• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Malevolent Spirits: Mononogatari (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:47 am Reply with quote
While I was disappointed I didn't get to see Hyoma whup Tenjitsu's smug, smack-talking butt, the compensation was that the battle wrapped up quickly enough that there was enough time to have a proper leaving taking. Hopefully, not a permanent leave taking, but that remains to be seen. It's a pet peeve of mine when a climatic battle in a final episode ends with, like, 5 minutes to go and the tidying up feels all rushed.

It was nice to see Botan's friends, again. Now that she's spoken for, I hope they find suitable partners for themselves.

While I hope we get more - and there is clearly more to get - I feel like we got a full story already. Hyoma went from a single-minded, tsukumogami-hating, anger machine bent on getting revenge to a dude with a more nuanced view who found away to harmonize with his own, um, door-knockers. That's a decent character arc. With him going off hand in hand with Botan at the end, I have no problem projecting forward in time to them as a married couple with a few yard apes.

I'm rating this part Good, which is a bit of a step down the first season's Very Good. It's not that the show did anything particularly wrong, imo, but I guess with acclimatizing to this world, I didn't experience the same degree of new discoveries that made the first season so enjoyable for me.

And finally, Gina... Greta Garbo? The Perils of Pauline? Your references are ANCIENT! Is it possible that you are... *gasp!* ... as old as I am??? Wink
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:05 am Reply with quote
Kushige actually speaking was almost a jump scare for me. I was expecting him to pass a note, or have someone interpret him or something, so I was completely unprepared.

I do wish that Hyoma's door-pull upgrade/level up was more interesting than a big explosive projectile. It seems exceptionally plain, and I hope that there is more to it that we just didn't get a chance to see yet.

Zohei not telling Hyoma about the umbrella using his brother's shape seems a really questionable idea in hindsight. I mean, I understand the rationale- it would only foster Hyoma's hatred even further. But...the kid was going to keep searching for the umbrella, and finding him in that shape would probably have been a crippling surprise in most circumstances.

Quote:
One thing I liked about this series was that Hyoma and Botan each grew because of the other, rather than having one wounded soul saved by the love of a rescuer. Nice to have a couple on equal footing in that regard

Absolutely. Having them save, anchor, inspire and improve each other in meaningful ways makes them an incredibly easy couple to root for. The narration at the beginning of the season, by memory, emphasized this as a love story first and foremost- and yeah, that tracks. This relationship is the core of the story, and its a lot of why I've enjoyed the past season.

Having said that...I was amused and slightly frustrated when Botan went into the whole "not my boyfriend" bit. I mean, your parental figures announced him as their son-in-law...and its not like they have any other kids. She could probably have ended with dodging the question, rather than outright denying. But I freely admit to pretty severe nitpicking in that regard.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And finally, Gina... Greta Garbo? The Perils of Pauline? Your references are ANCIENT! Is it possible that you are... *gasp!* ... as old as I am??? Wink

I dunno. I am an old, so maybe. But one doesn't need to be contemporary with the Garbo film (Anna Christie, 1930 (I'm not that old)), or the 1984 film with that title to get that reference, I don't think? As for Pauline, I was actually thinking of Donkey Kong, back when Mario was still known as Jumpman, before he dumped her and started rescuing Princess Peach. Of course, she's obviously named for the silent movie heroine, so I picked her over Peach for the double reference.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:57 am Reply with quote
I am a bit late to the party, but I have seen all episodes now. It was an exciting season with plenty of action and a few solid calm slice of life-ish episodes to cool down with. We got more insight into a lot of characters, some of them have grown and we know way more about the umbrella killer (though we may actually have more new questions than answers now). My one point of annoyance is Hyoma kind of being a jobber. He trains hard and people keep saying that he is growing, but he honestly seems the weakest out of the gang. His new move is solid and yet he still fights by rushing predictably at enemies and gets his ass kicked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16