• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - Industry roundtable: Fansubs - The Death of Anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
In this day in age some people get rewarded for being bad Very Happy I mean look at crunchyroll gettin 4 mill despite its an illegal site
The mind boggles at what precedent that has set.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
different2 wrote:
After several hours/days of reading I finally read all 17 pages of rants. Lots of distractions in between though..

Anyways what disgusts me is the people acting as if they are better than everyone else because they don't watch fansubbed stuff. You have people asking if it's good or bad and whats worse is you have people actually telling them that they are good/bad!

It's like this is 16th centurary and you are the inqusition condeming people to hell because they watched a few fansubs without paying!

Whats the difference between between watching a fansub or borrowing the dvd from a friend?

Honestly I don't even know if renting a dvd from a rental place, such as netflix, rentanime, or blockbuster actually helps the anime business,(someone find out please with facts and papers I can read for myself) and if it does, it sure doesnt help as much as actually buying them. So everyone who feels proud because they either rented them or borrowed from a friend should feel just as bad!

Another thing I wanted to point out, whats the difference between fansubbers and library's. People rent books from librarys and any money the library gets sure doesn't go to the original writer. Dvd's and books are not really that much different entertainment wise. Just because you enjoyed a book from a library, I actually know a library here where you can rent anime and manga(awesome huh?). Pasadena Public Library for those living in southern california. That's for free btw! So why arent you angry at them?
Pasadena city library anime

The problem with fansubbers is that they fansub the dvd rips right? While thats true, someone intially buys those dvds, same is true with your friends and with library's. There is no one site which you could download dvd rips from for free, it's a great many fan subbing groups. So either be mad at everyone who rents dvds or be mad at no one.

Also the fansubs on shows not yet out yet on dvd is also not a problem. That should never be a problem. Those once shown on public tv and just because someone is taking their time to show them to the rest of the world does not make it criminal.

What the real problem here is advertizing. Anime doesn't have that much big of a following. So I say let fansubbers stay, because right now anime is still spreading on word of mouth. And it's doing quite well for spreading on only word of mouth. Fansubbers is a key aspect to your advertizing and without them, then I'm 100% sure anime would be dead.

You call fansubbers a curse? I call them a blessing.
I fully agree with you and rental places are no better.Same with games,places like Gamestop are not helping the industry as well.I would also say more than half this site would not exist without fansubs.

I am not one of them,but moralist's and Dub fans inhabit this site.Stick around,there will be plenty of debates to come.
Kireek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ok my anime club (which i also go to) is currently halfway thru gurenn lagann are we breaking the law?? I think its licensed now

soryy bout all these qustions just want a better understanding.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Ok my anime club (which i also go to) is currently halfway thru gurenn lagann are we breaking the law?? I think its licensed now

soryy bout all these questions just want a better understanding.

You all ways were braking the law even if the title is not licensed in the US the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works makes all Japanese copyrights valid in the US and vise versa.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
different2 wrote:
It's like this is 16th centurary and you are the inqusition condeming people to hell because they watched a few fansubs without paying!

Yes, because reminding people that they have an ethical obligation to source anime legally is exactly the same as burning people to death for heresy. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Whats the difference between between watching a fansub or borrowing the dvd from a friend?

You don't understand how one person paying for something and sharing it with a handful of friends is different from one person possibly paying for something and sharing it with millions of anonymous strangers?

Quote:
Honestly I don't even know if renting a dvd from a rental place, such as netflix, rentanime, or blockbuster actually helps the anime business

Those companies have to buy their DVDs and they buy them for a much higher price than the man or woman in the street. So, yes, they help the anime industry.

Quote:
Another thing I wanted to point out, whats the difference between fansubbers and library's. People rent books from librarys and any money the library gets sure doesn't go to the original writer.

Speaking as someone who works for a library service, I can assure you that libraries have to pay for their books and DVDs. The borrower doesn't have to pay for it because the library service has already done so on their behalf. What did you think? That everything in public libraries was stolen?
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Kireek wrote:

You all ways were braking the law even if the title is not licensed in the US the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works makes all Japanese copyrights valid in the US and vise versa.

If you're going to spout lies and fallacies, at least try to use good grammer and spelling. Rolling Eyes

Now, with all due respect, you're full of crap. The only way they'd be breaking the law is if the fansubs their using are in fact DVD rips. However, all fansubs I know of are TV broadcasts. In no way is it illegal to watch a broadcast of a foreign show, whether live or taped. That what separates us from the third-world.

