• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon's 5 Main Voice Actresses Reunite for Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animefan000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
skchai1 wrote:
Fukami and Hisakawa were two of the best singers among seiyuu during that time.

I have most of Aya Hisakawa's albums and Aya Mail 3 on VHS. Her solo CDs and videos seem to be relatively hard to find on English-language retail sites (like Anime Jungle) compared to, say, Kikuko Inoue, Hekiru Shiina, Mariko Kouda, etc. Of course there's always Yahoo! Auctions Japan for the hard to find stuff.

I heard of it already I wish I went but I cant: I have exams and I dont live in Japan Anime cry

True Rika and Aya have the best singing voices but Michie has a really good voice too

@ fuuma_monou: You have Aya Hisakawa-san's songs from her CDs!! Your lucky!

Anyway Im new Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
animefan000 wrote:

True Rika and Aya have the best singing voices but Michie has a really good voice too

The Sumire version of the Sakura Taisen theme song is great. Not sure which CDs have it, but I first heard it on disc 2 of the second game (Dreamcast port; dunno how many discs the Saturn version had).

Quote:

@ fuuma_monou: You have Aya Hisakawa-san's songs from her CDs!! Shocked I've been trying to look for Aya Song for 2 years and I only have songs from random anime & Sailor Moon Anime cry .

I started buying her CDs in the 90s, so they were still in print. Her 4th and 5th albums only had one printing each, so they're harder to find now, or at least more expensive if you do find them compared to her first three.
animefan000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
animefan000 wrote:

The Sumire version of the Sakura Taisen theme song is great. Not sure which CDs have it, but I first heard it on disc 2 of the second game (Dreamcast port; dunno how many discs the Saturn version had).

Quote:

@ fuuma_monou: You have Aya Hisakawa-san's songs from her CDs!! Shocked I've been trying to look for Aya Song for 2 years and I only have songs from random anime & Sailor Moon Anime cry .

I started buying her CDs in the 90s, so they were still in print. Her 4th and 5th albums only had one printing each, so they're harder to find now, or at least more expensive if you do find them compared to her first three.

Michie songs are really good as Rei too. I wish the senshi sang Moon Revenge this year after 11 years Cool

True, and finding her songs are harder than current singers nowdays. Ill have to wait for another 2 years to get them from yahoo jp. or amazon
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
I wonder if someone will tape this event, I am really excited to read this. I like the voice actors a lot, Usagi's in particular did a great job. I hope that they rerelease the series in NA, they should start from StarS if they do. Just because that one will sell the most. Very Happy

I hope this is somehow recorded as well, as well as fansubbed, and somehow distributed on the web via torrent or something. I'd BUY a subtitled version of this event!

When I saw this article my eyes lit up and I was super excited to learn of the Inner Senshi being reunited for at least this event.

No one's thought of this, but I think it would be HILARIOUS if Keiko Han and Artemis' seiyuu were to show up especially as a surprise to the audience, and do a sort of comedy routine, or maybe scene re-enactments live. I know that there are going to be episode screenings, and the Cats are likely going to be in there, but seeing it live would add more value to the experience, IMO.

I just wanna hear Usagi say "Rei-chan no baka! Hidoi-desu!! *sob sob*" live on stage. That would make my day.

To all that said that the seiyuu should song as well as HIMEKA, I agree. I have (unfortunately bootlegged... SORRY!! lol) most of the Sailor Moon OST and I love the Sailor Moon Memorial Song Box, which showcases all the vocal songs from SM.

animefan000, welcome to the group! I hope you have fun here. We're all fun loving people, and I hope and I know you'll enjoy your stay.

Thank you ANN for always keeping on top of all the best anime news. I check this site many times daily, and most of the time you don't disappoint. = )

And finally, sort of off topic for a moment:

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N ! ! ! ! ! !

Is anyone going to cosplay lol and go trick or treating? I personally stopped doing it when I was 15 (am 25 now) but for some people it doesn't matter.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I doubt it. They're still smarting from what Dic did to Sailor Moon which, if I recall my rumors correctly, not even Naoki Takeuchi liked. The day Sailor Moon comes back to the U.S., will be the same day 'Do You Remember Love' comes.

Incidentally, the Sailor-Scout-actresses-gathering on the 6th...? That's my 20th birthday Anime smile

but they can't blame DIC for that. Anime in general was still a test run during the 90's and unfortunately got a bad rep due to series like mad bull 34 and ninja scroll.

