• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Posts 1st Episodes of Anime Series on Gaia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
It seems that the Lance isn't understanding that Gaia has a bad reputation.

...Who cares if it has a bad reputation? People supporting legal anime are people supporting legal anime, from Narutards to the hardcore to Gaians and beyond. Jesus.

Do you want these people representing you?

I don't.

My momma sure doesn't either. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
Err.. they aren't representing anyone - they are advertising targets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
What's with all of the Gaia hate? I am a user of Gaia, and I have formed friendships with plenty of literate anime fans. There will be n00bs and stupid people everywhere; the virtue of Gaia is that it is such a massive anime-based community, with all sorts of people and features.

I, for one, am extremely happy that Funimation contributed some of its anime catalogue to Gaia. Times are changing, and posting content online is the way to go. Thank you Funimation and thank you Gaia.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Mikuru wrote:

...Who cares if it has a bad reputation? People supporting legal anime are people supporting legal anime, from Narutards to the hardcore to Gaians and beyond. Jesus.

I don't.

No one is "representing" me, lord. That's like saying Twilight fans represent me as a bibliophile because they freak out over some of the most terribly written drivel in recent memory. Or that death metal (god forbid) fans represent me as an audiophile. Etc, etc.

Get off your elitist high horse attitude, please. Anime fans are anime fans are anime fans, and more power to any of them actually buying stuff. Am I going to laugh at a Narutard wearing their headband around? Hell no. I might not associate with them, but they certainly get mental props for supporting not only their show in--likely--DVD form, but via merchandise as well.

And that's a hell of a lot more than I can say for most anime-loving entitlement queens.

Also, Gaia does suck. I have some very good friends that are huge addicts and don't fit the stereotype at all, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking the vast, -vast- majority of the site isn't a huge festering cesspool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Mikuru wrote:

I don't.

No one is "representing" me, lord. That's like saying Twilight fans represent me as a bibliophile because they freak out over some of the most terribly written drivel in recent memory. Or that death metal (god forbid) fans represent me as an audiophile. Etc, etc.

Get off your elitist high horse attitude, please. Anime fans are anime fans are anime fans, and more power to any of them actually buying stuff. Am I going to laugh at a Narutard wearing their headband around? Hell no. I might not associate with them, but they certainly get mental props for supporting not only their show in--likely--DVD form, but via merchandise as well.

And that's a hell of a lot more than I can say for most anime-loving entitlement queens.

Also, Gaia does suck. I have some very good friends that are huge addicts and don't fit the stereotype at all, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking the vast, -vast- majority of the site isn't a huge festering cesspool.

Who DOESN'T laugh at people wearing Naruto headbands?
I am an elitist. I admit that. I don't want the next generation of anime fans to be screaming imbeciles.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
I am an elitist. I admit that. I don't want the next generation of anime fans to be screaming imbeciles.

I'm afraid it's too late. These people walk around calling stuff like Slayers and Eva old shit and think the Naruto movies are pinnacles of animation. This is why our anime club favors retro nights, so people can be forced to see how good older animation is (older than they are).
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:

Those "screaming imbeciles" are responsible for the industry doing as well as it is right now. Where do you think Funimation would be if the "screaming imbeciles" hadn't bought up Dragonball-Everything by the box full, or the fans that freaked out over FMA on Adult Swim? If it weren't for "screaming imbeciles" purchasing mainstream titles nonstop we wouldn't have jack. You might want to rethink that elitism if I were you. Even I'm not so puffed up as a "hardcore" fan to think we're the ones providing the industry legs to stand on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Mikuru wrote:

Those "screaming imbeciles" are responsible for the industry doing as well as it is right now. Where do you think Funimation would be if the "screaming imbeciles" hadn't bought up Dragonball-Everything by the box full, or the fans that freaked out over FMA on Adult Swim? If it weren't for "screaming imbeciles" purchasing mainstream titles nonstop we wouldn't have jack. You might want to rethink that elitism if I were you. Even I'm not so puffed up as a "hardcore" fan to think we're the ones providing the industry legs to stand on.

I'm pretty sure that this person wasn't refering to the generation who grew up with DB, and FMA. I was thinking more so the generation who was told that all anime must be free.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

I'm pretty sure that this person wasn't refering to the generation who grew up with DB, and FMA. I was thinking more so the generation who was told that all anime must be free.

If they're going to be getting it for free anyway, at least one can make the effort to have them get it for free from legitimate sources that are profitable (or at the very least, profit-neutral) to the people that own the licenses...and maybe a few more of them will be persuaded to buy something in the end. Which is kind of Lance's entire point.
BizzareJellySoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
Now I don't feel like buying anything from Funimation again.
The Gaia-type anime fans are the ones I loathe. A bunch of screaming teens and pre-teens going "LOL POCKY FOR TEH WIN!!111" and thinking that Naruto is the best anime ever made and that Twilight "SHOULD TOTALLY BE MADE INTO ANIME YOU GUYS".

