• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Videogamep wrote:
Sorry, I can't. I remember reading an article about a year ago (I have a really good memory for useless details) where I think it was Nasu who said it wouldn't be a sequel. I have no idea how to find it now, though.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/31/fatestay-night-co-creator-talks-upcoming-anime/
Whether that's credible is another story though

I remember read about the same Type-Moon Ace magazine article including the translation of the interview in another site and pretty much is what they say, that this anime is not intended to be a sequel of Fate/Zero. That was said not by Nasu but by ufotable.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
The way I interpreted it was spoiler[as much as he accepts how and who he is, he still wants to know if something birthed to be evil (as he is) is something that's actually allowed in the world. He wants to know if Angra will judge itself for what it is of it'll accept itself]

Yeah, I greatly oversimplified. spoiler[While I do agree that is related to his development in Zero, I think that is actually less of a direct resolution of how he was left in Zero than Fate's approach. This is him becoming aware of something he had no idea of in Zero and is more like a new path that opened up.] Fate's approach is a more direct continuation of what Kirei was going for at the end of Zero. I'd say Fate's works better, but both work. So while HF also resolves Kirei's development from Zero, Fate resolves that and Saber's. So again, if you're looking for a route to tie up the most loose ends from Zero, Fate is best choice.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
I remember read about the same Type-Moon Ace magazine article including the translation of the interview in another site and pretty much is what they say, that this anime is not intended to be a sequel of Fate/Zero. That was said not by Nasu but by ufotable.

Yeah, but who made this UBW anime adaption and who was only responsible for the original material (and I think brought in to consult)? Those responsible for this adaption are who gets final say on the intent of the UBW anime. That isn't Nasu.

Anyway, Nasu's line seems far more concerned that his work be viewed as independent (and not a sequel of) Urobuchi's work than about how people view anime adaptions.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
The way I interpreted it was spoiler[as much as he accepts how and who he is, he still wants to know if something birthed to be evil (as he is) is something that's actually allowed in the world. He wants to know if Angra will judge itself for what it is of it'll accept itself]

Yeah, I greatly oversimplified. spoiler[While I do agree that is related to his development in Zero, I think that is actually less of a direct resolution of how he was left in Zero than Fate's approach. This is him becoming aware of something he had no idea of in Zero and is more like a new path that opened up.] Fate's approach is a more direct continuation of what Kirei was going for at the end of Zero. I'd say Fate's works better, but both work. So while HF also resolves Kirei's development from Zero, Fate resolves that and Saber's. So again, if you're looking for a route to tie up the most loose ends from Zero, Fate is best choice.

Jonny Mendes wrote:

Yeah, but who made this UBW anime adaption and who was only responsible for the original material (and I think brought in to consult)? Those responsible for this adaption are who gets final say on the intent of the UBW anime.

The article killjoy_the refer was in Nasu blog.

What ufotable said was in Type-Moon Ace magazine
This is about that article.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/28/new-fatestay-night-anime-serious-like-fatezero/

Nasu didn't wanted UBW to be a sequel of Fate/Zero
ufotable didn't wanted UBW to be a sequel of Fate/Zero

If Nasu, the author of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works said in is blog, and ufotable, the studio responsible for both Fate/Zero and Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works said in that interview that this is not to be a sequel of Fate/Zero then i don't know who can tell a different thing.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I intended to make at least one post after episode 24 and its subsequent ANN review, but I hadn't cared to muster up the effort. Guess it's thanks to a combination of FFXIV: Heavensward, always having another forum to talk about UBW in, and subconscious acknowledgement of JesuOtaku's thinking that I needed a break from this forum/thread for a bit. Was thinking of touching on more elements of episode 24 (and now episode 25) and their corresponding reviews in my first post here in a week, but I think some laundry work here is in order to begin with, now that plenty have responded here already. Smile

Key wrote:
I am a fan of epilogues which show where the characters are months or years later, so seeing Rin with the more mature hairdo was a nice touch, as was seeing Luvia (from the Prisma Illya series) pop up, but I also agree that Rin making keeping Shiro in line her life goal seemed like a bit of a character betrayal. But getting to see Rin act naturally, rather than as a full-blown tsundere, was a treat.

Luvia was also earlier established as a character and lore entity in Hollow Ataraxia, but you're right, Luvia's is most recognizable from Prisma Illya-- so much so that I think even Nasu jokingly complained that Hiroshi Hiroyama (author of Prillya) stole his thunder with regard to Luvia.

