• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, FUNimation, Geneon form joint venture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they mean all branches of the Bandai corporation anywhere in the world, but I can easily believe that FUNi is bigger than Bandai Entertainment USA,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I don't think they mean all branches of the Bandai corporation anywhere in the world, but I can easily believe that FUNi is bigger than Bandai Entertainment USA,

Even though many hardcore fan don't like DBZ, Yugioh and maybe even YuYu, they're still huge seller. Especially DBZ.

This is interesting news and I'll see what the outcome of it before I dismiss it.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:46 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see a positive side of this. FUNimation has always been a big seller...to kids. I didn't exactly see them make a huge deal about Blue Gender (their best dub ever). I find it really hard to believe that with a company like that I'd be seeing more animes like Armitage III and Texhnolyze or even Golden Boy or Puni Puni Poemi.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:11 am Reply with quote
Shocked Funimation is within the top three ranks of Anime distro companies?!? i guess milking the DBZ franchise to death and beyond, has really paid off. I wouldv'e liked for Media Blasters if not Bandai to have been included within this joint venture.

Skepticism aside, it's a hit or miss. but i with Geneon's niche titles and ADV's marketing stragedy this might work after all.
time will tell.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:21 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I find it really hard to believe that with a company like that I'd be seeing more animes like Armitage III and Texhnolyze or even Golden Boy or Puni Puni Poemi.

I believe they're covering those grounds very well, especially with shows like Kiddy Grade, Tenchi, and the newly accuired Samurai 7.

Also, keep in mind that the phrase "young adults" can mean MANY different things depending on the user. For some people it's the same as "older teens" (book stores seem to use it this way) but in other places it could be a wide range of ages. Doing quick Google search I get 20-34, 19-24, 20-21, 16-24 and so on. It's really hard telling just what they've ment by "young adults", but don't rule them out yet for only doing kiddy stuff.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:27 am Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Shocked Funimation is within the top three ranks of Anime distro companies?!? i guess milking the DBZ franchise to death and beyond, has really paid off.

It really has little to do with DB. Keep in mind that they don't only distribute their own stuff, but also for other companies as well such as 4Kids, Nelvana, and others. As an animation distributor I do see them being one of the top 3.

Quote:
I wouldv'e liked for Media Blasters if not Bandai to have been included within this joint venture.

Media Blasters would have brought nothing to the group and as I said before, Bandai doesn't need a joint venture.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:34 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I'd like to see a positive side of this. FUNimation has always been a big seller...to kids. I didn't exactly see them make a huge deal about Blue Gender (their best dub ever). I find it really hard to believe that with a company like that I'd be seeing more animes like Armitage III and Texhnolyze or even Golden Boy or Puni Puni Poemi.

Hey lets forget Tenchi or Kiddy Grade and Full Metal Alchemist why don't we?

There's a good reason Blue Gender didn't do as well as the Dragonball franchise, and thats because Blue Gender doesn't have the same, massive family/boy oriented appeal/market that Dragonball has/had. Besides, Yuyu Hakusho hasn't been doing super-amazingly well (not to say it's doing badly, it's just.. there, kinda), and Case Closed is a mixed basket.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:54 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone getting so worked up over the "kids to young adults" part?

Like it or not, that demographic is the lifeblood of this industry,and 90% of anime is aimed at "kids and young adults." Most of the more popular series among fans-InuYasha, Kenshin, Gundam, Full Metal Alchemist, Hikaru No Go, Naruto, Conan,Tenchi, One Piece and so forth...all fit that description. I mean, even Evangelion was originally aimed at that age group (it ran on a kid's timeslot at the same time as such thought-provoking,mature fare as Wedding Peach.) But the great thing about anime is that almost all of it can be enjoyed by anyone, reguardless of what some press release says the "intended" audience is.

