations, your posts make me scratch my head when reading. Dyslexia? Confused ...

Also, as far as being someone who collects anime merchandise(?), your complaints in a few earlier posts on this site of too high subscription fees for streaming sites strikes as a bit odd?...
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
dark13 wrote:
... as far as I know this Person Knows nothing about me I still Buy lots of anime and manga goods I don't see how watch free anime makes me the bad guy ( this post 100% elitist )

But I do have to wonder, for a Canadian with English as first language, who also often comments on translations, your posts make me scratch my head when reading. Dyslexia? Confused ...

Also, as far as being someone who collects anime merchandise(?), your complaints in a few earlier posts on this site of too high subscription fees for streaming sites strikes as a bit odd?...
Yeah I will admit I was not thinking clearly at the time but now I am Sorry for that, But that still doesn't change the fact like shows like D grey man second half is still not available you can only watch it Via free anime sits ( you should read Psycho 101 post on legal stream he has a very condescending attitude towards People who Pirate and most likely have no access to anime at all unlike some of us that why I posted like this ) on page 10 even for a Mod it is a disgusting way of thinking ( many have already called it out tho )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14