• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Best Duo tournament nomination thread]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I really think the definition of "Duo" should have been addressed in the first post. I see votes based off of romance/relationship for duos involving a male and a female.

In my case I voted for best "Duo" on the basis of how well the characters complimented each other. The way the characters interact, how they affect the other character and if they compliment each other for the entirety of the series.

Of course I'm making this statement in support of my choice Very Happy

So take it as a biased opinion if you want Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
tsubasafan1993

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I Wish I had known about the evil characters thing I bet sae from peach girl was a top nominee for most evil character
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I must say though all the Gennouske and Oboro haters stink heh. I mean the whole series is based around their relationship and how the war between the clans affects it. Not to mention spoiler[at the end they kill themselves for each other. I mean how much more devoted can ya get?!] But that's just my opinion anyway. I'd vote for them but with the amount against them right now even starting with a +2 my vote won't keep them in so I'm going to vote for someone else to stay. I'm also sad that as of now no couples from "X" are going to make it in. That makes me a sad panda. I'd have like to see at least one make it in. Not to mention my Godannar and Girl's Bravo couples all go rejected too.

Now, most of the couples I want to do well have a +3 or more standing and no votes against yet so I'll go with my favorite of the couples with +2 votes and knock them up to +3. Anyone that knows me could probably figure out who it is at this point.

Ban Midou & Ginji Amano from Getbackers

They will make it to the semi finals dammit not matter how much rallying for them I must do lol. So watch your PM boxes people hehe.

As for votes against........I'm going to go with;

Trowa Barton & Quatre Raberba Winner from Gundam Wing---while they are closer as a duo then any of the other pilots in Wing I still would not say they are much of a duo though. I mean their friendship at no point really takes the center stage. So compared to the competition, and other Gundam couples I could think of, I gotta cast my vote against them.

Tsukasa & Subaru from .hack//sign---This is simply another case where I think IMO compared to the competition they are a bit lacking. I mean Subaru is the only one Tsukasa really trusts and all that but their coupling is still not at the center of the story. It doesn't influence it either as much as other couples on the list do for each other. So unfortunately I have to vote against them, but at a +4 my vote is not enough to take them out by far anyway so no big deal really.

Ed & Ein from Cowboy bebop--- I'm sorry but this "duo" in no way shapes the story at all. I mean they're both nice characters but as a duo they honestly do nothing for the story in terms of being the center of it. I can't think of one couple on the list they could beat in the tournament honestly so I say don't even bother with them
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I must say though all the Gennouske and Oboro haters stink heh. I mean the whole series is based around their relationship and how the war between the clans affects it. Not to mention spoiler[at the end they kill themselves for each other. I mean how much more devoted can ya get?!] But that's just my opinion anyway.

My only issue with the Basilisk Duo is even though the series is about them, as a "Duo" they're only together in the series at the beginning and the end. There were just too many episodes in between where there is little change and development for either character. In that respect I found them lacking. Of course thats just my opinion. Anyhow if you're talking about Basilisk haters, theres a ton of Ed & Ein haters out there too Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
My only issue with the Basilisk Duo is even though the series is about them, as a "Duo" they're only together in the series at the beginning and the end. There were just too many episodes in between where there is little change and development for either character. In that respect I found them lacking.

I still support their inclusion, however. Regardless of how much time they're shown together, they are undeniably a couple, undeniably in love with each other, and their status as a couple lies at the heart of the series. Nearly all of the internal conflict in each clan is either directly because of them being a couple, or because them being a couple influences each other's opinions on the opposing clan, and without them being a couple the whole tragic feel of the series falls away. Granted, they may not go terribly far in the tournament, but they should definitely be included.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Romeo and Juliet from Romeo x Juliet
Seeing the real play just last night reminded me of how cheaply and poorly plotted this series was. I know it's SUPPOSED to be the most romantic couple ever, but their passion for each other in the source material itself was contrived and fast-paced, and the anime itself was a messy, sloppy, hard-to-enjoy shade of that. Shakespeare's real beauty is in his language, but I wonder how knowledgeable he was in the field of falling in love. Not more knowledgeable than these anime writers...

Sorry to be blunt, but whether or not you actually like RxJ in any version has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not they're a viable couple. The series is named after them, revolves around them developing their relationship, and neither acknowledges any other significant suitors. I won't get into a debate here on the merits of the source material (although I think you're dead wrong on that, too), but based just on the content in the anime I see no firm justification for not including them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Of course I'm not against them being included (Though I do harbour some regrets/anger that some of the Duos from Hajime No Ippo weren't included) what I do have against them is the title of "Best Duo" and thats why I voted against them.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to vote for:

Lupin & Zenigata of Lupin III

Against:

Kouta & Lucy of Elfen Lied because they just don't seem to appear as a duo to me. I really like this show, but I just don't see them as a legitimate pair.

Ed & Ein of Cowboy Bebop. I saw absolutely no reason why these two should be considered a pair in the series. I don't care that spoiler[they left the ship together.] That does not matter one bit. We all know that Ed is nuts, that's why she was in the craziest character tourney. That could just have been a decision she made on the spot, to call for him spoiler[as she was leaving.]