Consider your ideas debunked.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
jsieczka wrote:
Kireek wrote:

If you're going to spout lies and fallacies, at least try to use good grammer and spelling. Rolling Eyes

Now, with all due respect, you're full of crap. The only way they'd be breaking the law is if the fansubs their using are in fact DVD rips. However, all fansubs I know of are TV broadcasts. In no way is it illegal to watch a broadcast of a foreign show, whether live or taped. That what separates us from the third-world.

Try again read 17 U.S.C. § 106(3), 17 U.S.C. § 110(1),17 U.S.C. § 108, and mostly 17 U.S.C. §§ 601-603 of the UCC here is the last passage:
importation into the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title, of copies or phonorecords of a work that have been acquired outside the United States is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies or phonorecords under section 106, actionable under section 501,” 17 U.S.C. § 602(a).
Under the private use provision permits reproduction for personal, family, quotations (including pictorial quotations), and translations for certain classes of works this last one requires a professor to be present and leading an educational discussion.
For more information read the UCC or at least read http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-805Fall-2005/F9D805F8-1233-4A02-BF4F-4BFA5C9FBFA5/0/prog_against_law.pdf it is a law students paper on fansubing.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
GaryPotter wrote:
jsieczka wrote:
Kireek wrote:

Try again read 17 U.S.C. § 106(3), 17 U.S.C. § 110(1),17 U.S.C. § 108, and mostly 17 U.S.C. §§ 601-603 of the UCC here is the last passage:
importation into the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title, of copies or phonorecords of a work that have been acquired outside the United States is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies or phonorecords under section 106, actionable under section 501,” 17 U.S.C. § 602(a).
Under the private use provision permits reproduction for personal, family, quotations (including pictorial quotations), and translations for certain classes of works this last one requires a professor to be present and leading an educational discussion.
For more information reed the UCC or at least read http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-805Fall-2005/F9D805F8-1233-4A02-BF4F-4BFA5C9FBFA5/0/prog_against_law.pdf it is a law students paper on fansubing.

Nice c&p job there. However, no one is importing anything.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
jsieczka wrote:
Kireek wrote:

Last time I checked, TV broadcasts are copyrighted as well. Which means you can indeed watch them and record them for later viewing by yourself, or family, but not then turn round and allow the rest of the world to view it at their pleasure as well, not without the direct expressed permission of the original broadcaster. Also the last time I checked Japan is not a third world nation. Wink
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
different2 wrote:
If you don't know the obvious answer to this by now you either have everything given to you, or are too young to understand the work ethic, or both. Especially if you're "disgusted" that some people refuse to break the law. Rolling Eyes

So having a friend who is wealthy, or coming from a wealthy home, automatically means you have a work ethic? There are all kinds of reasons some people can afford things that others cannot that say nothing about character. There are many people who can borrow dvds and others who cannot because they don't have anyone to borrow from.

The differences are not that large to the receiving individual (they are of course very large to the one giving).

moomintroll wrote:

Yes, because reminding people that they have an ethical obligation to source anime legally is exactly the same as burning people to death for heresy. Rolling Eyes

I would exchange the word ethical for the word legal. It is your opinion that it is unethical to do something illegal, but it is not a fact that everything that is illegal is unethical, or that everything that is legal is likewise ethical.

moomintroll wrote:

You don't understand how one person paying for something and sharing it with a handful of friends is different from one person possibly paying for something and sharing it with millions of anonymous strangers?

Yes I'll admit that they are vastly different. However even in the case of one person sharing with a handful, I don't think it's necessarily ethical for someone not to buy. If they otherwise would buy if they did not have the advantage of having a friend, and they value anime a great deal, to not support it solely because of a friend would be no less selfish than the anonymous stranger.

If you think it is less selfish, please explain why it is. Either way the end result is that the "stranger" or the "friend" is not paying.

I would still shy away from putting this in terms of ethical obligations. I'd say this is more of a personal obligation. If you want something to continue, and you aren't supporting it (and have the ability to do so), then you are a fool. That is true regardless of whether your source is legal or illegal.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:

Nice c&p job there. However, no one is importing anything.

Comm. Law definition of Importation: The act of bringing goods and merchandise into the United States from a foreign country. Surported by United States v. Vowell 9 U.S. (5 Cranch) 368 (1809), Arnold v. United States, 13 U.S. (9 Cranch) 104 (1815), The St. Lawrence, 13 U.S. (9 Cranch) 120 (1815), Found in The International Law of John Marshall: A Study of First Principles By Benjamin Munn Ziegler, required reading for anyone who studied international business. So yes you are importing by means of the internet. How else would it get here if not by importation? If we were receiving the broadcast signal from Japan you would have a case, but not a recorded broadcast transmitted via the internet.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

...WTF?!?

