• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2009 - Bandai Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I am a big sub only release defender, but will admit I am disappointed with the lack of a dub on the Lucky Star OVA.

I really enjoyed both tracks on the Lucky Star series, it was great to listen to the sub, and wonder how they would handle the same sequence in the dub. They did an awesome job. There was a sequence where Konata was telling Kagami on a bus what her email address was. The sub/dub tracks were greatly different, but the main gist and nuances of the joke came through perfectly for both audiences.

Like Beck, Black Lagoon, Pani Poni Dash, and Haruhi I really love hearing a great dub that obviously took a ton of work to produce.

The sales figures on Lucky Star must have really been well below expectations for them to cancel the #6 LE, and not do the dub on the OVA.

As a fan of visual novels, I am very happy with finally getting Sola and True Tears. I was seriously considering buying these under BVU's draconian pricing.

With Visual novels, I think the extra layer of abstraction (animation plus subtitling) makes it easier for me to get into and enjoy the story.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If that were the case I would instantly purchase that. I'd pay ten, even twenty more dollars just so there would be an English audio.

Its not the same without Wendee Lee or any other of the voice actors. But hopefully Bandai will re-release it with a English audio eventually.

Well, I definitely would not. The volumes are already expensive as they are. However, regarding the single OVA, I would expect a dub at $15 for 30 freaking mins...
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
I have to say, I'm happy to hear Code Geass and Gurren Lagann manga are moving along. I really enjoyed the first Code Geass light novel! The Lelouch and Suzaku manga series were both interesting as well, though I have yet to pick up the Nunally one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
I'm pretty disappointed that the Lucky Star OAV isn't getting a dub seeing as how good the series' English dub was.

No kidding though i wasnt susprised. They did the same thing with the original Gundam movies which had fans on the wrong end with them in those days.Got a feeling the otakus will be screaming bloody murder for not having adub version of the oav when the TV dub is good.

Also glad to see they doing a box set for 00. Probably their most decent dub since gundam wing.

(Which is no susprise since it's being taken care of by Ocean Studios who's been doing gundam series since the first one and being voiced by gundam vetran brad (Light Yagami) Swaile.Though i was sure matt hill would VA as setsuna though.)

ironacly the first season had a similar feeling to wing though it's 2nd season is somewhat like Zeta Gundam,unfortunately the gundam themselves for this series pale in comparision to Wing Zero & Strike Freedom though Exia is cool enough. Wonder how will it's manga counterpart do????

I read the Nightmare of Nunally and it's really a new twist to the series,especially since it's now Lelouch's sister who has the geass power instead. Seriously recomend this manga cause of the twist and i know nana fans will like it too

Does this mean they'll create OAV's of Nightmare of Nunally??? Cause i sure hope so.would really love to see that if it happens.

Last edited by jr240483 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
Gewürztraminer wrote:
The sales figures on Lucky Star must have really been well below expectations for them to cancel the #6 LE, and not do the dub on the OVA.

I'm a huge Lucky Star fan, but I'm not going to buy seven separate DVDs. That's just too expensive for one anime, even one as great as this. I'll wait until the box set comes out.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
In case the right people might be listening, I'll chime in on the Lucky Star OVA needing a dub.

I also was very surprised at how good the LS dub was, and I've literally almost lost any ability to listen to dubs other than the handful of truly excellent ones. LS was a case where the writing and performances make each version stand alone as very entertaining.

Maybe the series didn't do as well as expected, but everyone who did buy it would have paid $25 for a dubbed OVA just to complete the set, besides the fact that the OVA is excellent.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Why the flip are they not dubbing the Lucky Star OVA!? The dub for the Lucky Star series is so good! Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3