• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:03 pm Reply with quote
And I'm back to agree that Wazukyan does indeed deserve death

How many cute little girls' lives are you planning to ruin? Keep poor Riko out of your twisted plans, jerk. Twisted Evil
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

Is next week the special for long episode?

From what I can gather by auto-translating statements on Twitter, next week there seems to not be an episode ( Sad ) but a special with the voice cast instead.
The week after, they show Episode 12, which is extra long and the final episode.
liloquy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, another great episode this week. Absolutely love Nanachi and Faputa's new looks! Lots of nice soundtracks in this episode, too. I will admit, though, that the moments in this episode hit harder in the manga (Belafu, Gabu). Really disappointed they haven't shown the Faputa / Gabu extra still Sad Don't think they will at this point, which is a shame.

I also liked how we finally see Riko exhausted from using Prushka - even though it's not stated outright. It's something they skipped over the first time she used Prushka.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

The stuff with Faputa continues to be great, but I thought some parts of the episode were a little weak. The reveal that Irumyuui saw Belaf as a father figure came out of left field and didn't feel genuine, since we barely saw the two interact. And Wazukyan's plan is full of plot holes and kind of ridiculous. I didn't mind that much tho. I'm here for Faputa, and as long as her story continues to be good, I won't complain too much. Also, I'm guessing she will be the next member to join the group. That'd be cool.
2Old2Care

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
It looks like the story is reaching the last book of the Manga. I wonder if the Anime will go off on its own, so that it can continue or wait until more books are written.

Last edited by 2Old2Care on Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:26 am Reply with quote
2Old2Care wrote:
It looks like the story is reaching the last book of the Manga. I wonder if the Anime will go off on its own, so that it can continue or wait until more books a written.

There's only one (hour long) final episode left, and there's enough left of this arc and its conclusion to fill it. Yes, third season will take a while to come out...

Everlasting Coconut wrote:
The reveal that Irumyuui saw Belaf as a father figure came out of left field and didn't feel genuine, since we barely saw the two interact.

The anime did leave out a few snippets, like Vueko and the blue-haired girl(pre-one-eyed form) having sex while being spied on by Irumyuui (actually, just one panel in the manga), and Belaf in general looking after the pair(Irumyuui and Vueko), one panel sees him bringing hot drinks for them, but waited outside to let them have their moment. And in general didn't delve that deeply into the close-knit interpersonal relations between the members of the Ganja aside the mains.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:13 pm Reply with quote
As good as this series is, my appreciation of it is made better by the care and depth that James brings to his reviews.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
"As Faputa and Gabu and Reg keep trying to make her see, Faputa can forge herself another path." I'm assuming the first Faputa in the quoted sentence is supposed to be Belaf.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:

And Wazukyan's plan is full of plot holes and kind of ridiculous. I didn't mind that much tho.

I'll say it again now that it's more or less been revealed, but I'm more confident than ever after seeing it animated that Wazukyan's "goal" as shown is not at all his goal.
-In episode 9 he never answers the question when Riko asks if he wants her to use an egg, instead Moogi asks him "aren't you going to deny it" which he doesn't do either.
-in episode 10 he states that there's "30 minutes left" and when Veuko asks him "until what" he clams up and says he can't say because he's a terrible liar (It seems to me that what he was waiting for was for Belaf to show up and give Faputa his memories)
-And in episode 11 the "Rikoville" that Nanachi supposes is Wazukyan's plan is just that, a supposition. Nobody ever confirms or denies it. Nanachi takes a guess as to what his goal is and it seems a lot of readers just went with that being true even with evidence to the contrary.

And furthermore spoiler[ 2 manga chapters after where this arc will almost certainly end Prushka and Riko are have a mind discussion about how "A whole lot of coincidences piled up to make Faputa join us, huh?" But how Wazukyan didn't seem like the type to leave exploring to someone else, so what was really going on? ]

It's my theory that Wazukyan's goal WAS exactly what has happened. To have Faputa break into the village, get Belaf's memories, and spoiler[ Go explore the Abyss with Wazukyan tagging along as perhaps some sort of presence in that 3rd egg that he wished on but is now part of Faputa]
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought the sudden horde of monsters was a bit contrived, but other than that, great episode.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

The anime did leave out a few snippets, like Vueko and the blue-haired girl(pre-one-eyed form) having sex while being spied on by Irumyuui (actually, just one panel in the manga), and Belaf in general looking after the pair(Irumyuui and Vueko), one panel sees him bringing hot drinks for them, but waited outside to let them have their moment. And in general didn't delve that deeply into the close-knit interpersonal relations between the members of the Ganja aside the mains.

Their name is Pakkoyan! A couple episodes back there was actually a moment where they were right next to the disguised Vueko, and definitely recognized her. It looked like they were trying to say something to her but were too shy. Of course the anime never showed their past relationship so no one was really going to notice this.

Covnam wrote:
I thought the sudden horde of monsters was a bit contrived, but other than that, great episode.

The wall has been blasted open for a while now, so I think the natural smells of the village have been spilling out, not to mention that of all the blood Faputa has been spilling.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:
"As Faputa and Gabu and Reg keep trying to make her see, Faputa can forge herself another path." I'm assuming the first Faputa in the quoted sentence is supposed to be Belaf.

You're right on, there! Fixed.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Aah, Pakkoyan... you really held Vueko dear. A lover's final act of kindness. Crying or Very sad (they were lovers in the manga)

Everyone got their wish, Wazukyan is finally dead and scattered ...too bad so is everyone else of the village.

At least Faputa got to share a brief moment with Vueko and talk about Irumyuui.

Hour went by in a flash. Thank you Kinema Citrus for a superb adaptation.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:40 pm Reply with quote
A wonderful final installment to this arc, gosh. Had tears well up a half-dozen times, I think. I'm glad they decided to make it an hour; cutting any of this into regular-length episodes likely would've diminished things. Manga readers and anime-only fans are now all basically on the same page(not a pun) since there are currently only a couple chapters past this point. Who knows what lies ahead? We'll all walk forward together. <3
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I expect none of ANN's reviewers who put Made in Abyss near the top for the season changed their minds after this final episode.

Like Gem-Bug, I'm glad they skipped a week and made this episode an hour long in order to fit all the development into one dramatic arc.

This story is brutal and uncompromising, which can be true of reality, too. Still, it leaves us with a glimmer of hope for these characters' futures.

Riko, Vueko, and Faputa shine in this episode. The closure between Vueko and Faputa was moving in the extreme.

spoiler[If I were choosing a thumbnail for this episode, it would be Faputa's stone memorial atop Vueko's grave.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16