• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
If I did that means I finally scored so it'd probably be worth it Laughing

I suppose I should add that since the game relies on physical ability, which I sorely lack, I'd pick mage or archer as my class.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

*freaking loves loli (or shota) aspect couples.*

I think you'll love My Pico. Wink

Oh hell NO. I ain't falling for that one. Anime hyper

So you mean straight loli and shota only, then?
Key wrote:
Sorry, doesn't work that way. "Apologist" has an inherently very negative connotation, whether in this case or in general use. Not so much for "detractor." And no, I'm not going to get into a debate about this. #2 was your peace offering if you absolutely have to have one.

I prefer malcontent myself. Though I would say that hater, not that it has been used much, is of the same ilk as apologist.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
My point is this: wish fulfillment is a matter of context. To me the latter part of SAO has been weak in offering much else besides trying to put Kirito in the most awesome light possible. We rarely get to see him struggle to do anything. He is supposed to be a loner, but he quickly makes friends with all the hottest females. And whenever any man dare threatens this relationship: he always jumps in to defend them. If the men in the worlds don't become friends of his, then they are almost always typecast into ridiculous villains or weaklings. Whenever he faces a difficult opponent, he magically pulls some skill/power out of his ass that had little-to-no foreshadowing. He dies but then he doesn't. He is put in a situation where he is going to rescue Asuna and then (presumably) he'll get to screw her brains out as a reward. He has a hot little sister who also wants to screw his brains out. He plays it straight, but leaves the incest door open a crack. In any event, the conflict is resolved within hours with no hard feelings. He gains a daughter but doesn't have to deal with the negatives of raising a real child. And his personality is such that if you don't like him, then there must be something wrong with you. It's all terribly, terribly convenient. Almost too convenient. Even the conflict and drama, with the laughably ridiculous villains (at least in the second half) is just too contrived. But above all else, there rarely ever seems to be any real consequences for him (though I will give credit to the author for throwing us a bone with the kuroneko guild side-story early on). But more than anything, the way many fans take this show and the characters so personally lends at least some credence to the notion that the wish fulfillment aspects are being played to great success.
What you're describing there isn't wish fulfillment being a matter of context, but rather it being a matter of opinion. Context is what makes the difference between Kirito handily dealing with nearly a dozen PvP players and sending them to prison, and Kirito bluffing 3 PvP players and letting them leave free; or Kirito easily dispatching a boss monster with a single blade, and Kirito nearly dying defeating a boss monster with dual blades.

Things like "We rarely get to see him struggle to do anything." are a matter of opinion. He struggled to master flight, he struggled against a low-mid group of a dozen players, struggled against Eugene. To say nothing of the figurative wall he ran into in the World Tree dome. So when you say "he didn't struggle", what you actually mean is "he didn't struggle enough to make me feel like he was struggling. Likewise things like "And his personality is such that if you don't like him, then there must be something wrong with you." are of dubious accuracy. The other members of the floor 75 raid group were giving Kirito rather unfriendly looks, is something wrong with them? Kibaou has some pretty understandable and justified reasons for disliking Kirito, well before he became the villain of the episodes Yui was introduced. And so on and so forth. It's all a matter of opinion, not a matter of context. That's part of why it's to problematic to label it wish fulfillment. One man's "Kirito soloed a floor boss" is another man's "Kirito nearly died soloing a floor boss at 3/4ths health and would have died if it'd been at full health.

Anden wrote:
And that's also the thing I just don't get. If they foresaw these problems beforehand, then why did they go along with it anyway? There's a ton of material they needed to cover, and massive portions of it are just ignored. What do they hope to achieve by not taking the necessary liberties to explain these things to us? It seems really silly to say, "well we're being faithful to the source material so..." because by dropping material, they've already deviated from the source material.
The problems innate to any adaption have pretty much never been cause to not go ahead with an adaption. What liberties they take will always be some sort of compromise, and even when you're forced to drop material, it's generally better to try and stay closer to the original work. In SAO's case, they opted to take a fairly credible shot at doing "show, don't tell". Not always successful, and they've made some bad calls on what could be dispensed with, but on the whole I'd say they've done a decent job.

Quote:
They had the power to create the situations, dialogue, and characters needed to explain everything we'd need to understand the anime but they decided not to anyway. Oh sure they don't need to spend like 20 episodes carefully dissecting how all of the characters feel and explaining every single facet of the SAO system, but they definitely needed to spend more time at least explaining the pieces relevant to what we're being shown. That scene where Kirito pulls up the ALO menu and you see kind of how everything is measured and you notice the question marks explains succinctly a huge bit of how the ALO world worked. Yui then even had an excuse to explain parts of the system and his current situation and it didn't feel like they were just doing the crappy intro narrative at all.
The problem with that is that the further they get from the original work, the larger the backlash from the original fans of the series. Existing, liked characters already don't get enough screen time. Can you imagine the backlash of creating characters out of whole cloth merely for expository things? Forcing existing characters into the expository role is one of those things that increases chances of plot holes induced by their changes.