And no, I don't hate anyone who's ever had a gaia account. The site mentality just makes me go crazy. I wish they had never heard of anime.

And people wonder why stuff like Kaiba never gets licensed.

You said it. Even their so called "seasoned, mature" fans are actually the kind of uptight jerks that no one would ever hang out with because all they do is worship themselves and consider the rest of the world wannabes and sub human compared to them.

And yes, I've had one. But it was when I was new to online culture. Back in the day before Channel inspired sites and I wanted to see a world online at work. Wasn't every kind, really.
BizzareJellySoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
Now I don't feel like buying anything from Funimation again.
The Gaia-type anime fans are the ones I loathe. A bunch of screaming teens and pre-teens going "LOL POCKY FOR TEH WIN!!111" and thinking that Naruto is the best anime ever made and that Twilight "SHOULD TOTALLY BE MADE INTO ANIME YOU GUYS".

And no, I don't hate anyone who's ever had a gaia account. The site mentality just makes me go crazy. I wish they had never heard of anime.

And people wonder why stuff like Kaiba never gets licensed.

Sorry you feel that way.

One of the main reasons we're putting content on Gaia is to attract the next generation of anime fans.

Toonami was the gateway for many an anime fan whom are in their 20s now.

With Toonami gone, what is this generation's Toonami?

The Internet.

We have to cast a wide net to attract the crowds of Toonami's past.

Lance
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy

Um, sir, actually, it would be a BETTER idea to go to other sites, promote your series you've brought over, and then host them on your site. It's going to be hard work, but you should really, and I mean REALLY, study your demographics. I know, not all anime fans are 13 year old whiney crazies, but considering a fact that Gaia attracts attention starved teens and bitter idiots, most of them are best to NOT be shown anime- It'll probably induce a crazy Man Faye craze all over again Anime catgrin.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
..What is wrong with you people? Do you really think one of the largest--probably the largest, now--anime studios in the country doesn't do something as ridiculously common as demographic research? Do you really think it's a good idea to make people jump around to sites instead of viewing anime where they hang out for hours on end anyway?

Don't even get me started on this "we don't want them watching anime lol" attitude of yours, god knows enough other elitist prats in this topic are vomiting up the same bile.

Again: If these "attention starved teens" weren't the ones buying up DBZ and Naruto and Death Note and blah blah blah merchandise by the truckload, this industry would be even worse off than it is now.

I'm sorry for coming off a bit harsher than usual in this post, but my god. It blows my mind that anyone remotely decent could make these kinds of comments.
BizzareJellySoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mikuru wrote:

I'm afraid it's too late. These people walk around calling stuff like Slayers and Eva old shit and think the Naruto movies are pinnacles of animation. This is why our anime club favors retro nights, so people can be forced to see how good older animation is (older than they are).

And thus why I loathe the newer generation. It's all about the look and the need for being popular, not for being who you really are. These fans aren't going for the true essence of Anime- to enjoy a form of entertainment for the sake of being entertained by it- they're going for it making them looking "unique" and "special"- So then they'll go to JAPON and then some explicit obscenities.

Sorry for being bitter, but you know, there are people like this in the world.
BizzareJellySoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
..What is wrong with you people? Do you really think one of the largest--probably the largest, now--anime studios in the country doesn't do something as ridiculously common as demographic research? Do you really think it's a good idea to make people jump around to sites instead of viewing anime where they hang out for hours on end anyway?

Don't even get me started on this "we don't want them watching anime lol" attitude of yours, god knows enough other elitist prats in this topic are vomiting up the same bile.

Again: If these "attention starved teens" weren't the ones buying up DBZ and Naruto and Death Note and blah blah blah merchandise by the truckload, this industry would be even worse off than it is now.

I'm sorry for coming off a bit harsher than usual in this post, but my god. It blows my mind that anyone remotely decent could make these kinds of comments.

I'm going to apolgize too. I'd wish that the anime community was as insightful as you or anyone else remotely wise and intellegent here (me excluded). But let's just deal with the cards we have. We're not at all that bad, but we were just talking about the trendsters and the morons. Besides, one DBZ fan has to be at least half a brain smart than some "Gaiaidiot" (not including your friends). They have their own community too, and I'm sure they're the ones buying DBZ merchandise (to be honest, I have The Return of Broly).
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
As long as it brings in income for FUNi, it really shouldn't matter that they're on Gaia.

You gotta give them credit for being aggressive with getting on legal streaming sites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4