• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Medaka Box Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scineram

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
Frankly, I'm happy that Medaka Box has shown that people buy Bake/Nisemonogatari for SHAFT and Shinbo

Wrong the current episodes don't have any characteristics of NisiOisin storytelling.No pop culture references,no huge dialogue,no interesting puns,no philosophizing in dialogue.It is pure shonen comedy series later much later it develops into a parody of shonen action series much closer to NisiOisin .

The point is that its still NisiOisin, and Bakem/Nise haters tried to argue they only sold because of people buying anything he made... which has now proven beyond a doubt to be false.

Look, it is stupid to say people buy everything with his name on it or Medaka is not really him, but Monogatari is huge because of him at least as much as Shaft. Episode 7 was first time I thought this is definitely his work, and it is my favorite episode so far by a mile. So Carl is mostly right, I just hope it continues more like that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Hahahah no.

Monogatari (anime) is not huge because of him. If you want to say that the 7,000 people who bought Katanagatari bought it for Nisio, that's fine. But that's still less than 10% of the people who bought Bake. They bought it for the visual flair and style that Shaft and Shinbo bring, which is why only Nisio adaptations done by Shaft and Shinbo sell really well.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I've found this series to just be good. It's far from boring for me, but I do wonder when we'll get to the stuff that helped save the manga I keep hearing about like in this thread.

Gainax does seem to not be putting all that much effort into this show though, that I agree with. You'd wonder if it's really Gainax animating this (I'm still surprised they took up animating a WSJ series).

I do hope there will be more than 12 episodes in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Medaka Boxs manga sucked up to this point, and it almost got cancelled... until it changed genre, and became one of the more popular Jump mangas afterwards.

It sells more than Magico, STARS, and that one about mirrors. That's hardly 'one of the more popular Jump manga'.

Frankly, I'm happy that Medaka Box has shown that people buy Bake/Nisemonogatari for SHAFT and Shinbo, not for Nisioisin. This is one of the season's biggest flops in terms of current pre-order estimates.

Well that and Sengoku Collection. The happy bread show is also looking like another looser.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
actually,at the rate things are going with JUMP rankings and sales, Medaka's sales are...ok. Ratings are bad though.

Medaka's sales are better than the new series in JUMP.
out of the before 2009 mangas, medaka is the lowest in terms of sales.
_Archer_

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see that this got a bad review. The source material only very recently had one good arc, but other than that it's awful.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like Haruhi 1.1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3