• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Upotte!! (ONA).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4. Israeli's are arrogant. So are Finlanders. This show is weird. And I keep watching.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I like that they actually strip down to their skivvies when they field strip. As for the Israeli guns, Galil is pretty awesome in one of the upcoming arcs against the Slavic antagonists. The Cold War lives on through this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Episode 4. Israeli's are arrogant. So are Finlanders. This show is weird. And I keep watching.

And apparently Finlanders have elf ears, too. Huh, did not know that. I was wondering when AK-47s would be cited in this show and although Galil and Sako are not AK-47's, they are derived from them? I guess? Well, that would explain their antipathy for Ichiroku, who is a real bitch by the way. And what's the deal with the orange slice hairpin? Is there any M-16 reference there or is that just a random bit of costuming?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

And what's the deal with the orange slice hairpin? Is there any M-16 reference there or is that just a random bit of costuming?

Some say a reference to agent orange, but more likely it's the windage adjustment on the rear sight.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Laughing If it is a sly reference to Agent Orange, that's pretty dark stuff.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Laughing If it is a sly reference to Agent Orange, that's pretty dark stuff.

Could also be a sly reference to Joker's peace symbol, given all of the other FMJ references and that they were using M-16s, but I doubt that too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Although I would give greater credence to that than the Agent Orange thing.
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I wanted to answer just the OP main question: They are guns. It's an abstract notion and really there's no meaningful explanation to it. It's like trying to explain a Fuller Potter artpiece. It's. just. there.

Episode 4 definitely answered the girls or guns question. According to their drill sargent they are guns. They won't be killed if they get shot, but they will feel pain. Interesting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that I am starting to recognise guns from video games, well I played a bit of Black Ops last week and I think there were some same ones.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I just realized that Shigu's transparent magazine wasn't used as an excuse for nudity. And thought that was strange. And then realized that I thought it was strange that they didn't throw in the gratuitous nudity. This show makes me think strangely.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Wow, there were parts of this eppie I absolutely detested. Look, I "get" making us hate a character so that we get the catharsis when that character gets his/her comeuppance, but come on. Sweet Jesus. I think the Japanese have this thing of, "hmmm, not quite sure this character is hateful enough yet ... let's turn the cruelty meter up to 11, just to be on the safe side." Rolling Eyes

Plus, I effing HATE the fact that the show is making me spoiler[wait three whole episodes before I get to see Ichiroku and Eru FINALLY work together as a team and for Ichiroku to knock of her bitchy attitude towards Eru.] Holy effin' delayed gratification, Batman.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder what kind of gun-related maintenance issue is going to be used as the explanation for... no, wait, I guess she's just a pervert.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Japan thinks Finns are lesbians, as evidenced in Jormungand, this, and Strike Witches. I'm glad the anime didn't wimp out with her like it did with not slowing L leaking her fluids in the manga. As for hating her, spoiler[you'll hate the Communists once they show up even more. Because they're Communists.] Glad Galil finally got a line in, but not enough to really see the affect that Yukko's VA will give her. I liked that the field stripping relates to the upper and lower receives as to what will come off. It feels like if this is a 12/13 episode show, we'll it'll come to a close at the end of next very big arc.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 5

Wow, there were parts of this eppie I absolutely detested. Look, I "get" making us hate a character so that we get the catharsis when that character gets his/her comeuppance, but come on. Sweet Jesus. I think the Japanese have this thing of, "hmmm, not quite sure this character is hateful enough yet ... let's turn the cruelty meter up to 11, just to be on the safe side." Rolling Eyes

Plus, I effing HATE the fact that the show is making me spoiler[wait three whole episodes before I get to see Ichiroku and Eru FINALLY work together as a team and for Ichiroku to knock of her bitchy attitude towards Eru.] Holy effin' delayed gratification, Batman.

it was bound to happen sooner or later but i am ore worried about that spoiler[BOOM HEAD SHOOT] in the final few moments. You gotta love some one with levels that high of craziness. Heh fun times.. fun times indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
So how about that elf chick, she got a bit exceited with her trigger didn't she? Since Chiaki was removed I have been looking another such character. Seems that the people in charge are a little lax with safety and keeping lack of sportsmanship in check.

Oh~ and an Australian gun, have to say that I was going for her in that bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8