• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Halt Ad-Supported Streaming Starting With Spring 2022 Season

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I mean, to be frank, I personally loathe the bingeing model of viewership. Some of the best experiences I've ever had with anime have involved following a show week-to-week and getting blown away by a brutal cliffhanger, only to spend most of the week chewing over it and theorizing about what will come next.

For me is was day to day talking about what happened on DragonBall Z and then wondering when the rest of the Namek arc was going to air :S

But yeah they probably could afford to give subscribers a choice. Though that would probably give them an excuse to add tiers and another sub hike.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Whether fans are dumb enough to fall for this and lessen their voice about the change or not is something we'll have to see, though, hopefully fans don't stop voicing their voice about what CR/Sony is trying to do to the anime fandom.

And what is your claim that CR/Sony is trying to "do" to anime fandom, exactly? Stick it to fandom just because some won't be able to watch new shows for free on a week delay? Encourage people to pirate more?

Piracy not going to grow much (if at all) because of this because IT'S ALREADY THAT BIG. The decision is not going to hurt the growth of anime fandom or the rampant popularity of certain titles because there are so many ways out there to get around this. Anime fandom is so much more robust now than it was 20 years ago (in the earliest days of digital distribution) that this decision will, in the long run, barely cause a ripple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

When will this "new content" be made available? At the end of a season, when the next season starts, or later? Regardless, any later than 1 week is still going to piss off people.
I'm assuming it will be like was suggested earlier in the thread that they will make the streams free at the end of the season but it's all so vaguely worded and I'm frustrated they just keep trying to explain what's happening in their FAQ or ANN updates instead of being more transparent about it and just making a tweet explaining what's happening to their streaming model. If it means that they'll put out free streams after the season ends, that will still suck but will be less sucky than not having any new free shows at all.
Manusia_sampah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:33 am Reply with quote
Why do many people think CR is the only big player in the anime market, you don't know bilibili? I think so, not many US people know bilibili global/bstation. they (bstation) have almost every anime title every season. Also old titles, English subtitles, free, no ads, and of course legal. Or is bstation not available in the U.S?
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Manusia_sampah wrote:
Why do many people think CR is the only big player in the anime market, you don't know bilibili? I think so, not many US people know bilibili global/bstation. they (bstation) have almost every anime title every season. Also old titles, English subtitles, free, no ads, and of course legal. Or is bstation not available in the U.S?

The only thing carried by them (at least by a quick check on their website) seems to be chinese productions. Which makes sense since CR, HiDive etc all have the US licenses.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Since you don't seem to like my comments because they're always being deleted I'll simply say this. Shit like the behemoth is pulling encourages people to "pirate" (really shitty choice of terms) anime and I've got news for ya-it's on the increase and ain't gonna stop anytime soon.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Villain-chan wrote:
Whether fans are dumb enough to fall for this and lessen their voice about the change or not is something we'll have to see, though, hopefully fans don't stop voicing their voice about what CR/Sony is trying to do to the anime fandom.

And what is your claim that CR/Sony is trying to "do" to anime fandom, exactly? Stick it to fandom just because some won't be able to watch new shows for free on a week delay? Encourage people to pirate more?

Piracy not going to grow much (if at all) because of this because IT'S ALREADY THAT BIG. The decision is not going to hurt the growth of anime fandom or the rampant popularity of certain titles because there are so many ways out there to get around this. Anime fandom is so much more robust now than it was 20 years ago (in the earliest days of digital distribution) that this decision will, in the long run, barely cause a ripple.
I believe I already said all i had to say on this and what i believe it could entail in my past replies. So, I refer u to them.

That said i will point out some things here. First, everyone is making a big deal about this, regardless of whether this has an effect or not this alone shows fans give a crap if the free with ads option goes away. 2nd, regardless of whatever u believe, anime is for more than just kids and is for everyone of all ages and while its true that there are a LOT of pirates, there are ALSO a lot of anime fans who don't pirate, I'm sure many of which use the ad free ver and am sure they're fans of all ages and not just kids with no allowance cus last I checked, most of the population is not rich, most lvie pay check to pay check and so on and I have no doubt many can't even afford a $8 sub for a month to CR/Sony to watch anime, much less each month so taking away the ad free ver where they could still support and have anime to watch doesn't sit well with me nor with a large amount of anime fans.

3rdly, its clear by how Sony reached out to ya'll that fans care SO MUCH that they're having to do PR and damage control, that alone should speak VOLUMES to how many care and I have no doubt that many are those who're directly being affected by this.

Lastly, neither u nor I can predict the future, this alone may have a ripple affect or, it might be this + something else in the future that leads everyone to piracy. Or maybe tis as u said, nothing comes of it. However the possibility for something to come of it to harm the anime fandom is there and that cannot be disputed otherwise u'r just being ignorant and not willing to consider the possibility or hear what others are saying.

Personally, I feel as large as piracy is AND knowing that its becus fans are able to watch anime for free and let them try out shows leads to a sale increase in merch where as without that option, it leads to lost sales, lost views and so on, that this is why this, removing the free with ads option (I mean its still here kinda but not as it was b4, certainly not for airing anime) is such a bad move and will lead to lost sales in anime merch and BDs which, lest I need to say this, how much of someone's sub money is REALLY GOING to the ones making the anime? (Both the studios, the people in the studio that makes the anime and the creators of said works) Not much from what i understand, if anything. So this alone already means u have lost some sales for anime merch and BDs cus some who refuse to pirate will not be able to watch anime anymore which is wrong. Likewise, those that didn't pirate b4 most likely will pirate now, having lost their only means of a legal free option for a lot of shows airing which is also wrong to put someone ina sitch of No anime period unless u pirate.

