• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Confirms New Anime to Launch on February 14

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Emerje wrote:
FLCL is really interesting since it means they actually had to license it a second time from a different company now that FUNi has it. That certainly does give more credit to the idea of another FUNi title like Soul Eater taking the midnight spot.

Emerje

Well aren't broadcast and DVD rights different? IIRC the broadcast rights from the last licensor haven't run out yet (and they said they weren't willing to part with FLCL anytime soon) out so they wouldn't have had to get it from funi (yet)

I'm kind of hoping it's new and interesting and not FMA or Inuyasha or Soul Eater. Maybe a comedy to replace Shin Chan. Or something really unexpected like Ouran or The Wallflower

Sojitz never approved US TV rights for it's lineup soo it's unlikely that Funimation will be allowed to air any Sojitz release of 2006-2007 also, ADV/Section23 still maintians the royalities of the dubs it produced. So it would also need thier clearance as well.
Gecko Moria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
What if its Vampire Knight?????

I am thinking its Soul Eater < That would suck..

But I think One Piece would best fit this but whatever.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
In Japan, maybe. In the US, no. Bleach skews older. CN tracks all the major demographics for the shows even though they don't report them. Naruto and One Piece do not have the numbers in the 18+ demographic or they would have been on [as] long ago.

It's all a matter of marketing, nothing more.

One Piece got the horrible 4Kids dub, which drove away the older crowd. Would you honestly think that One Piece would have an [as] demographic after that horrible dub which altered it specifically to make it a kid's show by American standards?

Naruto got put on Toonami. While not as butchered as One Piece, obviously it was put there to be aimed towards a younger crowd.

Bleach got put on [adult swim] from the start.

It's a bit unfair to label both Naruto and One Piece as kids shows but not Bleach. All three of them are kids shows. They just got marketed a bit differently.
Kylemakk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh please oh please bring back S-cry-ed! Just kidding.

I'm really anxious to see what they bring in to the mix. I've never seen Soul Eater, but it looks a bit like Bleach. I'm sure I'm wrong.

I'd love to see Black Lagoon or Claymore on American TV, but I know they'd have to cut them up and edit them so much that they'd only be able to run the intros and credits. lol

I'm choosing to stay positive and hope that it just doesn't suck. And although they keep airing what seems like the same old "tired" anime, most are great shows and perhaps will serve well in recruiting some more fans to the medium. I know those shows were airing back when I first became a fan. This 30 year old owes my anime habit to [as]'s introduction...and my wife hates the impact on my wallet.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
Emerje wrote:
FLCL is really interesting since it means they actually had to license it a second time from a different company now that FUNi has it. That certainly does give more credit to the idea of another FUNi title like Soul Eater taking the midnight spot.

Emerje

Well aren't broadcast and DVD rights different? IIRC the broadcast rights from the last licensor haven't run out yet (and they said they weren't willing to part with FLCL anytime soon) out so they wouldn't have had to get it from funi (yet)

I'm kind of hoping it's new and interesting and not FMA or Inuyasha or Soul Eater. Maybe a comedy to replace Shin Chan. Or something really unexpected like Ouran or The Wallflower

Sojitz never approved US TV rights for it's lineup soo it's unlikely that Funimation will be allowed to air any Sojitz release of 2006-2007 also, ADV/Section23 still maintians the royalities of the dubs it produced. So it would also need thier clearance as well.

What Sojitz series did I name? AS still has the TV rights for FLCL and I assume the terms are still the same until the contract runs out, but the rest are Funimation series.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

Seriously, though... 4 episodes of Bleach a night? -_-

It's not that surprising really. Bleach is almost always in the top 3 ratings for that night, and it's either fairly recent reruns of Bleach or reruns of shows that have been on reruns for years. I'd guess that they probably have a better shot at getting people to stick around for 4 episodes of Bleach than anything else that they have just because it's more recent. That and I'm sure that after about 1 or 2 AM they really don't care because nothing is going to do too well.
kitsugami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Brotherhood dub, the last I heard (late November-ish) was there was eighteen episodes they had English tracks on. Now I don't know if that meant completed episodes or just, "Hey, cool, half the characters are speaking something everyone can understand, now". I know that doesn't mean it's a-okay for television launch, but the dub is well underway; I just don't know if I want to wait until the first season comes out or a little longer to see if they release more packed into one.
I'm not sure how much I care about the dub, though. Excited, sure, but I could live with Romi, Rie, Megumi and Miki forever and be just as happy.

I had no clue FLCL was on/was going to be on [AS]. That's actually something I'd consider slinking downstairs (I wish I had cable in my room, again) to watch.

I sorta hope that Soul Eater isn't the new anime, but it's the furthest in it's English dub, as far as I know. It'd be cool to have Final Act on there, though. I haven't even seen a quarter of the first anime (let alone read the manga!) but it's something I'd watch, given the chance.
I don't watch a lot of new stuff, so I can't throw any suggestions out. D:
kitsugami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Brotherhood dub, the last I heard (late November-ish) was there was eighteen episodes they had English tracks on. Now I don't know if that meant completed episodes or just, "Hey, cool, half the characters are speaking something everyone can understand, now". I know that doesn't mean it's a-okay for television launch, but the dub is well underway; I just don't know if I want to wait until the first season comes out or a little longer to see if they release more packed into one.
I'm not sure how much I care about the dub, though. Excited, sure, but I could live with Romi, Rie, Megumi and Miki forever and be just as happy.

I had no clue FLCL was on/was going to be on [AS]. That's actually something I'd consider slinking downstairs (I wish I had cable in my room, again) to watch.

I sorta hope that Soul Eater isn't the new anime, but it's the furthest in it's English dub, as far as I know. It'd be cool to have Final Act on there, though. I haven't even seen a quarter of the first anime (let alone read the manga!) but it's something I'd watch, given the chance.
I don't watch a lot of new stuff, so I can't throw any suggestions out. D:
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kylemakk wrote:

I'd love to see Black Lagoon or Claymore on American TV, but I know they'd have to cut them up and edit them so much that they'd only be able to run the intros and credits. lol

Black Lagoon aired in the USA, anyway.

I'm thinking that it's either one of the two usual suspects or Soul Eater as well.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Also, given that the new show starts on February 14 I'm fully expecting an AS bump saying that they love anime fans so much that they got us a new show for Valentine's Day.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It's a romance shojo! Parakiss! Laughing
joystick1101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Gecko Moria wrote:
What if its Vampire Knight?????

too soon.
johnmora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Eden of the East showed up on Adult Swim at some point.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's relevant, but in Japan, One Piece airs at 9:30 AM on Sundays, right after Dragon Ball Kai. Naruto airs at 7:30 PM on Thursdays. Bleach...uh, I'm not sure, but I think it's Tuesdays at 6:00 PM.

I was under the impression Bleach skewed the oldest, but I don't know where that impression came from.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Eden of the East showed up on Adult Swim at some point.

A Noitamina anime on American TV? Now that would be interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11