The DIC version was the first anime i seen and it's still my fav to this day.

Sure,their edits was deep and wont be accepted now,but it was definately necessary in the 90's and i think cause of it's run on the USA network during the 90's as well as toonami's run of DBZ and gundam wing made anime what it is today cause it showed that it had anime for all audiences,and cause of that it same a cult classic for young girls during it's brief return when adv relicense it & R as well as some other releases from DIC

t was too bad adv never did an uncut version of season 1 and R. though at least Pionner did S and SuperS but was disappointed they never did stars. Why was that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually watching the DIC version and still love the hell out of it. I'm also someone who couldn't care less about edits and changes, so take that as you will. I tried watching a Japanese version one time, but it's way too weird for me and so that's a couple hundred dollars I'd save on those uncut boxsets. I do, however, plan on getting those ADV and Geneon singles someday...which will cost me hundreds of dollars Sad

I'm actually a little unsure about whether I want a rerelease because I know they'd change all the names and terminology to match the Japanese and absolutely destroy the nostalgia (the biggest reason I'd buy it). At the same time, I f-ing want cheap Sailor Moon on my shelf. Oh, the conundrum! I still don't think 2 dub tracks, a Serena track and an Usagi track, if you will, would be completely out of the question.

Quote:
It was too bad adv never did an uncut version of season 1 and R. though at least Pionner did S and SuperS but was disappointed they never did stars. Why was that?

As far as I know, all the gender swapping that happens in Stars wasn't seen as very kid friendly back then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coldspider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm actually watching the DIC version and still love the hell out of it. I'm also someone who couldn't care less about edits and changes, so take that as you will. I tried watching a Japanese version one time, but it's way too weird for me and so that's a couple hundred dollars I'd save on those uncut boxsets. I do, however, plan on getting those ADV and Geneon singles someday...which will cost me hundreds of dollars Sad

I'm actually a little unsure about whether I want a rerelease because I know they'd change all the names and terminology to match the Japanese and absolutely destroy the nostalgia (the biggest reason I'd buy it). At the same time, I f-ing want cheap Sailor Moon on my shelf. Oh, the conundrum! I still don't think 2 dub tracks, a Serena track and an Usagi track, if you will, would be completely out of the question.

I agree.While a faithful redub of the series is all well and good,I have to say I wouldn't be that interested in buying a boxset if that was indeed Funimation's approach to the English version.

And ultimately I think that's the balance Funimation has to work with if a re-release of Sailor Moon is going to have any sort of success.Obviously they have to appease both the hardcore fans and play on the casual fans' nostalgia and try to sell it to both sides.

Getting the hardcore fans seems easy enough.I think it's safe to say all they really want is a proper DVD release (boxsets of course),with the original Japanese track and English subtitles.And I think the best way to attract the casual fans is to emulate the DiC's version of Sailor Moon,but I believe all that Funimation really has to do is keep the name changes that were in put in place by DiC.(i.e. 'Serena','Darien','Molly',and yes, even 'Maxfield Stanton') Other than that,everything else gets translated faithfully into English.

But like I said before,it'd be amazing if Funimation can gather all five main english voice actresses for the redub.(again,from DiC's original dub) If Funimation can actually pull that off,you can put me down for a pre-order of the dang boxset.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
My money has always been waiting for a complete set, uncut, fully restored and redubbed, of all series, and movies of this franchise for years. Wink

This, 100% this.

Seconded.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm actually watching the DIC version and still love the hell out of it. "..."

And ultimately I think that's the balance Funimation has to work with if a re-release of Sailor Moon is going to have any sort of success.Obviously they have to appease both the hardcore fans and play on the casual fans' nostalgia and try to sell it to both sides. "..."

Indeed I'm sure their sales would definitely be high. I have customers and co-workers alike (at Best Buy) ask me about Sailor Moon all the time, whenever the topic of anime comes up ("I can't believe we don't have it! I would buy it on the spot.") 'Yeah...me too' is all I can think, haha.