And as for what Rin said about keeping Shirou in line as her "life goal", I think you might've overlooked this.
RosaBatata wrote:
Regarding both the review and some of the comments about the line "My life's goal is to make you into a new man - one who's thoroughly happy". Notice that it was a terrible mistranslation.
The word in Japanese is not life's goal but 野望 which means desire or ambition. That is very different from a life's goal. I guess that the translator chose this translation because he saw it as a sort of marriage proposal, but it really doesn't fit Rin's character at all.

So no, Rin still has plenty of independence and her own motivations not directly tied to Shirou's wellbeing; any "character betrayal" here was only implied in the speed subs, as official as they may be. (It's possible that the subs may even be changed on CR later, as it's happened before.)

To kpk, among others who may have been disappointed by the lack of Gilgamesh versus Saber…. well, a certain someone already kinda beat me to the point I was going to make while writing this post, hah.

GhostStakerSA wrote:
Shirou needed to fight Gil for narrative reasons, in order to fully commit to the rethinking of his ideal. The whole point of that fight was to show that a fake, whether it be an ideal or a sword, would be able to overcome the original, as an extension of Shirou's ideal. And that's really all the thematic justification that the Shirou vs Gil fight needed.

Beyond the power-levels discussion, this up above is the essential justification for the Shirou/Gilgamesh conflict. Putting the overall narrative justification another way, quoting myself…
Quote:
The series's primary protagonist is always going to be Shirou, for better or for worse; the last arc in Unlimited Blade Works, a route that is most concerned with his character, would do well to have him at least try and face Gilgamesh as the Final Boss. It's quite thematically appropriate in of itself for Shirou, the would-be Hero of Justice, to try and beat him, the Evil that Must be Defeated. After a battle with Archer in which he reaffirms his ideals of not just wanting to "save everyone" but also be a hero, wouldn't it do a disservice to Shirou's growth (as shonen-powered as it is) if he wasn't forced into a fight where he had to prove the strength of his "Answer?"

I don't think Fate/Zero put a whole lot of stock into a potential clash between Gilgamesh and Saber, at least not enough to warrant that they absolutely had to have a final battle with each other ten years later. Gil seemed to only take serious notice of Saber a few times in the Fate/Zero anime, as far as I can recall-- most notably at the Banquet of Kings, where Gil likened her anguished face to that of a 'virgin being deflowered in bed', and his 'proposal' right before the Grail was destroyed. (And I think part of why there was that prior history between Gil and Saber in the first place was to justify Gil's role as a bit more than an NTR antagonist to Shirou in the Fate route, where Shirou was romantically involved with Saber.) At this point, with there being so little development or reminders of that "relationship", as you already noted, I ultimately see no more reason for Saber to fight Gil than for Shirou to fight Gil beyond 'I want to see this character I like more have a chance to do more stuff.' (Which I can really sympathize with, but such 'preference' isn't everything.) It may be enough for Saber to come face-to-face with the corrupted Grail that she so painstakingly sought-- a black hole vomiting forth 'mud' from high up above a bloated and fleshy vessel-- to find some further closure.

---------------
Now addressing that siliconera link (which again I was somewhat beaten to the punch on making a point of)… I don't think it should be any question that this source-- http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/31/fatestay-night-co-creator-talks-upcoming-anime/-- is pretty legit, with its information being compiled through the blog Nasu keeps. He specifically told ufotable during their first production meeting:
Siliconera Article wrote:
“This might be a little extreme, but in terms of story and picture, please think of [Fate/Stay Night] as a different thing from Zero. Stay Night’s goals and Zero’s goals are different things. If we were to impertinently connect the two, the story and mood would be ruined. Stay Night and Zero were written by different authors and have different stories, so they must both be respected in such a way.”

Nasu felt a little unreasonable and thought that he was taking the risk of saying something irrational, but was relieved to hear the staff members respond with, “Of course, we understand. This is not a sequel to Zero, but a new Stay Night.”

There is also this earlier article that translates and sums up content from the 9th(?) volume of Type-Ace magazine-- http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/28/new-fatestay-night-anime-serious-like-fatezero/-- that indicates what ufotable's plans with Unlimited Blade Works were early on.
Siliconera Article wrote:
Additionally, ufotable say that, while both production staff and viewers may tend to view the new Fate/Stay Night anime as a “sequel to Zero,” they’re attempting to create their adaptation of Fate/Stay Night independently of Fate/Zero, since Zero was able to be what it is using the original Fate/Stay Night game as a foundation.

