• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Oi, I was looking forward to buying Kanon, since the sub group I liked took forever and I never got a chance to download all of it.

*sigh*

Monster in a box wrote:
Why couldn't it have been Funimation instead!? I don't own a single DVD by them!

*sigh again*
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:

Why couldn't it have been Funimation instead!? I don't own a single DVD by them!

Really? It seems like 80% of the stuff I buy is FUNi these days.

Oh yeah, don't be such a prick.
Kuyukly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
I've been working so hard lately to ensure that the industry I respect the most survives. If it goes down now, I don't know what I'll do. Anime cry

But I'm an idealist. I'm not going to get all jaded, but I'm not giving up. There is a chance this is all in preparation for a HUGE SURPRISE for us, and as long as that remains a possibility, I'm not giving up.

I WANT MY KANON DUB DAMNIT.
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
Kuyukly wrote:
I've been working so hard lately to ensure that the industry I respect the most survives. If it goes down now, I don't know what I'll do. Anime cry

But I'm an idealist. I'm not going to get all jaded, but I'm not giving up. There is a chance this is all in preparation for a GREAT HUGE SURPRISE for us, and as long as that remains a possibility, I'm not giving up.

I WANT MY KANON DUB DAMNIT.

Please rephrase that to state a GOOD surprise, as I have done *superstitious*
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
God forbid I make a joke. *sigh*

*sigh*

*sigh*

See how annoying that is? I just got here, and I don't feel like sifting through 18 pages. If I missed something that says for sure that ADV is going to pull through, great. Show me. If not, things aren't looking good, and I'm entitled to my pessimism.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
Settle down folks, we're all friends here.
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
God forbid I make a joke. *sigh*

The problem is that too many people seriously have the mindset you "joked" about.

That aside, nobody, especially not ADV, is laughing.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
Alright, I'll grant you that. I don't wish any company dead, it's just that I don't own, or have any major plans to own anything Funi is putting out. So if they went out, it would effect me substantially less.
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
It may not be the best thing to do, but nowadays, I buy box sets more often than individual discs. I'm currently only buying about 3 shows on individual discs, School Rumble, Witchblade, and NHK, which is why this news is upsetting me so much.
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Alright, I'll grant you that. I don't wish any company dead, it's just that I don't own, or have any major plans to own anything Funi is putting out. So if they went out, it would effect me substantially less.

I see. So you weren't joking.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
KamenRiderFaiz555 wrote:

I know it wouldn't be a picnic, I don't expect it to be the easiest thing in the world. I know that it will be difficult if I decide to go with him. But I'm willing to try, not for the anime, but because I want a change.

Go for it. A new experience you can look back on and an opportunity is awaiting. Jump in and good luck!
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Monster in a box wrote:

I see. So you weren't joking.

I see. So you are as argumentative as your initial response lead me to believe.

Yes, I was being entirely serious. I want Funimation to die just because I'm not buying anything by them. You caught me.
The World We Know

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone - I have a couple questions:

Does anyone know if any of these titles have actually not been released on schedule yet? Or is it too early to determine?

I've been waiting to buy the next volume of Kanon, which comes out in early February...of course, I'm wondering if it'll be available at all. Have any of the affected titles missed a release date yet?

Also, I noticed that many online retailers did not have the first volume of Kanon in stock on its release date (I was able to find it at the second Best Buy I visited) - could this have been a foreshadowing of ADV's decision to cut back on titles?
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
The World We Know wrote:
Hi everyone - I have a couple questions:

Does anyone know if any of these titles have actually not been released on schedule yet? Or is it too early to determine?

I've been waiting to buy the next volume of Kanon, which comes out in early February...of course, I'm wondering if it'll be available at all. Have any of the affected titles missed a release date yet?

I would say it's too early to determine. The last ADV titles released were last Tuesday when Venus Versus Virus v2 and Xenosaga v3 were released, and Amazon lists them both as "in stock" so I assume they shipped.

We may find out something either when ADV says something or next Tuesday when Devil May Cry v1 and Magikano v2 are scheduled to be released.

The World We Know wrote:
Also, I noticed that many online retailers did not have the first volume of Kanon in stock on its release date (I was able to find it at the second Best Buy I visited) - could this have been a foreshadowing of ADV's decision to cut back on titles?

Well, I have a couple theories about the release date thing for the Kanon v1 DVDs. The first was that it's release date was Jan 1, which I wouldn't think would be the most convenient release date. Also, I think they actually released it early, so it's possible that online retailers sold out of their stock, even before the official release date. I know I got my copy before the official release date.

As for the Best Buy thing, I would think that not seeing Kanon in the store is more of a function of the store not buying copies of it (or selling out their copies of it) than ADV not selling it to them.
The World We Know

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
I would say it's too early to determine. The last ADV titles released were last Tuesday when Venus Versus Virus v2 and Xenosaga v3 were released, and Amazon lists them both as "in stock" so I assume they shipped.

We may find out something either when ADV says something or next Tuesday when Devil May Cry v1 and Magikano v2 are scheduled to be released.

Well, I have a couple theories about the release date thing for the Kanon v1 DVDs. The first was that it's release date was Jan 1, which I wouldn't think would be the most convenient release date. Also, I think they actually released it early, so it's possible that online retailers sold out of their stock, even before the official release date. I know I got my copy before the official release date.

As for the Best Buy thing, I would think that not seeing Kanon in the store is more of a function of the store not buying copies of it (or selling out their copies of it) than ADV not selling it to them.

That all makes sense to me...thanks for the clarification.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20