• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo's Iwata Discusses Anime's 'Road to Survival'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ZetaEpyon wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:
The Japanese needs to think outside the box and take matters into their own hands by including English sub on their releases more frequent . Just like BV is doing for some of their releases, instead of pushing the blame on international markets for not wanting to buy their releases.

I am sure that there are lots of fans outside Japan who would love to buy the Japaneses released (DVDs/BDs) for their shows (especially if they're not licensed), but are relucant to do so mostly due to the lack of sub. Of course, with more sales and market expansion the prices will be pushed down gradually.

I would absolutely love for this to become more common. I would certainly import discs of stuff I really like straight from Japan if they included English subs, even at Japanese prices (which are steep). The really sad thing is, it's even easier to do now with something like Blu-ray, where the region coding for Japan and North America are the same.

This. I'm not crazy about the high price of discs but I would be willing to do this. In fact I've been thinking that if the Japanese cut the North American market, or just every other country out, of the anime market they'll have to do this or find some way of giving us a legal alternative. Otherwise we're just going to watch fansubs all the time and they'll never get anything from the 200,000 or so people who watch the fansubs. I'm not assuming that everyone one of those people will pay in any form, probably like 20,000 of them will, but if they're going to do this something should be done like this. I've got plenty of non-anime R1 DVDs that have multiple subtitle tracks on them why don't the Japanese do this?
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Here's a thought that cropped up in my mind when he said targeting it to Japanese -- what if that means they won't bring some anime over here in the future in order to cut costs from licensing, which would suck in the long run.

Costs from licensing? Licensing is just an added revenue stream for them. It doesn't hurt them. What hurts them is when they make a title, planning on it being licensed to help pay for it, and then nobody ends up licensing it for one reason or another. These are the titles that he is probably referring to that will bite the dust. There are likely to be more seasons of Da Capo and Pretty Cure and stuff which already has a large Japanese fanbase who will fork over money for a good anime adaptation or merchandise or what not.
Gone will be most of the western style Gonzo stuff, some of the Kadokawa stuff, the experimental stuff, etc.
Quote:
I've fired rounds at the Japanese distribution model before, as y'all know. I can't believe it took them THIS long to realize their model of charging close to a hundred quid for 50 minutes without extras just MAY be straining some people's wallets. Just a little.

R2s are of much higher quality in every way and on average, have decent number of extras.

DavidShallcross wrote:

Hmm. The original article is not perfectly clear what for what nation these "nationwide" numbers apply. I would have guessed the US, from the companies mentioned in that particular paragraph, but it could have been Japan. I wouldn't have thought it meant Taiwan.
It is more likely they mean the US than Japan. The numbers for Japan are leaked on 2ch weekly so there are places where you can find compilations of the sales numbers. Very few titles go below 500 in Japan.

Edit: It says "In the Americas" for the DVD sales.

Last edited by bayoab on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
viciousnip wrote:

Somethings that I found interesting that were not translated...

- Titles that were developed with an US fanbase in mind: Blue Dragon and Keroro.

Actually, this message is not accurate. The original article says Blue Dragon and Keroro had overseas expansion plans in the works. It didn't say that these were aimed at the U.S. fanbase specifically.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
さらに、違法配信サイトや動画共有サイトの台頭が、地上波テレビを中心としたアニメのビジネスモデルを破壊。「日本でアニメを放送された翌日には、現地語の字幕を付けてネットにアップされてしまう」ため、日本で放送終了した作品を海外に販売するころには、海外ファンはすでにそのアニメを見ており、視聴率が取れなくなる。「成功の方程式――テレビメディアのビジネスモデルが崩れた」

From where I'm sitting, it's nice to see someone in Japan admit that their business model is broken. (From a worldwide sales standpoint).

This is progress.

-Tofu
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
Also, I didn't like the idea of excessive expanding of Anime worldwide from the beginning. I like Anime - but I don't want Anime on overpriced DVDs!!

Yes, they are pretty expensive, but a reduction in the market might make them more expensive. It certainly won't make them less so.

As to the idea of the Japanese companies putting out DVDs or Blue-Rays already subbed into English: I like the idea, but only if the subs are done by a native English speaker. Otherwise, tales of Engrish would be quite common, which would likely hurt the market even more.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
@Unit 03.5-ish:
People aren't idiots just because they don't care about watching Naruto on CR and prefer fansubs. Quality on CR isn't really good and fansubs are available in HD-quality. Also I - and many other people - HATE (!) streaming videos.

Since you should be using fansubs for preview purposes only, super-high quality shouldn't be an issue. Of course, my computer's also wretchedly old and can't handle HD, so...

Quote:
But I think a shrinking of the anime market isn't that bad. There are way too many new series each season and many of them are just... garbage.
Concentrating on less, better series would be better, I think.

No, actually, a shrinking market will guarantee "more of the same," because companies will stick with whatever works, i.e. harems, gundam-ripoffs and generic shounen series (to quote someone else on this thread). You want a broad market so that studios can take a few risks and produce better series.

Quote:
Also, I didn't like the idea of excessive expanding of Anime worldwide from the beginning. I like Anime - but I don't want Anime on overpriced DVDs!!