Quote:
I think Chuunibyou is a great example of near-total deviation from the original material (from what I've been told) and being able to have a great story and characters at the same time. I don't have any question of the story consistency, character development, or anything. There was no reason for them to turn it into a drama, but they did anyway and thoroughly followed through on the idea with me really empathizing with all of the characters without feeling the need to nitpick anything. There was practically no reason for the SAO creators to sacrifice anything for the sake of plot progression, and yet they did anyway.
The thing is that varying widely can shoot you in the foot in terms of adapting future material. Going "Eh, we're just going to totally do our own thing in adapting the series." can come back to bite you in the butt when a series proves popular enough to to adapt more material, and future plot points rely on something that you've changed. Nor does doing your own thing make you immune from odd plot holes created by changing or dropping things.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, any plot hole that's been raised could be answered with "it's explained in the LN" because it probably is. What will happen next week may probably be answered with, "well in the LN it's much more understandable" because it probably is. Either the SAO anime creators are the best LN marketers of this decade, because I definitely want to explore the SAO world more, or they have no idea what they're doing. Anyway, I'd thought I'd share my thoughts so we can keep growing this thread bwahahaha.
A good number of "plot holes" people raised over the series could be answered with "wait and see", "you weren't paying attention", or "use some good sense and put some thought into it.

Key wrote:
And this is a great example of how fiendishly clever SAO's handling of its previews are. As irritating as it is to have to wait 4-5 days for it, it's nonetheless a brilliant tool for stirring up interest and enthusiasm for a series mid-week between episode.
Personally I'm impressed on how generally deceptive the previews have managed to be, without people generally picking up on it. For example as I recall the preview for episode 10 had a fair number of people thinking it would just cover the duel between Kirito and Heathcliff. The preview for episode 14 had some people thinking clip show.

That sort of dedication to avoiding genuine spoilers in the episode preview is pretty rare.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Speaking of, what race would you guys choose? I think I'd go Silph because those are more my type of elves.

None, I really dislike the ears. If I were in a game like that I'd rather choose my own appearance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Speaking of, what race would you guys choose? I think I'd go Silph because those are more my type of elves.
Definetly be Spriggan, I always wear black and I usually use some form of illusions in games over pure attack or defence strategies. (found a link to ALO Races)

egoist wrote:
None, I really dislike the ears. If I were in a game like that I'd rather choose my own appearance.
Well the Cait Sith have different ears to the others, but perhaps your are just an earsist?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well the Cait Sith have different ears to the others, but perhaps your are just an earsist?

I think the Blood Elves in WoW are just sexy. Females ones. The male ones look gay as fudge.
Oroboro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Those mechanical wings on the Leprechaun's look pretty cool, probably something like that. Very Happy

There are some minor spoilers on that wiki page though, just an FYI.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And this is a great example of how fiendishly clever SAO's handling of its previews are. As irritating as it is to have to wait 4-5 days for it, it's nonetheless a brilliant tool for stirring up interest and enthusiasm for a series mid-week between episode.

As much as the preview offended my sense of honorable storytelling, I have no choice but to agree that it was a clever marketing tool.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
This thread is almost at 200 pages?! Shocked Wow. I guess that I should check out the series! Neutral Anime smallmouth
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
This thread is almost at 200 pages?! Shocked Wow. I guess that I should check out the series! Neutral Anime smallmouth

Don't let the length of the thread fool you. Sword Art Online is not amazing, just controversial.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
You know I never even knew these previews existed until they were posted in this thread. I just thought all we got was the title at the end of each episode.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And this is a great example of how fiendishly clever SAO's handling of its previews are. As irritating as it is to have to wait 4-5 days for it,

Why's it irritating to wait? Even if I'm anxious to see the next episode of a series that I love, I have no problem waiting until the episode airs. I see no point in bothering with informative or deceptive previews for any show. If they've cleverly written, I may go back and watch them after I see the episode that's being previewed.

Quote:
it's nonetheless a brilliant tool for stirring up interest and enthusiasm for a series mid-week between episode.

Why are all of the people who think that it's a terrible show that interested in knowing in advance what happens in the next terrible episode? I don't think that I've given any SAO episode more than a 3-☆ rating on CR, and that was probably for the episode when Kirito got his butt kicked at the tree (because it was a pleasant change of pace). Every other episode has been merely 1- or 2-☆.

dtm42 wrote:
Don't let the length of the thread fool you. Sword Art Online is not amazing, just controversial.

Where's the controversy? It's bad, and it's not even worth the small fraction of my CR subscription that it gets. ^^ I wouldn't buy it even at Funi's SAVE prices, which it won't be getting from AoA. ;p
Oroboro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Where's the controversy? It's bad, and it's not even worth the small fraction of my CR subscription that it gets. ^^ I wouldn't buy it even at Funi's SAVE prices, which it won't be getting from AoA. ;p

I think you just answered your own question there. Some people disagree with that assessment. =P
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
nbahn wrote:

Yea, there is NO way this thread would be this long without the arguments for and against. Also, the backers of the show wouldn't be having nearly as much fun just preaching to each other about how good it is Wink
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Yea, there is NO way this thread would be this long without the arguments for and against. Also, the backers of the show wouldn't be having nearly as much fun just preaching to each other about how good it is Wink

And of course that comment goes the other way, too. Wink

And Ingram: You seem to be utterly missing the point that not everyone thinks like you do about the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 199 of 274