• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: L.A. Times: CW Discusses Battle Royale TV Remake in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
They mean it's going to be a series with hourlong episodes, like everything else on the network and just about every American TV show that isn't comedy or news.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
So The CW is taking an interesting in making a TV series out of Battle Royale? I would so think that the Battle Royale/Hunger Games fandom war is only going to escalate from there.

From what I have heard, Battle Royale is very graphically violent and I wonder how they handle it and would most likely tone it down for the mainstream.

It would feel like an obvious cash in to The Hunger Games and it would be interesting that rather than just typically Americanize the series, have it set in the same universe as the original where the Battle Royale act isn't only in Japan and is also happening elsewhere too and reference what happened in Japan would be a nice bonus too.

Regardless, I remain skeptical on how they can bring this series out of development hell and give it the mainstream recognition that it deserves.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
"Hunger Games without random exploding environment, retarded looking burgeoise, sponsoring, and wacky science dogs. Also everyone is the same age"

I love how people automatically say stuff like whitewashed when there's no need to keep everyone asian if the themes are the same - the most basic stuff will hit the viewers the same way whether the kids are Japanese or not. Why would anyone demand the series to be an Americanized statement on another country's affairs, especially when it would just lead to more confusion? Sure, things will probably be toned down or hammed up a bit, but the scenario itself is hardly one that needs to be limited to a specific place. It's a story about a particular kind of situation and a group of very different people struggling with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3