• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Scan Site Says It Will Remove Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamen Ryter (Ichigo)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
japaoakira wrote:
Piracy on the Internet won't end. It's is actually impossible to trackdown and erase every scanlator or similar. I don't understand why the market doesn't adapt to our times and use another way maintain the authors. Look at the blog's and vlog's, they earn money just by being watched/read.
You, people who are happy because this great site is removing its manga, should be ashamed for being so antiquated and for not seeing the happiness this site has brought to so many people.
I live in Brazil, and just some mangas reach my country. Not even One Piece is published here anymore. YES, WE DON'T HAVE ONE PIECE.
And you don't know how sad this is.

and thats what it should be about. Happiness, and the giving and sharing therof, (if i can discard my masculinity for a hot mooshy sec.)
and errr. AWOO! SPARTANS, GIVE THEM NOTHING, BUT TAKE FROM THEM EVERYTHING! (back on. Smile ) nah really. aslong as it makes people happy, im on board.
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Cool, a lot of new members joined today. Wonder why?

Anyway, so One Manga is currently removing content from their website. At best, this will make it less convenient for some or most people to obtain what they want for free. I'm going to assume that is what a lot of publishers want. I mean seriously, they aren't stupid and they know they can't defeat piracy but they can make it less convenient to obtain.

Personal story spoiler[Reminds me of when I used to pirate NDS games. But than, the publishers/developers began doing some voodoo magic that made made it so that I had to wait longer for the pirated version or had to fix bugs or add codes and such. I didn't want to go through the hassle so I began buying.] I wonder if that was the main goal of the publishers.

Though I have this wishful optimistic thinking that they are about to unveil something grand like a legal site where you can read all the manga you want for free.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Kamen Ryter (Ichigo) wrote:
now man, i already don't trust you,
because no man would ever, i mean ever shy away from the word Bullshit, in favor of Bull- excretment.
I plan to stay out of this argument, but I will post my word on this.

Unless we want this thread to turn into the same thing we had during the whole "Anime is dead" discussion thread, swearing should be kept to a minimum and discussion on a whole should be kept civil. Although I'm not a mod, I rather not see intelligent people get banned for doing stupid things and letting their anger get ahead of their smarts. So saying an alternate word instead of a swear word isn't a bad thing in this case, trust or no trust.
Kamen Ryter (Ichigo)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
dude i can take one line from your posts and stretch out of context.
lool. cuttin down one tree an't gonna get you out of the forest.

publishers are money first, talent later. thats the real world, i accept it. but i dont have to like it. the artists provide the art, and the bussiness provide the marketing.
and a buisness's goal above all else is to make money, and eliminate that which hinders it. it aint pretty, its never moral, but it's never personal. it's bussiness, and i would probably do the same thing if i ran one. so i understand. but i don't like it. the post which you ripped that line from was merely observing their bussiness plan and admiring it.

no you were not asking for clarification. you wouldn't need it if you didn't rip one line out of a post i made, and then quite snidely ask a few questions in hope that id be foolish enough to awnser them. thats not what i said, and how you can take a line out of the context on which it was written and then try and formulate some sort of argument? interrogation? is beyond me.
so you may like my wings Mr. spider, but this fly is gonna stay out of your parlor if its all the same Razz
japaoakira

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The company that released it and many other manga went bankrupt because of problems with the authors or something like that... But manga here surely sells a lot.
Kamen Ryter (Ichigo)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
work tommorow,
so you're welcome to cut up my posts like ransom notes all you want well i'm asleep though. Very Happy
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
@Kamen Ryter (Ichigo)

Who are you replying to? Aura Ichadora? Are you replying to Aura Ichadora? All the user is asking for you to do is to keep it civil. The user didn't take one line of your post and stretch it out of context, Aura was simply using an example of your post where you were being uncivil and asking you to refrain from using profanity.

EDIT: Now I see, I didn't check the previous page. My mistake but you should really address the person you are typing to.
Kamen Ryter (Ichigo)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Nope
im @ ABCBTom
sorry, when your replying, it doesnt show page breaks.
he's back on page 15.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Kamen Ryter (Ichigo) wrote:
no you were not asking for clarification. you wouldn't need it if you didn't rip one line out of a post i made, and then quite snidely ask a few questions in hope that id be foolish enough to awnser them. thats not what i said, and how you can take a line out of the context on which it was written and then try and formulate some sort of argument? interrogation? is beyond me.