^ This is why so many r upset with this move, becus they KNOW it ain't right and does affect the fandom, no matter how big or small. I got nothing left to say on this unless we get new info or I wanna reply to someone's post lol
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Personally, I feel as large as piracy is AND knowing that its becus fans are able to watch anime for free and let them try out shows leads to a sale increase in merch where as without that option, it leads to lost sales, lost views and so on, that this is why this, removing the free with ads option (I mean its still here kinda but not as it was b4, certainly not for airing anime) is such a bad move and will lead to lost sales in anime merch and BDs . . .

Sorry, but this is a specious argument. Fans who can't (or won't) afford an $8 a month subscription can't/won't afford to buy anime merch and BDs, either. So whatever minor support they're offering - which could only be coming through unblocked ads - is minimal at best.

As for the rest, no, I can't predict the future exactly, but I can extrapolate based on more than two decades of experience closely watching the anime fan scene. Anime fans love to whine and moan over every little perceived slight from "evil" corporations and companies, doomsay over things that affect only a tiny portion of the fandom, think they're entitled to free access to everything (admittedly, this is a more recent trend), and ignore any practical economics because it's a hobby and fans have to be pandered to even if it runs a company into bankruptcy. They don't save their energy for things that actually do matter.

So to slightly adjust something I said earlier, based on past trends I've observed, I think it's very highly likely that this will not ultimately create more than a ripple on the anime scene and am still firmly convinced that a lot of people are vastly overestimating how many viewers will be affected by this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:09 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Well, I think neither Disney, HBO, Netflix or Amazon offers ad-supported content for free,

Actually, Disney will but at a lower price

Disney+ to Introduce an Ad-Supported Subscription Offering in Late 2022 - Will Provide Greater Accessibility to a Broader Audience and Give Consumers More Choice and Control
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:47 am Reply with quote
Sonycrunchmation may be right or wrong with this move, but I can't help but think that when it comes to a gateway for new fans, they may not have locked the gate, but they have put a bouncer on the door.

You can watch the old stuff, but not the new.

For now.

It's like they can't handle too many new fans.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:51 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Since you don't seem to like my comments because they're always being deleted I'll simply say this. Shit like the behemoth is pulling encourages people to "pirate" (really shitty choice of terms) anime and I've got news for ya-it's on the increase and ain't gonna stop anytime soon.
If you're making empty posts that basically say "I don't care about this topic," then yeah, you're just spamming the thread and will probably see posts deleted, like your previous one was. Nothing to do with liking or disliking.

Key wrote:
Sorry, but ["removing the free with ads option will lead to lost sales in anime merch and BDs"] is a specious argument. Fans who can't (or won't) afford an $8 a month subscription can't/won't afford to buy anime merch and BDs, either. So whatever minor support they're offering - which could only be coming through unblocked ads - is minimal at best.

I agree, and we've already got proof to the contrary: the late 2000s US market crash. More viewers watching for free via piracy didn't lead to more anime sales, and many of the companies that scaled back or closed down during that time also had divisions selling manga, soundtracks, merchandise, etc.. Those divisions didn't see surges in sales from the imaginary "saw the anime for free, now wants ancillary products" crowd, and were often one of the first things shuttered by companies trying to stay afloat. Not to mention, manga and music are/were just as pirateable as the anime themselves.

Casperian wrote:
There are too many problems to name with streaming and availability of content outside of downloading that I can't even see it happening that people will stop downloading.

If you can't see it happening, that you haven't been paying attention. When it comes to the anime piracy scene, the overwhelming majority of users opt for streaming, as seen by the download counts on major torrent sites and the view counts on bootleg streaming sites. The overwhelming majority doesn't care about the technical quality of what they're watching, since bootleg streams are primarily worse-quality re-encodes of videos ripped from legal sites (with the same official translations, of course). They just want it fast and free, and bootleg streams provide that for them. Maybe some care about being able to download from illegal streaming sites, but I see a lot of "I only use mobile devices / I don't want to clutter up my hard drive" sentiment out there. And even among the small minority that downloads, most go for the 1:1 legal-stream-rips, not any of the versions that might be better quality.

Besides, isn't the low monthly cost of a streaming subscription (relative to disc purchases) kind of a trade-off for not having permanent ownership of the content? The complaints that legal streaming sites don't allow downloads are reminiscent of buffet restaurant patrons complaining that they're not allowed to take home as much food as they want.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Apparently there is some capability of monitoring the amount of traffic on the know larger pirate sites. It would be very instructive to know if the next few months shows an increase in that traffic as predicted by many on this thread and the other threads covering the changes to Crunchyroll/Funimation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:41 am Reply with quote
Anything Marvel has been leaving Netflix towards Disney Plus (who now owns Marvel), so it's still available, just on another streaming site

Unfortunately for people in poorer regions of the world (where a lot of pirate numbers come from), some companies don't care much if they pirate since companies can't get much money out of them anyways (and it may even cost the companies more money to make it available there than the income they may earn there, i.e. negative cash flow)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13