I suspect of a lot of animation producers make shows they fully intend adults to enjoy, and then slap a "for kids" label on it to get toy companies involved. Remember they said "targeted for" kids not "intended for." All "targeted" determines is what time of the day the TV ads will run, not the content. It doesn't mean whatever they produce is going to be childish-it just means they know how the industry works. At least wait until you know what it IS before you decide you hate it.

Rolling Eyes
Toboe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:10 am Reply with quote
I think there's a colossal misunderstanding in this thread about what that press release says.

Ever see 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World"? That production brought in money from Fox, Paramount and Miramax; sometimes three corporations will all toss funds into the pot to produce something.

What this press release means is that these three will be working together to produce new animation aimed at children and teenagers. It has nothing - I REPEAT - nothing to do with the anime market as we currently see it. This WILL NOT impact anime as we see it now. So get that out of your heads. This is not about licensing shows or changing current releases or whatever... this is a production effort by three American corporations looking to produce something new. It isn't a merger, these three companies aren't becoming one.

It's all there in the press release, folks.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:30 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
What this press release means is that these three will be working together to produce new animation aimed at children and teenagers. It has nothing - I REPEAT - nothing to do with the anime market as we currently see it. This WILL NOT impact anime as we see it now. So get that out of your heads.

I fail to see how you get that out of,

"The three largest producers and distributors of Anime in America - ADV Films, Inc., Funimation Productions LTD and Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc. - announced plans to form a joint venture for the development and marketing of Anime." (emphasis added)

To me that has everything to do wit the anime market as we currently see it and will impact anime as we see it now. No, I don't see this as a merger, but rather as a mutual venture that all three companies, as well as their viewers, will gain from. While it may not change everything it is an unpresedented move in the US anime industry. Something like this could have a lasting impression. If all goes well then no title may be out of reach or impossible to make as long as the possibility for partnerships are there.

Emerje
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think it might fall apart. All three companies compete with each other already for a limited number of properties and distribute to the same niche.

Unless they decided already which company is to take the lead and how fiscial responsibility to be divided among them. I see nothing but ego getting in the way.

I have never even seen an USA anime video producer have a successful cross marketing campaign with a USA game or manga producer, let alone a full fledge joint venture.

I'll believe when I see it.
dukefan89

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Wait a minute, what if they're... *gasp*.. trying to license Naruto!? Shocked

Ha, ha Laughing. Just kidding. I haven't even seen Naruto myself, so I guess I don't really care.

Or perhaps, maybe they can start distributing each other's titles so all the Geneon DVDs won't be as expensive. Rolling Eyes That would be super though, so I could get the rest of Last EXILE sooner. Surprised

i actually was thinkning thats what they are going to do bc noone could license it now bc it was supposivly very expensive.. so if they all go together they would be able to release it ... well im just hopeing thats the case Very Happy
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

"The three largest producers and distributors of Anime in America - ADV Films, Inc., Funimation Productions LTD and Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc. - announced plans to form a joint venture for the development and marketing of Anime." (emphasis added)

What really shows what the plans will be is not that line.. but rather this one..

"The new joint venture will focus on developing high quality entertainment series primarily targeted to children and young adults, where the team can best maximize their respective resources, talent and expertise."
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Emerje wrote:

What really shows what the plans will be is not that line.. but rather this one..

"The new joint venture will focus on developing high quality entertainment series primarily targeted to children and young adults, where the team can best maximize their respective resources, talent and expertise."

OMG does that mean they are going to make another Samurai X or some other original CN anime wannabe show.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:
OMG does that mean they are going to make another Samurai X or some other original CN anime wannabe show.

I doubt they'll be adding on to an existing franchise, and seeing as how Geneon has Japanese roots and ADV and FUNi have very close Japanese ties I'd have a hard time calling anything the three develope an anime wannabe.

Kazuki-san: While I agree that that is a strong statement it doesn't mention anime, just entertainment, so it really doesn't go against what Toboe said. In fact, if read alone it would probably do more to support what he said.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5