I AM NOT voting against them, but I'd like to point out that Van & Hitome from Escaflowne are on the accepted list twice, does that mean we have 143 and not 144 accepted duos?
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Official Third Round Votes

Voting For:

Misaki and Satou from Welcome to the NHK

Voting Against:

Daisuke Niwa and Riju from DNAngel

Light Yagami and L from Death Note (As Randall pointed out, these two are better suited for a Rivals Tournament)

Simon and Nia from Gurren Lagann
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay, pt III time!

I will vote for:

Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon. They were the first duo that popped into my head when the tournament was decided on and I would be crushed if they weren't in it.

Voting Against:

Kamui & Kotori from X. I see this one as similar to the situation with Yuki and Tohru, where the relationship really is more of a trio with Fuuma than a relationship on it's own.

Lelouch Lamperouge & CC from Code Geass. I know this vote against probably will amount to nothing because so many people are supporting it, but...I don't really find them to be a duo. I'd much rather see Lelouch and Suzaku up here because that one I would support. But I just don't find anything much of interest with Lelouch and CC, though who knows what the second season will bring.

Kaoru & Natsue Awayuki from Pretear. It pains me a bit to vote for this pair, because I find them wonderful and fun, but they are also so minor characters in the long run that I find them out of place against most of the other pairs on the list.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
1) Nominations list has been updated. 15 duos have gone into the negatives so far out of 144 (so that means 129 technically left). We're not necessarily stopping Pt. III at 128 though.

2) Duos jump from +1 to -1 after getting a vote against (no, there's no +0), and all negatives are shown in blue. I've gotten way more responses than I thought I'd get, so I think that most likely not all of the negatives will be thrown out of the tournament. And the reason...

3) After Pt. III is closed, characters will be booted out starting from the lowest score, working its way up. Once we get to a point where there's more duos of a certain score than number of duos left to kick off, we (me, ccdx and Key) are going to select from the remaining pool of duos with that particular score to decide which duos to axe.

If that was confusing, here's a (hypothetical) example...

Say that after Pt III is closed

2 duos end up having -6
1 duos ends up having -5
2 duos end up having -4
5 duos end up having -3
7 duos end up having -2
16 duos end up having -1

The current bracket has 144, and we need 128, so we have to kick 16 characters out of the bracket. So...

Both duos with -6 will be automatically booted
Then the -5 will get booted too
Same with the -4s, all of them
And the -3s

So that's 10 characters out of 16 who need the boot...
We need to remove 6 more before we get down to 128...

But there's 7 duos in the next category, which is -2. So, then, we the tournament hosts are going to pick 6 out of those 7 to kick off.

Which means one lucky -2 pair will remain, and all -1s will stay.

Kirkdawg wrote:
I'm surprised my nomination for Vincent Law and Re-l Mayer from Ergo Proxy was rejected. May I ask why they were rejected frentymon?

That was a mistake. I added them into the bracket.

Last edited by frentymon on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
2) Duos jump from +1 to -1 after getting a vote against (no, there's no +0), and all negatives are shown in -1. I've gotten way more responses than I thought I'd get, so I think that most likely not all of the negatives will be thrown out of the tournament. And the reason...

I'm a bit confused with number 2 so I'll just say what I'm assuming from my understanding.

If a series gets a vote for it gets a +1 and if it gets a vote against in the next post it becomes a -1?

So would it basically work at as this?

vote for = +1
vote against = -2?

Or say would another vote for bring it back to +1? or +2:

vote for -> +1 -> vote against -> -1 -> vote for -> +1?

or

vote for -> +1 -> vote against -> -1 -> vote for -> +2?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
I'm a bit confused with number 2 so I'll just say what I'm assuming from my understanding.

It's not quite that complicated. I'm just skipping +0.

If a duo has nothing next to it, they're assumed to be at +1. A vote against them would move them to -1.

A -1 with a vote in favor will bring a -1 to +1.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Just to make it clear, I am officially voting for Gennosuke and Oboro fom Basilisk and against:

Roy and Riza from FMP;

Miki and Kozue from Revolutionary Girl Utena;

Kyo and Tohru from Fruits Basket

In the former two cases I think it's too much of a stretch to call them a pair/duo; in the latter case, the anime alone doesn't represent them well enough as a duo; they are instead just 2/3 of a trio. (It's the same reason I never nominated anyone from Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl ~.)

And it's occurred to me that if we're going to allow Kino and Hermes from Kino's Journey as a pair then someone should probably also nominate Honoka and Bogie from The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye, as they have the exact same kind of relationship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
If it's ok with you Frentymon given the new rules I'd like to switch my vote supporting Ban and Ginji to a vote supporting Oboro and Gennouske instead. My 3 vetos will stay the same, just my "for" vote is changing since it seems they might still have a shot and my boys already have a +2 buffer as well.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's perfectly fine. In fact, I encourage it. If a character you supported seems very safe, feel free to switch your nomination to a character you support that might not be so safe. Just make sure to tell me which duo you're switching to and from.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 28