• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to be Acquired by Navarre Corp

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguebfl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Well, FUNi doesn't take pains to "advertise" the fact they have improved.

I would dissagree, I'm prittu sure the new work speeks for it self, like Yu Yu and Full Metal Alcmest. and they have done a lot to promot these
Toboe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:16 am Reply with quote
Oh no this means fullmetal alchemist/dragonball z/fruits basket/blue gender/kodocha/etc etc etc will be ruined!

They're going to change all the voice casts of every show!

Everyone's going to be fired and they're going to replace them all with evil 4kids-style executives who just want to slice up my favorite show!

these new owners hate anime and bought funimation just to shut it down!

addendum:

i hate funimation they suck look at what happened to dbz

Anything else? Did I get all the wild speculation, outdated repetitive FUNimation complaining and crazy fanboy logic?

Something tells me Navarre is interested in money. Call that a crazy wild guess, but since that's true in.. oh... 100 percent of corporate cases where one corporation buys another, I'm gonna say maybe it's true this time.

I'm also pretty certain that the press release states that upper management won't change. Which means there won't be any major changes in FUNimation's product output. Which makes perfect sense; why would one major company buy a smaller one just to do things like swap voice actors around and change cover art? That makes no sense. I'd put money on the fact that you probably won't see a single change from this.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:

It probably meant that it would feel kind of 'weird' to suddenly have an anime licensor in your city (the poster of that remark lives in Minnesota).

Except, why *would* Navarre shift the actual Funimation recording studios and other offices *to* Minnesota? Hell, most likely, Funimation (and anime) would be just one of Navarre's many subdivisions, with *very* little impact on the overall corporate culture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
biliano*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:14 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
I'm also pretty certain that the press release states that upper management won't change. Which means there won't be any major changes in FUNimation's product output. Which makes perfect sense; why would one major company buy a smaller one just to do things like swap voice actors around and change cover art? That makes no sense. I'd put money on the fact that you probably won't see a single change from this.

I 100% agree with you, Toboe.

I don't understand why Romuska said that FUNimation sucks. Sucks!?!? Since when? Just like Bamboo posted, FUNimation is a great company that produces great products, just like ADV, Bandai, Geneon/Pioneer, CPM, Viz, and the others.

Navarre saw the opportunity to expand their market into the red-hot anime industry, and what better way to expand by acquiring the company that licenses 3 of the hottest and most recognizable franchises in anime - Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Dragonball/Dragonball Z. A similarity to this happened a few weeks ago with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Dan Gilbert, the owner of Detroit-based Quicken Loans, had a desire to expand his business aspirations into the sports market, and what better choice than to buy majority control of the franchise that houses one of the hottest properties in the sports market (LeBron James).

Anime companies are no different from sports franchises, law firms, financial institutions, and so on. Corporate acquisitions and mergers happen all the time; that's the nature of business. Deal with it.

Last edited by biliano* on Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't make sense for Navarre to buy Funi because it is a successful business in a growing area, and then change everything that made Funi a success. But the counter is that a new owner wants to put its own individual stamp on an acquisition and can't help but tinker.

My own personal experience with being in companies that've been bought up by another is that this is a great time to polish up your resume and refresh your network of contacts. You'll probably need them either because you get laid off or you can't stand the new owners and want to quit.
(^_*)
Juniper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
kraid wrote:
I hope that this also does not mean that staffing such as the voice actors will change, especially if there is a project going on. There is nothing more I hate in an Anime then having different voice actors for the same character due to change in staffing, and not because the Anime character is a different age and such. Case in point, when Funi started to dub DBZ, it had different voice actors than the Ocean group, but at least Funi will be rereleasing the first 2 DBZ sagas with the voice actors of the rest of the series.

I highly, highly doubt the voice actors would change. Honestly, I don't think Navarre gives a damn about anime enough to want to go in and change the voice actors and the cover art and all that. They see anime as a hot market commodity, and they want it. They're not even changing the upper management.

Usually, when a company buys a smaller company, nothing really changes. All that changes is the very upper echelons of money flow. Navarre bought FUNimation because it's successful. Why would they want to jeopardize that?

Oh, and Romuska, grow up. The "OMG it's so cool to hate FUNi!" mentality is no longer the ignorantly hip internet thing to do.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Although, it's vaguely illegal too.

anti-monopoly laws decided back in the 50's Production, Distribution, and Exhibition/Sales had to be seperate.

Now we've got Production and Ditribution under the same company.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
roguebfl wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

I would dissagree, I'm prittu sure the new work speeks for it self, like Yu Yu and Full Metal Alcmest. and they have done a lot to promot these

Well, it seems a vast number of Otaku never got the memo.
Raja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Best Buy? Target? I suppose it's also weird for me to think that 3M's headquarters are about 5-10 minutes (driving, depending on traffic) away from my house.
Well, if it's weird for you to think that, then how weird should it be for me, one of my best friends WORKS at 3M headquarters! Heck, my DAD worked there for 40 years! Very Happy

(and then he retired, and then they phased out the product he worked on. He was a little bitter.)
KLS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, was greatly impressed by the licensing and distribution of Fruits Basket, and, currently, Fullmetal Alchemist. I hope that Funimation will still continue to produce quality work after this change, and I don't doubt that they will.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
Now we've got Production and Distribution under the same company.

Bandai, Geneon and ADV all distribute their own products directly.

What about companies that only do direct sales (like Dell).

I don't know anything about the US anti monopoly laws, but I suspect that there's something you're overlooking or over simplifying.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:

anti-monopoly laws decided back in the 50's Production, Distribution, and Exhibition/Sales had to be seperate.

which I'm quire certain there have been various revisions to these laws since then

Furthermore, it cannot be a monopoly since there is still competion from ADV, Bandai, Geneon, etc. Futhermore, Funi produced and distributed on their own before this. I highly doubt that so many entertaiment companies would be so blantantly breaking anti-trust laws.
roguebfl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
roguebfl wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Well, it seems a vast number of Otaku never got the memo.

why worry these are the same otaku that think all DUBs are evil and subs are the only way to go.
roguebfl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:

Ok it is Not illegal nor has ever been illegal to be a Monoply in the US. It is just once you are a monoply there are cerrtain rules of behavour you must obide by that you didn't have to when you wheren't.

It has never been a problem to Production, Distribution, and Exhibition/Sales, all in the same compeny, it simply when the monoply busters brake up compeny that is the easyest place to break them.
Goshin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
To say FUNimation is monopolizing the market is downright laughable. You have other friendly competitors putting out the same product - Anime.

Also, how will this effect the joint venture ADV, Geneon, and FUNi currently have? I mean, did either of the other companies know about this, or was this just as a surprise to everyone else?

Personally, I'm going to safely assume nothing will change, and FUNi will continue to produce quality titles, for years to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4