• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what a "proto-nationalist" is in this context and why it's such an anathema to the church. "Nationalism" to me has a negative vibe to it, maybe because people who tend to identify with it also tend to be unwilling to compromise on anything no matter who it hurts outside of their acknowledged "nation." But here, I guess I'm not clear on how they're not already a nation, even if that nation is a theocracy governed by the Holy Sol Temple. Does it govern the entire world? Is there a one-world nation? No nations left anywhere?

Benimaru is such a likeable character that by extension he makes whatever this proto-nationalism advocates a positive thing, so I'm thinking the series doesn't see it as I do. I just don't know what it is that he wants to see happen. (probably because I wasn't paying close attention during most of the first season Embarassed)

The people of Benimaru's district kind of worship him instead of Sol. He and fire soldiers in his district don't do the prayer before killing fire people because everyone in that town is at ease with being destroyed by Benimaru, if they turn.
And the proto-national thing has to do with why his district looks and dresses in a more traditional Japanese fashion than the rest of the empire. I think they're traditionalists, or something like that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Traditional Japanese Nationalism vs. The Church makes sense in the context of Japan resisting Catholic missionaries for a good chunk of its history, doesn’t it?

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
, possibly fueling their power station with people (??). Add Joker and the Muslim Fire Brotherhood (or whatever they are) and it really seems like the trunk of the plot is getting obscured by all these branches.

Wow, it’s impressive that you caught that after episode 10! Kudos!

I also found this post on page 7:
Netero wrote:
I'm not quite sure why Emperor Raffles III should be a "most delightfully stupid name" when it has a regional connection through Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of colonial Singapore. Perhaps in this world his descendants also rule Tokyo.

Interesting connection! “Colonizers” and “The Church” are controlling the people’s views of history, religion, technology and government...

I really like the nuance that sincere believers—including clergy like Iris—are depicted as genuinely good people despite what evil conspiracies the Church of Sol may be hiding behind the scenes.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
I don't like Benimaru, mostly due to his vague "proto-nationalism" If he just wants to keep in touch with his cultural heritage I'd be ok with it. This is a world where most culture got turned to ash after all.
But like, the Tokyo empire, according to the opening, was created by Raffles and other survivors of humanity ending up there and building Amaterasu and such, so y'know,
basically survivors of a worldwide disaster fled to Japan and Benimaru doesn't seem to like that, he seems very "keep Japan Japanese". I just get the feeling that instead of being proud of his own culture, he detests other cultures, and that's just nationalism.
And what the f does proto-nationalism mean? Nationalists are already obsessed with the imaginary perfect past versions of their country were everything was "pure" and foregneirs didn't exist?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
, possibly fueling their power station with people (??).
Wow, it’s impressive that you caught that after episode 10! Kudos!
(In Juggernaut's Voice)Aww, shucks. Thankye kahndly though!
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
Joker 100% got raped by a pedophile. Crunchyroll translated "koshi wo agero" to "stand up straight" when it should have been "raise your hips". I personally think this deserved more outrage because jesus fudge. This show is just goofy, dumb fun and then wham! child rape! Complete with horrified screaming. If you think GoH ep 4 was tonal whiplash but this was ok idk what to tell you. I personally have (thankfully) never had any trauma like this but I imagine anyone who has might very well have that trauma triggered by this episode.
Like there's a time and place for examining the atrocities various religious intituitions have comitted but the show where volcanoes make you high and clothing magically betrays underage girls ain't it chief.
idk maybe i don't watch enough anime that features rape but I haven't felt this sick since that episode of SAO Alicization. Joker's scene was thankfully very short, so we could also see him get beat, his watch get beat, and his new nice family get very beat!
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:43 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Joker 100% got raped by a pedophile. Crunchyroll translated "koshi wo agero" to "stand up straight" when it should have been "raise your hips". I personally think this deserved more outrage because jesus fudge. This show is just goofy, dumb fun and then wham! child rape! Complete with horrified screaming. If you think GoH ep 4 was tonal whiplash but this was ok idk what to tell you. I personally have (thankfully) never had any trauma like this but I imagine anyone who has might very well have that trauma triggered by this episode.
Like there's a time and place for examining the atrocities various religious intituitions have comitted but the show where volcanoes make you high and clothing magically betrays underage girls ain't it chief.
idk maybe i don't watch enough anime that features rape but I haven't felt this sick since that episode of SAO Alicization. Joker's scene was thankfully very short, so we could also see him get beat, his watch get beat, and his new nice family get very beat!