Okay, I agree with you on that; compared to buying American television series, anime is ridiculously expensive. But I'm not sure what the hell that has to do with its expansion overseas. If it hadn't expanded overseas, you wouldn't have it AT ALL.

Quote:
Further, concentrating on the Japanese marketplace could lead to more series which are aimed specific to a Japanese audience and aren't adjusted to a worldwide audience (which would be good, I think).

Um... why would that be good?

Quote:
And concentrating on the Japanese marketplace could also lead to a boom of fansubs, because if new series are only released in Japan, people will need more fansubs.

Okay... I'm starting to get the picture here... you're one of those "I never buy anything and only use fansubs, yay for copyright violation!" people. Look, I don't want to see fansubs disappear just yet because we don't have enough viable means of previewing anime before buying it, but that's what they should be used for: previews!! If you like something, buy it; if you don't, don't keep the fansubs.

What's really the problem here is 1) the economic downturn (I know I've been cutting back on purchases) and 2) anime DVDs are really, really expensive, even in Japan, where they'll often have only two episodes per DVD. I'll bet you the manga business hasn't taken as big a hit over there, because manga is cheap.

Still, I hold out hope that internet streaming will pave a new era in anime business models. I'm not crazy about Crunchyroll because of their history, but I've been watching Funimation's release of Shikabane Hime even though I'm not that crazy about the series just because the medium needs to have support. I'm willing to wait a few weeks to do things legally.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
]
Hmm. The original article is not perfectly clear what for what nation these "nationwide" numbers apply. I would have guessed the US, from the companies mentioned in that particular paragraph, but it could have been Japan. I wouldn't have thought it meant Taiwan.
It is more likely they mean the US than Japan. The numbers for Japan are leaked on 2ch weekly so there are places where you can find compilations of the sales numbers. Very few titles go below 500 in Japan.

Edit: It says "In the Americas" for the DVD sales.

Thanks. I was thinking of the ANN article, which was not explicit on this, rather than the ITMedia article, which I can't read. (Although, now that you point it out, "全米で400本" is suggestive.)
marek1712

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
If I'm thinking what you're thinking, maybe they make more of the same because Japanese customers, oh goly, buy the DVDs, and the industry makes more. Such a mind-boggling concept! o.o!

Apparently - you're wrong and they're fed on the same things time and time again:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/01/13/winter-2009-anime-not-want-sales-wither/
Even I can't watch all those identical mecha with stupid kids as main characters. 80s and 90s rock!
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well -- it looks like Anime (maybe even Manga) will be Japan only after all. Laughing
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I've got to agree with Iwata on some points, but I don't know what the blazes he means when he says its time to go back to the past. Global economic recessions AND digital availabilty through fansubs/illegal downloads are going to hurt the global industry. That's common sense. Less money and a free alternative? Of course its going to hurt. However, Iwata has nobody to blame but himself for most of the free alternatives. While piracy is something that all media must overcome (anime is not exclusive in this sense), things like fansubbing are pretty much the fault of Japanese animation companies not embracing the global market at all. Only an idiot would believe that in today's world, people acoss the globe would sit patiently for upwards of a year or so for something that was playing right now. Somebody knows its there, and somebody is going to make it available. Japan can't combat it legally since there is no benefit to them in the tangible future - they aren't making money off it overseas until it actually is transported overseas, so to defend their copyrights would just sink money into expensive litigation. The only way to deal with it would be to make it available.

Obviously, as has been noted before, the DVD model is failing. And for some pretty obvious reasons. Costs of dvds are expensive, especially when you maybe get 4 episodes a disc (box sets are the way to go since most people plan on attempting to purchase all the episodes anyway). Mayhaps it works in Japan, and I understand the philosophy behind it (someone will pay the same price for a motion picture lasting roughly the same amount of time - why not 4 episodes?). But clearly, the same thought process of the consumer is NOT present in the anime purchasing consumer (which I would think was obvious as well - they plan on buying the series, the show, not a finitely time movie). Successfully, American TV shows have been marketed by selling by the season, so that might be one way to go about it.

Another is digital availability (either by streaming or paid downloads). Both of which are good for reasons, and both of which I have no doubt would be an excellent answer for the type of otaku living out of Japan would embrace wholeheartedly. This has seen some experimental forays over the last year, and it remains to be seen whether or not it will be truly successful (Iwata speaks prematurely on this topic - so I wonder if Iwata isn't after some alternative agenda). Past efforts (yes, I do acknowledge them) can be chalked down to an ever expanding digital marketplace - whereas even a few years ago might have been too small to accomodate.

