• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how to feel about the newest episode (really liked the new general episode, for a second I thought it was going to be revealed he was nanashi’s father. While his backstory was a bit cliche, I did like how the episode resolved itself with Rei even letting him go peacefully to hell but still determined to get revenge on the nine tail and Kitarō having to declare to enma that he will take Rei down to get back Nue’s soul).

On the one hand, really creepy and spooky! The curse at first seemed like it was similar to Green Day from Vento Aureo but then I realized it actually is making the body suck into itself. The ore inside the stone also looked similar to cinnabar, which is known for storing mercury inside of it, so while it was wither from outer space or just otherworldly, it makes me wonder if it was supposed to have some sort of connection.

On the other hand...I don’t really like the message. Respecting your family duty and appreciating what your family has done for you is one thing, but the show failed in two respects:

1. Kitaro talks about how Kento’s family was really strict...except it never shows them being that way. Worst that happens is that Grandpa tells Kento it’s his destiny to be a guardian. So the bit where Kento feels a new purpose for his duty falls flat.

2. Taitanbo is holding the family hostage. It’s not some benevolent god, or sealing away an evil...it’s an asshole god that set a bunch of edicts that everyone has to play ball by or else. Now the edicts aren’t terrible on paper (unless you want to take a trip for more than 4 days), but forcing a family to do it (and the town is an additional enforcer on this as they come straight for Kento’s dad) is cruel especially since some factors are beyond their control. Like what if a developer paid some gangsters to bust the stone up? Well you better go tangle with them or your family is dead.

Oh, you want your kid to be free of praying to a stone. Well that kid can go die! His dad was only thinking about it an Kento almost died as a result.

And if the one guy was correct and Taitanbo is from another world, then it’s an alien god who invaded and is plaguing the spot it invaded. It’s not a spirit defending it’s old home or a yokai protecting the environment, it’s a little prick who is lording over people with a curse. Kitaro should be finding a way to banish it, not let it keep having its way.

Interestingly the first thing I found in regards to Taitanbo is a Toei animated film where Taitanbo was a friendly giant that helped Susanoo fight Orochi.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Episode 72 and I'd say it is #3 on my list after Episodes 7 and 20. What a treat.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
^That was definitely a fun episode and proved again that Neko-musume is best girl. Even Mana agrees! Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
Wally Kabedon! I actually said it before he did. Laughing

I liked the sweet smooch Neko gave Mana. And Kitaro in love was pretty smooth with the lines, despite the goofy face. Leave it to Rat Man to turn a potential date into a solicitation offense.

I wonder what happened to the guys lost in the woods?

Is it just me, or was this an especially colorful episode? Everything just seemed abnormally saturated, which I guess could be an intentional metaphor for the euphoria of new love.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
I really fell behind on this show for a while, so I've been catching up this week. We've had a strong run of episodes recently! The instagram episode was one of the most biting social commentary pieces the show has had yet; the new journey through hell story was incredibly spooky, yet delightfully heartwarming in the end; the third general brought the main arc back into play and teased about the history (and future?) of our cast so far; and that last episode was a sweet and funny spotlight for Catgirl, who I really hope actually gets to confess to Kitaro eventually (I'm guessing that's never really happened in the franchise before, so I won't expect it; it'd sure be nice!).
I felt pretty bad for Mana, Kitaro and Catgirl after those two episodes in Tottori. Between the cult fiasco and that tragic Shinigami escapade, I'm not sure how relaxing their vacation ended up being.

At this point, it's definitely feeling like the main arc is getting less attention than the Nanashi arc did. With one general to go, now, I wonder how many episodes of content this arc has left. Then again, we don't really know what Rei plans to do with his yokai powers, do we? Rei could easily just work with Kitaro to send the generals to hell, what does he intend to do with the yokai instead?

...And I guess that "Backbeard is returning" episode amounted to nothing by now. Too bad, I wanted to see more of Agnes again.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
At this point, it's definitely feeling like the main arc is getting less attention than the Nanashi arc did. With one general to go, now, I wonder how many episodes of content this arc has left.

...And I guess that "Backbeard is returning" episode amounted to nothing by now. Too bad, I wanted to see more of Agnes again.

spoiler[Episodes 74 and 75 deal with the last general and the cour actually ends with 75, so there's a decent chance they're wrapping up the arc and move on to something else, like Backbeard.]