The manga does get more serious after this point (still goofy though) so strap on, but I believe the implied rape was the worst of it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
S2 Ep13- Maybe it's the unlucky number to blame, but for as much as I like FF this season it just had to commit the sin of SAO. Most of the Ep three guys standing around talking all to say spoiler["you won't find much at the HST, look elsewhere"] and a couple of new reveals. As I have been pointing out elsewhere, there had to be several better ways to impart the knowledge than an exposition dump. Feels like a filler Ep due to that, but still looking forward to next week.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Licht didn't mention that he believes he's going to be killed after bringing Shinra in. Maybe to allow the plan to go through?
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I'm surprised Licht didn't mention that he believes he's going to be killed after bringing Shinra in. Maybe to allow the plan to go through?

?
He did. He even joked about it. I believe it was as he and shinra were walking with the guard into the facility.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
[quote="Ensaru64"]
yeehaw wrote:

If creators had to worry about somebody being triggered by some traumatic event in their lives, then absolutely nothing would ever be made. That said I suppose it is interesting to think about whether subject matter of this kind should be there in a series that is aimed at a young audience. The goofiness has nothing to do with it because since the start of this series where young children watch their mother getting horribly burned and exposed to Hell and the Devil this was always a series that suggested to me that some dark stuff is going to get covered here. Heck even Arthur's backstory is heavy stuff. Even with this recent theme of kids being abused as a care facility it looks like child-exploitation and terrible experiences happening to kids is a running theme in Fire Force.

The juxtaposition against wackiness in this case actually works to the show's benefit and it's been amazingly handled so far in my opinion, which is what makes the show interesting. It wouldn't be the first time entertainment can balance heavy subject matter with humor and have everything work out extraordinarily well, a famous example being the film 'Life is Beautiful.' There are many other works, even from India that deal with serious topics sprinkled amongst humor that are great and at one moment make you laugh at another make you sick and want to cry, and that's because thematically life itself is not just filled with drudgery but encompasses both good and bad things, happy and sad things.

So in that respect, I'd heavily disagree with you that Fire Force can't do it. I could do without the girls losing clothes for klutsy reasons, but that's just because I think it's grossly cliché at this point and Fire Force in such instances does it in a really lazy way regarding whatshername, and the show is so good it doesn't need it. If it wants to do that kind of 'fan service' there are plenty of other sensible natural ways where it already has and it should just stick to that formula.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
"In the name of the sun, I will punish you," from the Puppeteer is a Sailor Moon reference, I assume.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
This episode definitely felt a bit all over the place. Arthur seemed to teleport from the main group to Vulcan who seemed to still be driving towards that same group :/

HAL14 wrote:

?
He did. He even joked about it. I believe it was as he and shinra were walking with the guard into the facility.

Ah, I meant earlier, to the whole team when it might have prevented that plan, rather than when it was already underway
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I do have to respect Charon for following his beliefs to protect Shinra even when he's against him (even though it's ultimately for the white clad's own goals).

Anyone else surprised that there wasn't some bigger reaction when the moon got hit? I suppose it's more realistic the way it was depicted, but I definitely expected a second effect after the initial hit.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
^Well, the Moon is separated by about 384 thousand kilometers of space from the Earth so there will be no sound, shockwave or whatever. Besides the Moon has a bunch of craters so what's one more? Have to back up James that the writer seems to see abuse as normal and maybe even good (or at least funny and titillating as in the LLL) so what the hell?? If I enjoy FF it's in spite of the gross abuser pandering and I wish the writer would knock it off already.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 am Reply with quote
I did not like how the Haijima arc ended. Kurono was depicted as completely abusive. He does not have any positive qualities or nuance, but somehow his desire to beat up weak opponents is good for Nataku? I got the impression that they wanted to show that Shinra can’t save everyone with “talk-no-jutsu,” which is fine, but having “Uncle Reaper” talk Nataku down instead doesn’t work. I’d believe that the Puppeteer has more positive influence than Kurono because she seemed to care about kids, at least a little? But not Kurono. He should not be allowed near children.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17