Finally, I've got to comment on the whole "going back to the past." If he means release in Japan only, effectively cutting the global market off, he is essentially saying, "fansubbers, welcome back." It will return and there is very little he could do to stop it (again, monetarily it could only hurt him to resist if he has no global market). I really am not that upset over such a revelation since, well, if I have to I'll live with my free fansubs. It's tough I know. If I have the chance to buy anime and support the company, then I will, but otherwise - what else is there for me to do? But if Iwata means targeting the Japanese audience, then I also really am not that upset. That's really a matter of taste, I think, so it hurts if you just aren't interested. But if I was Iwata's advisor, from a purely economic standpoint, I'd say that do what you think you have to - but if you want a global market, you have the power to do it properly. Don't go blaming the world for your problems when you just fail to come up with solutions. A smart company comes up with answers; those that must scale back are those that simply didn't do enough work.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Why I think it would be good if Anime wasn't adjusted to a worldwide audience? Because I love Anime with lots of references to Japanese culture, history, society, japanese way of living and thinking.
Same with Anime which is primary produced for a hardcorde-otaku-audience.

Btw.: I didn't say that a boom of fansubbing because of less Anime publications worldwide would be a good thing. If I can get a good (!) anime for a reasonable (!) price, I pay for it, sure!

Also, I often record shows/series/movies from television and keep/collect them. But I wouldn't actually buy them on DVD. They are good, but maybe not so good that I'm willing to buy them. Many people do that and I don't think that's wrong.
There's really something between "I love it so I buy it" and "It's crap, I won't keep it even if it's for free".
But I still buy my favorite movies on DVD, so don't think I don't buy anything at all...

If I would live in Japan, I would also record Anime from TV; I wouldn't buy expensive DVDs of most shows.
If I could somehow get HQ access to japanese television from here in Europe, I would gladly even pay a fee for it (if it wasn't ridicously high).
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
An average of $70,000 a month gives a bit of hope that the new format has potential. although thats not enough to support a show its a decent start to a new approach in digital distribution. I personally hate streams too but asides from a bit of random lag and not having the option freely rewind or skip intros shimmlessly I think the quality is fine. I honestly don't notice much of a difference between my naruto fansubs and the one streaming on CR. Just treat the stream the same way you treated a torrent. Click, hit pause and let it load before sitting down and watching it.

But I love the option we get with Duraga. Owning a digital copy is an awesome feature and might be one of the reasons its done so will as a sleeper hit. Of course upping the action in the later half helped too. But I can see why they don't do it for Naruto since it already has a distributor.
viciousnip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:

Finally, I've got to comment on the whole "going back to the past." If he means release in Japan only, effectively cutting the global market off, he is essentially saying, "fansubbers, welcome back." It will return and there is very little he could do to stop it (again, monetarily it could only hurt him to resist if he has no global market). I really am not that upset over such a revelation since, well, if I have to I'll live with my free fansubs. It's tough I know. If I have the chance to buy anime and support the company, then I will, but otherwise - what else is there for me to do? But if Iwata means targeting the Japanese audience, then I also really am not that upset. That's really a matter of taste, I think, so it hurts if you just aren't interested. But if I was Iwata's advisor, from a purely economic standpoint, I'd say that do what you think you have to - but if you want a global market, you have the power to do it properly. Don't go blaming the world for your problems when you just fail to come up with solutions. A smart company comes up with answers; those that must scale back are those that simply didn't do enough work.

Iwata is saying nothing of cutting the global market off. He is saying that at the current trend of consumption, there is little demand for anime from broadcasters in US and other regions. If this trend continues, there will be little or no anime broadcast on TV and it will become something that only Japanese people will be able to watch from broadcast.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
viciousnip wrote:
Iwata is saying nothing of cutting the global market off. He is saying that at the current trend of consumption, there is little demand for anime from broadcasters in US and other regions. If this trend continues, there will be little or no anime broadcast on TV and it will become something that only Japanese people will be able to watch from broadcast.

While he wasn't saying there will be a complete cutoff of the global market, he wasn't just limiting his comments to broadcast either. That's why he raised the issues of the falling DVD sales and other areas.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
ZetaEpyon wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:
The Japanese needs to think outside the box and take matters into their own hands by including English sub on their releases more frequent . Just like BV is doing for some of their releases, instead of pushing the blame on international markets for not wanting to buy their releases.

I am sure that there are lots of fans outside Japan who would love to buy the Japaneses released (DVDs/BDs) for their shows (especially if they're not licensed), but are relucant to do so mostly due to the lack of sub. Of course, with more sales and market expansion the prices will be pushed down gradually.

I would absolutely love for this to become more common. I would certainly import discs of stuff I really like straight from Japan if they included English subs, even at Japanese prices (which are steep). The really sad thing is, it's even easier to do now with something like Blu-ray, where the region coding for Japan and North America are the same.

This. I'm not crazy about the high price of discs but I would be willing to do this. In fact I've been thinking that if the Japanese cut the North American market, or just every other country out, of the anime market they'll have to do this or find some way of giving us a legal alternative. Otherwise we're just going to watch fansubs all the time and they'll never get anything from the 200,000 or so people who watch the fansubs. I'm not assuming that everyone one of those people will pay in any form, probably like 20,000 of them will, but if they're going to do this something should be done like this. I've got plenty of non-anime R1 DVDs that have multiple subtitle tracks on them why don't the Japanese do this?

I would gladly buy BR with english subs as well, especially since they don't want to allow US companies to distribute BR disks. Sadly I don't think they will but I will keeping hoping.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7