• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Now that we're picking daily reviews, please for the love of God vote for Dragon Quest.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Please vote for Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure and Waccha PriMagi for daily streaming reviews! Let’s spread the word about these two wonderful shows!

On it. I think the West needs to give these shows a bigger chance. I mean, both Pretty Cure and the Pretty series have well established fandoms, but still...
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:

Let's Make a Mug 2: Finally we can vote for it, please do, I'll shill it 'till the end of times. Despite being a touristy iyashikei anime, it treats the characters and its subject fairly and after 2 episodes (I haven't watched episode 3 yet), it looks like it's going to be even better than the first season.

Episode 3 - The girls visit a pottery museum. Wink spoiler[The show may also be getting a new character.]

I voted for Let’s Make a Mug Too, Two to (ahem), but doubt it makes the cut since it seems the majority of anime viewers in the USA find slice of life to be boring. Sad
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:

Takt Op. Destiny - borderline dropping this, style over substance, no surprise she was his sister.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that Cosette, Anna and Takt are siblings from. Cosette and Anna are sisters, Takt is their next door neighbor and is not related to the sisters.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Penrhos wrote:

Takt Op. Destiny - borderline dropping this, style over substance, no surprise she was his sister.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that Cosette, Anna and Takt are siblings from. Cosette and Anna are sisters, Takt is their next door neighbor and is not related to the sisters.

I was confused too until the character dynamics made it clear that Takt isn't related to them. I think a line from Cosette might have been mistranslated or not specific enough when she was talking about this.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Heike Story is a delight. It would probably be even better if I could just keep the characters straight, but everything else about it is downright lovely so far.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
Now that we're picking daily reviews, please for the love of God vote for Dragon Quest.

Wanted to second this above, but forgot. Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai is a much more charming show than it has any right to be; I actually found myself distantly tearing up on an episode or two, which is not at all something I associate with anime videogame adaptations. Certainly it deserves regular reviews more than most of the bottom-of-the-barrel seasonals.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
If you don't find yourself filled with unbridled joy and wonder when you watch this episode [of Ranking of Kings], then you are either a soulless machine that has been sent to infiltrate mankind to destroy it from within, or a cold-blooded psychopath.

See, the problem with this kind of statement is that it usually makes me either avoid the thing entirely, or find myself unable to enjoy it. I don't know if anyone else feels that way, but it doesn't seem like it, given how frequently people drop these tongue-in-cheek-but-half-serious "you either love this or have no soul" comments. Also kind of ironic since it seems the main appeal of Kings is its nuanced portrayal of disability and associated social stigmas/misunderstandings, and a common cause of not enjoying something that others expect you to is, y'know, depression. I'm definitely not speaking from experience or anything...

Anyway, the second episode of Sakugan was a lot better pacing-wise, though it left me wondering why the pilot was so overstuffed with content, since episode 2 hit many of the same story beats again (and more effectively). Great opening/ending themes, too.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:38 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
3ngag3 wrote:

Wanted to second this above, but forgot. Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai is a much more charming show than it has any right to be; I actually found myself distantly tearing up on an episode or two, which is not at all something I associate with anime videogame adaptations. Certainly it deserves regular reviews more than most of the bottom-of-the-barrel seasonals.

Wouldn't get your hopes up here. A title earning episode reviews mid-run after its earlier seasons didn't has happened before, but I don't think any of those cases involved a series which didn't earn enough votes for early seasons but later did earn enough votes.

Most of the titles I want to see reviewed seem like sure things, so the one I want to promote is one that I think could get passed over: Taisho Otome Fairy Tale. With episode 2 included, it's a surprisingly sweet story with clear potential for meaty character developments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:54 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:

Let's Make a Mug 2: Finally we can vote for it, please do, I'll shill it 'till the end of times. Despite being a touristy iyashikei anime, it treats the characters and its subject fairly and after 2 episodes (I haven't watched episode 3 yet), it looks like it's going to be even better than the first season.

Episode 3 - The girls visit a pottery museum. Wink spoiler[The show may also be getting a new character.]

I voted for Let’s Make a Mug Too, Two to (ahem), but doubt it makes the cut since it seems the majority of anime viewers in the USA find slice of life to be boring. Sad

One can only hope...
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
James Beckett wrote:
If you don't find yourself filled with unbridled joy and wonder when you watch this episode [of Ranking of Kings], then you are either a soulless machine that has been sent to infiltrate mankind to destroy it from within, or a cold-blooded psychopath.

See, the problem with this kind of statement is that it usually makes me either avoid the thing entirely, or find myself unable to enjoy it. I don't know if anyone else feels that way, but it doesn't seem like it, given how frequently people drop these tongue-in-cheek-but-half-serious "you either love this or have no soul" comments. Also kind of ironic since it seems the main appeal of Kings is its nuanced portrayal of disability and associated social stigmas/misunderstandings, and a common cause of not enjoying something that others expect you to is, y'know, depression. I'm definitely not speaking from experience or anything...

Yeah, I agree with you. This kind of comment is hurtful. Just let people have their unpopular opinions about anime and other forms of storytelling, yeesh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:

I think, if a person really has a passion for something, they will want to say this at least once in their life. It can be a hobby or whatever. I know I was always like this for a couple of things when I first got into my fandoms, and I felt this way about the stuff that got me into anime 20 some years ago. It's natural.

Mind you, it is also natural to cool a bit with time. Though I still have my Ghost in the Shell poster on the wall, it's in a storage room now. Wink
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
James Beckett wrote:

I think, if a person really has a passion for something, they will want to say this at least once in their life. It can be a hobby or whatever. I know I was always like this for a couple of things when I first got into my fandoms, and I felt this way about the stuff that got me into anime 20 some years ago. It's natural.

Mind you, it is also natural to cool a bit with time. Though I still have my Ghost in the Shell poster on the wall, it's in a storage room now. Wink

There is nothing wrong with being super passionate about something you like. Heaven knows I certainly am. I just don't think it's right to say things that are hurtful to others. As I've gotten older, I've learned to be a lot more considerate and not get into a big argument over differing interests (not that I'm saying you or James do that, I'm just talking about my personal experience).

I like to say that I really love something and highly recommend it, but without putting down others or their passions that aren't the same as mine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Strong agree.

On another note, I don't think I've ever met any disabled people who like to be called "differently abled".
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
3ngag3 wrote:

Wouldn't get your hopes up here. A title earning episode reviews mid-run after its earlier seasons didn't has happened before, but I don't think any of those cases involved a series which didn't earn enough votes for early seasons but later did earn enough votes.

Most of the titles I want to see reviewed seem like sure things, so the one I want to promote is one that I think could get passed over: Taisho Otome Fairy Tale. With episode 2 included, it's a surprisingly sweet story with clear potential for meaty character developments.

The only one I can think of where this has kinda happened is Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun and the reviews for it remained really popular during the second season run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17