TL;DR: Fate/stay night was created to be alongside the same "vector" of Fate/Zero, and thus share both a similar atmosphere with it and plug in some elements that would make sense to plug-in in a post-Zero world. While it may be viewed as a "sequel", the overall commitment was to let Fate/stay night be Fate/stay night. And since ufotable's Fate/stay night project was later revealed to be divided up between Unlimited Blade Works the TV anime and Heaven's Feel the theatrical release, it makes sense that UBW didn't make attempts to follow up on all the narrative threads tied to Fate/Zero or F/sn as a whole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I would admit that the Deen anime does, to an extent, tell a more complete story than this adaptation. By blending the 3 different storylines of Fate Stay/Night together I feel it does have a stronger storyline.

(It doesn't really matter if that breaks the character's power levels and all that jazz. The casual viewer is too ignorant to know what can and cannot be done. But at the same time, unfortunately, the ones most likely to buy the dvds are the VN fans and you don't want the ire of going against the wants/needs of the pre-established market because that could lead to a drop in sells. Lose/Lose situation unfortunately.)

A lot of good characters do indeed get shafted by sticking too true to the VN. Rider, Illya, Saber, Kirei, Sakura, and Berserker. To anime only people these are just placeholder characters.

While other characters are given too much focus to the point that one would really rather wonder what everyone else is doing. Caster, Kuzuki, Archer, Shirou, Rin.

I love Archer and his fight with Shirou is what truly makes UBW shine. But at the same time if you're not nearly as invested in him as a character...he's kind of a broken record. You kinda already knew where he was coming from as early as episode 11.

They handled the cinematography spectacularly and kept it extraordinarily entertaining in spite of the redundancy of the thematic point. Nasu himself I think has more or less admitted that it's somewhat embarrassing to look back on his work as he really does hit people over the head with what he's trying to say over and over again. Haha.

All in all, as a Fate fan I enjoyed everything about the series and nothing was wrong in any way whatsoever. (I'm obviously not a purist).

As a casual anime viewer, I can see why this show is fun to watch but too complicated to keep your head wrapped around with all the 'remember this because of that' jazz that the show throws around. Also all the *nudge nudge wink winks* that it keeps poking at the VN fans that just sail over a casual watcher's head. But them action scenes tho!

Ultimately, save for a nitpick on a nuance here or there, I'd say I agree with most of the points that Gabriella made when looking at her reviews as a collective whole. I'd also like to thank all the editors and moderators for their perseverance and endurance through the course of the show.

It's been a wild and crazy ride!
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about that, as a sequel to Zero (and yes, it is a sequel I remember the menger of Ufotable even said it will "Feel like a follow up to Zero") they should have made Saber fight Gil and give more focus to her and her story!

This is why as an anime-only watcher I felt completely unsatisfied with this show.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
I don't care about that, as a sequel to Zero (and yes, it is a sequel I remember the menger of Ufotable even said it will "Feel like a follow up to Zero") they should have made Saber fight Gil and give more focus to her and her story!

This is why as an anime-only watcher I felt completely unsatisfied with this show.

Well then as an anime watcher only you can watch the DEENime? There you have Saber vs Gilgamesh.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

I've said it before here, and I'll say it again, UBW is not Saber's route. You want the Fate route for that, and the only way you're gonna get that outside of being in Japan and being able to play it yourself, is to read or watch a Let's Play of it or find some other way to acquire it.

Why would they go over Saber's story again in UBW if it's already taken care of in Fate? Saber fighting Gil makes no narrative sense and would be outside of both the Doylist and Watsonian reasoning for why the fight had to be Shirou vs Gil.

Go play the Fate route of the VN if you want Saber's story. You won't get it with UBW.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Caramichael wrote:
kpk wrote:

Well then as an anime watcher only you can watch the DEENime? There you have Saber vs Gilgamesh.

I already watched it but I would have loved to watch it with Ufotable's level of production. For today's standards it doesn't hold up.

Beside that's not the point, the point was they should have made it feel more like a sequel and more satisfying for anime only watchers.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Caramichael wrote:
kpk wrote:

I already watched it but I would have loved to watch it with Ufotable's level of production. For today's standards it doesn't stand up.