Honestly what purpose does this phrase serve?

My feelings toward your post. That should've been quite obvious.

Quote:

You're whining about people who actually contribute don't do enough, and then say that we have to do more to compensate for the lazy f*cks out there who don't want to pay for it? Are you friggin kidding me??!

Xanas wrote:

When was I "whining"? If you care about something a lot, then you will do what is necessary to support it, regardless of what others are or are not doing. And yes, if that means "compensating" then you'll do that as well. I'm sorry but you are naive if you think prosecution or attorneys are going to win the day for media companies. That will lose more money than it will ever gain. If you want to support a cause support it, and stop trying to figure out ways to force other people.

If you want to convince other people, I have no problems with that. But you will fail otherwise.

First off, I've been supporting anime for years, before I've even registered on ANN. It doesn't really make a difference.

However, you're stating that people who buy anime should buy more, and honestly, I don't think any budget in my lifetime will pay for 10,000+ people. Individuals have different tastes, and your comment is very vague and illogical, and won't ever, ever work.

Not only that, you're making it sound like people who do watch fansubs don't necessarily care about it all, and doesn't matter if it destroys the industry. It's like fleas on a dog, they take what they want and move on, not caring about the damage in the process. They just want it because it's "there."

Some don't even know what a license really does, and any show that is licensed is a BAD thing, some groups are pulling anti-license groups (which probably will be looked over) to have a series unlicensed and stay in the country so it can be there to watch for "free."

As far as anyone is concerned, educating and convincing are two different things. Kind of like educating people about Safe sex, rather than convincing people to stay abstinent.

Sorry, that's the best example I can do. I can explain to someone else my beliefs, and they explain to me theirs. We can always agree to disagree and move on.

And my opinion is, that yes, they should make changes, but the industry to me, is becoming a slave drive. -_-;
On a side note, I never mentioned anything about lawyers or attorneys or any such things, really. I don't know where that came
from. But I can tell you that I'm definitely not as naive as you are.

I can tell you that you're not even close to what I'm thinking, though. Anime smile I don't know if I can explain it, you'd just probably think I'm trying to "convince" you to lean the other way or something.

Xanas wrote:

I never said, not even once, that I thought that other people should be doing nothing. I said everyone should be doing more. To support something less than you value it is foolish. Nothing can continue if even those who care about it decide to do nothing.

But you did say only people who can pay more should be doing something. Nothing else. But I will say the rest of that post didn't make sense to me whatsoever, sorry...It seemed somewhat contradicting, I'll come back to that eventually.

Quote:
-
But seriously...$2.00 is NOT expensive at all. Music is sold for $1.99 a song and it only lasts for what, 5 minutes? A $1.99 episode isn't expensive, and there ARE ways to pay without actually owning a credit card.

As for payment, no other method is particularly accessible to the group I was referring to. And isn't it still 0.99 a song? Also keep in mind that while a song is 5 minutes, it's replayability is much much higher. I don't think I've met a single person who watches the same movie nearly as many times as they listen to the same song. I know there are vast differences in the cost of production as well, which makes it necessary for video to cost more, but they aren't really directly equatable like that. [/quote]

Thanks for correcting me there. I just bought an mp3 a few weeks ago, Apples in Stereo.

Regardless, but it's still as cheap as hell. Replay is in the eyes of the beholder indeed. I've probably watched Rush Hour a billion times ever since I got the DVD. Though you can still burn that movie to a DVD and still watch it whenever you want. Even give it away to a friend. $50 for a boxed set isn't really expensive, I live in NY and prices are frigging high right now.
Xanas wrote:

If I were to do that I'd probably just let them have their own account and put my credit card on it, and for savvy parents that's probably ok. But they also have to care about buying stuff like this and generally people are going to watch a lot more than what they can afford. It's very unlikely the kids I'm talking about are only watching 1 series (26 for 13 ep or 52 for 26 ep). If it's 2 or 3 series, it gets expensive pretty fast.

Savvy? What are you implying..?
I'm wondering what you know about children and their pattern on watching shows on the internet, because I think that's going overboard. As far as teenagers, however, I'd probably tell my kid to start earning cash, like with chores or something...because at this rate it's really getting ridiculous.

-_-; gosh, I'll never want to spoil my kids.