Like coldspider suggested they could do two Dub tracks, but if someone is looking for the "faithful" form of the show, why would they be watching the Dub in the first place? Laughing

Being uncut is a definite must, but I think American fans won't really care even if the American voice actors are changed to reflect today's talent (I doubt the old VA's have trained their voices since the last time they did it lol) as long as the American terminology and names are left intact. As a Bonus, if they dub the lines with original names and terms, that would be sweet for semi-purist "on the fence" fans who just refuse to watch it in Japanese (for some reason, hence "semi-purist").

I think the most cost-effective solution would be have a semi-Westernized Dub track; start from scratch with everything in the American dub, leaving the Western names but retranslating parts of the script that were omitted for censorship reasons. This way the nostalgia of names, transformation sequences, and spells remains, while the original intended meaning of many scenes is conveyed as well.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
In my experience, the fastest and easiest way to earn the contempt of the Sailor Moon fandom is to refer to the characters with their dub names. Take that for what it's worth.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
In my experience, the fastest and easiest way to earn the contempt of the Sailor Moon fandom is to refer to the characters with their dub names. Take that for what it's worth.

Not necessarily. Look how many people in this forum have been using dub names - I'd consider them to be Sailor Moon fans.
Speaking for myself though...whenever I hear 'Sailor Scouts' or 'Darien' or other dub names, it bugs me. If I'm talking Sailor Moon with a friend and they use dub names, I'll usually respond with "Yeah, Usagi is really cute, I agree"

I do like the idea though of having three audio tracks on a potential re-release of Sailor Moon - one Japanese, for the purists, a new dub, for those who want a more 'pure' Sailor Moon, but don't want subs, and then tack on the old Dic dub for those who want their nostalgia rush. Don't know how feasible it would be, but it's a good idea.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Won't work to just tack on the old Dic dub due to their being more scenes and episodes that haven't been dub by them back then due to censorship. Its going to need a new dub to cover all that.

I'm the opposite, it bugs me when a group of peeps say the dub names then one or two use the Japanese names. Its like with Pokemon names with me in that situation and can be confusing.
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I would be all for new box sets. (especially of Stars) I really like subs, so dubs are of no interest to me. I am so excited!

I remember getting all the DIC Sailor Moon VHS tapes and going ga ga over them. Then I got the DVDs with subtitles, and I just gave away all my old DIC dubs.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Not necessarily. Look how many people in this forum have been using dub names - I'd consider them to be Sailor Moon fans.
Speaking for myself though...whenever I hear 'Sailor Scouts' or 'Darien' or other dub names, it bugs me. If I'm talking Sailor Moon with a friend and they use dub names, I'll usually respond with "Yeah, Usagi is really cute, I agree"

I'm drawing a distinction here between people who like Sailor Moon, or have fond memories of it, and the Sailor Moon fandom.

Really, I think they want to distance themselves from the DiC dub, given that by modern standards, it wasn't a very good job. (And I don't think there's the Speed Racer exemption applies here. Maybe because the American fandom predates the American broadcast?) I doubt sales will be hurt that badly by people not recognizing the Japanese names, compared to anime fans who would reject it as not being "the real thing." (I can't prove The King of Harts and coldspider are in a minority, but I think they are. If I'm misjudging the number of people that would opt out due to loss of nostalgia value -- and keep in mind it's still the same show -- that could throw this off.) If viewer confusion is really a problem, they could even include a chart inside or on the back of the case explaining DiC's name changes and matching the original names to the first dub's.

(Though sadly, I can all too easily imagine a "mainstream" Sailor Moon fan saying "Ugh! I don't want 'the authentic version!' I want what I saw!" in my little sister's voice.)

And if they're trying to reach out to people who aren't hardcore anime fans or people who mainly know the original dub...well, if Naruto's anything to go by, I think modern audiences can deal with Japanese names.

(Gah, too many parenthetical notes. Razz I need to organize my thoughts better.)
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I always felt that Shinohara Emi had the best singing voice of the Inner Senshi. It was just so much richer than the others, and sounded so much different than the much higher pitched and stereotypically Japanese idol singing of the others. Particularly noticeable in her renditions of "Ave Maria" and "The Christmas Song." That was the first (and still only) version of "Ave Maria" that I actually like. I don't even like my favorite singer's version of it. (Mylene Farmer)

That said, I still really like the others (I like the high voices too), and think Hisakawa was second, followed probably by Michie (as long as she doesn't seen in English), and Fukami Rika. Mitsuishi Kotono is fun, but given that Usagi's voice in general tended to grate on me, it sometimes does in songs as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4