Honestly, I don't mind that they're not giving this arc much attention. Rei isn't interesting enough to carry it and the lack of a scary villain like Nanashi and Backbeard hurts it as well.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I guess with the stakes of this arc being very personal from the start (Catgirl's life - and Kitaro's - in exchange for the generals), I was hoping to see more impactful episodes out of it. Maybe that potential still exists, though, before the cour ends.
Cab329

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:11 am Reply with quote
Newest episode was interesting. Rei kidnapping Tofu Kozo and then absorbing most of the Kitaro’s friends really made me not like him. The problem is that his backstory fell flat for me yes, having your village burn down is horrible but the delivery just didn’T Work for me. I found Agnes’ backstory a lot more impactful.

However, the nine tails is a pretty interesting villain. The others were content with just fulfilling their past desires but she has one hell (pun not intended) of a plan. The fact she is willing to destroy Japan just as a part of her plan (and while the show only mentions Japan being in danger, lets be honest, once the attacks start, the world will be plunged into war since “I was mind controlled” ain’t gonna ease tensions) and even takes Enma out of the picture is pretty hardcore.

I also like how Kitaro being absorbed into the stone if he failed wasn’t just a devil’s bargain: they actually need souls to maintain an important function of the underworld (makes me feel bad for the third general since that means he will never find peace)

I will be interested to see how it all ends since unless they can go straight to the underworld with a portal, they’ll be stuck fighting a duplicate which Can infinitely regenerate. Maybe the third general will mess with her control. Also, Rei might die. The souls have to get out of him and the preview made him look not too great.

Of course, eve once this wraps up, we still need to find out who let the generals loose.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:
Of course, eve once this wraps up, we still need to find out who let the generals loose.

I've wondered what they were going to do with the remaining twenty-five episodes or so. This is plausible suggestion.

I was impressed at how open everyone about how Mana "killed" Neko-musume. Seems like they pussy-footed around that gruesome fact for quite a while now. Of course, Neko's revival made this less horrible for Mana than it might have been, but now we know that Neko is not fully back in form.

The ANN catalog entry only shows Tamamo-no-Mae (so superbly voiced by veteran Tanaka Atsuko) appearing in this and the next episode. Perhaps that will be proven untrue next week, otherwise the generals arc itself must be coming to an end.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Cab329 wrote:

I've wondered what they were going to do with the remaining twenty-five episodes or so. This is plausible suggestion.

Nope, looks like the generals arc ends next week unless Nurarihyon is behind their escape.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-09-25/gegege-no-kitaro-anime-enters-final-nurarihyon-arc-on-october-6/.151498
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that episode escalated quickly. A lot of stakes are up now on all fronts, with no clear opening. I suspect Mana and Neko will have to attempt something to balance the odds.

I'd honestly like to see more about the fact that Mana killed Neko. In another show I wouldn't expect it, but Kitaro doesn't shy away from heavy topics, and it would be interesting to get more depth on Mana's feelings on the subject, or how the yokai community regards her for it.

... And how did Rei know about Kitaro's deal?
Cab329

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
That was a really good finale and I like how they pulled in everyone for the finale. Also, kudos to Ratman for being pretty badass for once and stopping an international war with farts and blackmail.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Ratman steps up to the plate at the most unexpected of times! Seeing Agnes and Adele brought in to help was very satisfying too.
On the other hand, some aspects seemed resolved rather quickly. Why did Tamamoe need to leave just to fight three un-posessed underworld guards? Why did Rei envision his sister begging him to relent? It was a good episode overall, but I thought some details felt rushed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote
Excellent episode. I really liked the way they used Kitaro's geta clip-clop in this. Very effective! And I like Ibukimaru, so I was happy to see him back.

But I laughed out loud when Catgirl slapped Kitaro so hard she knocked Daddy Eyeball clean out of his hair. A feat all the previous battles with Rei and Kitsune could not achieve! Very Happy
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But I laughed out loud when Catgirl slapped Kitaro so hard she knocked Daddy Eyeball clean out of his hair. A feat all the previous battles with Rei and Kitsune could not achieve! Very Happy

I thought the slap was one of the most unexpected and dramatic moments in this series in quite some time. Though Neko-musume accuses Kitarou of hiding his feelings, she keeps hers in check most of the time as well. This was the first real burst of emotion we've seen from Neko in months.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 20