Xanas wrote:

I buy DVDs, and while I like digital (I encode all of my DVDs and put them on a hard drive), I wouldn't want the downloadables for multiple reasons. In theory I think the download per episode could work for me, but it's "theory" because they don't make dual audio encodes, and their quality is less with a higher bitrate than I can do myself.

Then again, some people think dubs are the ultimate evil. They're already saying that about not paying for a dual audio DVD, but in terms of cost, it wouldn't make sense to do 2 separate ones. -_-;

Xanas wrote:

I am not saying pay per download is bad, just that it's not good for what I think most are looking for. Think of it this way. Why do so many more people buy American TV than anime? The answer is simple. So many more people have seen the shows, and so many more are interested.

Doesn't this really go for any country and foreign counterparts? Sorry, crossing that one out.

Xanas wrote:

Anime can't even get the interest of most people to do the initial viewing, much less purchase. The problem is not that the initial viewing is free for some, the problem is that there is little interest*. That's why those who care have to do more than they are doing. I think monetizing initial viewing with subscriptions is a fine idea, but you can't expect to ever get everyone.

(*I'm talking about relative interest among a group who has a lot of money. I'm not saying anime's niche audience isn't significant).

I don't have a lot of money, and I dislike the idea of a subscription service. *shrugs.* I just buy things when I can, I guess personally, I'm just not like the rest of the world here. xD trust me, I have some money to purchase anime, I don't make a large income, and I'm not into the popular anime like many are into now, fansubs or no fansubs. I wonder what percent that fits me into, then.
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
As others have noted, rental services and libraries have to purchase the initial copy. On top of that, if you want to rent anything else, you eventually have to return the item; you don't have a permanent copy sitting on your HD.

renvi wrote:
And no, just no on renting DVDs. I've looked, and they are all anime that are either old, or do not interest me at all.

Personally, this is and "I'd buy stuff if the companies ever released anything good" are my favorite excuses. People, if you're spending thousands of hours watching hundreds of anime series and you can only name a tiny handful worthy of your almighty monetary contributions, perhaps you should look into another hobby. Wink
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
1) I think you are taking the comments about paying more personally, as if I'm saying you personally should pay more, when I didn't say that
2) You talk about the damage caused by 10000+ not paying compared to the one paying more.. but this isn't accurate. 10000+ per person who doesn't pay is not even close to a valid ratio. Even if there are that many downloaders per paying person, there is no way you can argue that that many people would even be willing to pay if they had to.
3) I really don't see where I was illogical, and you didn't really explain that but I agree that we don't see eye to eye and probably never will.

Quote:

Feelings? I don't think they are useful here honestly. You talk about education and logic and make statements like this, which I think is easily more contradictory than anything I've said. I'd say my position is "nuanced" or something like that. I "contradict" myself because the way that I see things is very dependent on circumstances. I don't see this as anything close to a black and white issue.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
1) I think you are taking the comments about paying more personally, as if I'm saying you personally should pay more, when I didn't say that
2) You talk about the damage caused by 10000+ not paying compared to the one paying more.. but this isn't accurate. 10000+ per person who doesn't pay is not even close to a valid ratio. Even if there are that many downloaders per paying person, there is no way you can argue that that many people would even be willing to pay if they had to.

3) I really don't see where I was illogical, and you didn't really explain that but I agree that we don't see eye to eye and probably never will.

Quote:

Feelings? I don't think they are useful here honestly. You talk about education and logic and make statements like this, which I think is easily more contradictory than anything I've said. I'd say my position is "nuanced" or something like that. I "contradict" myself because the way that I see things is very dependent on circumstances. I don't see this as anything close to a black and white issue.[/quote]

2) Well, yeah, I was taking it as an individual (I did use "I," but I really couldn't phrase it in any other way). I made an imaginary number at the time, but I believe someone mentioned a website that gets that many hits/downloads per day. considering the figures I've seen from other websites, I just gave 10k and average. I believe there are more than that, though.

3)Well, that's it, your opinion and mine are totally different, but you asked and I was being honest, was I not? Feelings wasn't the best word, but whether believe it was useful or not, it still is there. Though Reaction most likely would've been a better way to describe it.

For the most part, after writing that post, I was pretty damn tired. I probably won't get into why I thought it was illogical. Let's just say I was slightly distracted and when I came back, my explanation kind of died. So I said to give it up, there was no point in finishing if I couldn't go back from where I left off. You think I'm contradicting, I think you're contradicting, so it all comes down to this.

We think very differently about the issue, and quite strongly. That's fine and dandy, so, I'm going to leave that as it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20