If you wait a year or two, maybe you can have news of Fate route with ufotable's level of production. If Fate/stay night keep the same level of interest as it have now in Japan, there will be a remake. Don't forget Saber is the favorite heroine of Fate/stay night in Japan.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

I already watched it but I would have loved to watch it with Ufotable's level of production. For today's standards it doesn't hold up.

Beside that's not the point, the point was they should have made it feel more like a sequel and more satisfying for anime only watchers.

If that's the way you're going to continue feeling about it, there's also the VN or select parts of it, which while not animated provides a fuller picture of Saber. Type-Moon was kind enough to... er, make the Fate route (RN version) freely available to android/iphone(?) users. It would have been neat if that was given an official translation for English users.

With UBW being over now and having lifted next-to-nothing from the Fate route, though-- even if it did give Saber more resolution than vanilla UBW-- I think it's more likely that an ufotable adaptation of the Fate route will get made someday. They could work in material from the BD Box 1 light novel called "Garden of Avalon", or at least adapt the Fate route together with the Realta Nua exclusive called "Last Episode" Smile.

Now it may seem weird for it to be the last ufotable adaptation, considering the general consumption order is Fate > UBW> HF and that "Fate" in general is regarded as a sort of "tutorial" route. However, it makes better sense when you consider that Nasu would probably heavily rewrite it anyway (IIRC he said as much if Fate was to be the starting ufotable anime adaptation), and that "Last Episode" is something that, although it unlocks after having completed all three routes in RN, ties most directly with the Fate route.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

But it's not a sequel?

Also, others touched on this before, but the otaku and hardcore Type-Moon fans are going to be the ones buying most of the merchandise with this series. And if ufotable changed the route so much that it wasn't a straight adaptation of UBW anymore, the sales would go down as those fans would complain about the changes made. Saber is the most popular Fate character in Japan by a long shot, but this series was billed as an adaptation of UBW and not as a sequel to Zero. Anyone who thought otherwise had the wrong impression of the show going in, I think.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
kpk wrote:

If that's the way you're going to continue feeling about it, there's also the VN or select parts of it, which while not animated provides a fuller picture of Saber. Type-Moon was kind enough to... er, make the Fate route (RN version) freely available to android/iphone(?) users. It would have been neat if that was given an official translation for English users.

With UBW being over now and having lifted next-to-nothing from the Fate route, though-- even if it did give Saber more resolution than vanilla UBW-- I think it's more likely that an ufotable adaptation of the Fate route will get made someday. They could work in material from the BD Box 1 light novel called "Garden of Avalon" or at least adapt it together with the Realta Nua exclusive called "Last Episode" Smile.

Now it may seem weird for it to be the last ufotable adaptation, considering the general consumption order is Fate > UBW> HF and that "Fate" in general is regarded as a sort of "tutorial" route. However, it makes better sense when you consider that Nasu would probably heavily rewrite it anyway (IIRC he said as much if Fate was to be the starting ufotable anime adaptation), and that "Last Episode" is something that, although it unlocks after having completed all three routes in RN, ties most directly with the Fate route.

That makes sense. You have Fate (DEEN), UBW (ufotable), HF (ufotable) and after you have see them all, you can unblock and watch the anime of Fate route (ufotable) with Realta Nua Last Episode like in a VN.

ufotable keeping Saber story to a minimal in UBW make sense if they are going to tell the full story in a future Fate route anime.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
As a casual anime viewer, I can see why this show is fun to watch but too complicated to keep your head wrapped around with all the 'remember this because of that' jazz that the show throws around. Also all the *nudge nudge wink winks* that it keeps poking at the VN fans that just sail over a casual watcher's head.

Um, no. It was just boringly repetitive. It rambled on ad nauseum on topics that could have been summed up just fine in just a few minutes. At times it seemed to be in love with its own philosophizing. And while F/Z was guilty of this, too, it didn't bog that series down anywhere near as much.

While I've never done the Fate VN, I have read through a few others, enough to recognize this seems to be a common problem with the format more than a problem particular to Fate.
0seveN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The idea that the UBW anime needed to be self contained is just silly in the first place. It's almost like complaining about the last episode of .hack//Sign or Roots because you're anime-only and refuse to play the games.

I feel like the fact that TM made the mobile version of Fate free from UBW's announcement up to the S2 BD release was a good indication that you should probably read it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 133 of 136