I could quote your entire post and still ask for more information. You said you were hoping for a letter from a major author or three, because in your experience, mangaka are pretty laid back and don't care. So I was uncertain if you were stating that all mangaka didn't care whether their work was given away, or not.

I'm glad we do agree that not all mangaka want their work given away online. In those situations where the original author does not want their work pirated online, what should happen? Does the author have the right to request their manga be taken down?
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
This has been going on for quite a while now... :S
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we do agree that not all mangaka want their work given away online. In those situations where the original author does not want their work pirated online, what should happen? Does the author have the right to request their manga be taken down?

Do they have the right to request their manga be taken down? Sure, they have the right. Nobody is arguing over whether or not something is illegal. But illegality to what end?

They can't really sue anyone. They are unable to show a loss of damages. The mangaka that is. In fact, there is a suggestion that even if they did attempt to calculate their own damages they might only be able to show that they have net benefited from widespread promotion of their manga.

Now the publishers are a different story. But I would place good money that many mangaka have only gotten increases in their paychecks per contract due to the rise in popularity that they would not have otherwise recieved.

Probably another reason the publishers don't like the scanlation sites.
Kamen Ryter (Ichigo)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
@ ABCBTom
im sure some care,
and hey if they wan't it down then take it down.
there are usualy two different types of artists.

the guy whos all "woah people like this? people are paying money? hey thats cool but as long as i got enough to keep doing this, thats really all i need. now the money is cool, and welcomed. but he's more amazed and glad a people are even bothering to use his stuff.

then theres the:
look what i have created. you should be greatfull that im doing this for you. you can have it... MAKE SURE YOU PAY FIRST. or else. i'll sue you. i might even stop. you wouldn't want that now would you. gimmie your money. because i deserve it. Artist. in the first case the money serves the Art, and in the second case the other way around.

mangakas usualy in my experience fall in the first category. some do fall in the second.

A good example of this is the whole nick simmons bleach thing. Tite Kubo said that he was more intrested in the fact that Gene Simmons son was a Mangaka rather then if he was tracing bleach. that straight chill, i mean the kid is blatantly stealing from him, and he's more intrested in the fact that he's a Mangaka.

also i think more of the reason too is that Mangakas are on tight deadlines. and its always so hectic that they Gotta be laid back. kinda if you have time to sweat the small things, you're not working hard enough. give it your best shot regardless and what happens happens. and you dont blame people if it ends. move on to the next story.

thats what i love about manga. and manga-kas. the story comes first, everything else comes after. and when the story ends they always say, "thanks for reading." never "thanks for buying." because they're glad they got that story out. because after they're long gone, those stories and lessons will still be around to make people laugh smile, gasp and cry. i think thats what it means to be any kind of artist.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The "piracy will never end" argument makes me laugh. So what, you expect the publishers to leave Onemanga and Mangafox alone just because of that? It's better for them to make piracy diffult so that casual manga readers who have no idea what the heck IRC is will run off to Borders.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
@Borgman

Totally agree with you Page One post. We are all a bunch of hypocrites, who'll watch fansubs and look down on scans, when we've sampled them at one point or another. I can honestly say, I'm a much more round fan through all of the unlicensed anime and manga I've checked out over the years.

I still recall, back in the day, when much anime was still stuck in the cyberpunk/sci-fi phase of poorness, finding manga that wasn't about that stuff was a blessing.

Overall, it may look like a positive move, but wouldn't be surprised if this does little has the opposite effect seeing sales dip further. We'll get to see just how much of an effect like One Manga has of readers buying decision.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The "piracy will never end" argument makes me laugh. So what, you expect the publishers to leave Onemanga and Mangafox alone just because of that? It's better for them to make piracy diffult so that casual manga readers who have no idea what the heck IRC is will run off to Borders.

You don't really believe that do you? You actually think the internet community lacks the sophistication to discover IRC?

Or you really think the people who enjoy reading online suddenly want a lot of manga volumes?

You can't make piracy difficult. You can kill a few pirates. But the only way you beat them is by doing what they do and THEN knocking them out. They provide a superior service ATM. And that will be the one that people want. Not because they want their manga free (although that was nice), but because they want their manga PERIOD.

You go into your local Borders and you don't find even half of the series you can find online. Unless your talking a manga like one of the WSJ ones - you're pretty much left looking at last year's stuff.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19