• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - River City Revival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

gatotsu911 wrote:
Alas, poor Spike Spencer. The man just doesn't get any respect.

He did a superb job as Arakune in BlazBlue, if you ask me. I hope roles like those will allow him to get out of being typecast as wimpy guys like Shinji Ikari, Hanataro Yamada, or Rolo (whatever his last name is).

Now now, Nall always was a bit of a smartass to begin with in the Lunar series; Working Titles just always made it sound more kid friendly. I'm sure Spike can play a perfectly sounding smartass in this one, and he's also playing a villain voice as well. It shows just how much range he actually has.

Haven't played BlazBlue yet, hoping to.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I too am concerned to hear comparison's being made to FFXII.

John Casey wrote:
As I recall, gambits were an option...

The battles were so simple and so repetitive though that turning gambits off was actually more tedious. If I wanted to perform an endless series of repetitive tasks that require no thinking or skill I would get a job.
Yeah, we get it. You hate FF12. And we're telling you to turn the default options off before you play the game. It's still a good Final Fantasy. Like an English dub default on a hybrid DVD, you must turn the training wheels off to get to the good part.

Uh...okay. You seem to be criticizing me for repeating myself here. That seems kind of odd because I've only made one comment. I explained that I don't like FFXII and I didn't like it even with gambits off. If anyone is being redundant it's you. You're repeating that you can turn the gambits off. Yes...That is the very point I was responding too. I understand that you can turn them off. I did that. I still didn't like XII. Sorry but you're going to have to accept that. I don't dislike XII because I 'played it wrong'. Some people just don't agree with you.

Quote:
Get ready for 13, that shit is a linear/eyecandy/RPG with training wheels (only thirteen chapters) that is suited for their (now-a days) targeted audience.

I'm actually one of the two people on the internet who hasn't formed an iron clad opinion on FFXIII yet. Hence, this comment which seems to be attempting to ridicule me for liking it is totally pointless. As is any attempt to discredit me as a 'now a days' FF fan. I like V-VII, IX and X. I dislike IV, VIII and XII. Again, deal with it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
For some reason, I didn't like X that much. I guess I just expected more hoopla at the end of the game instead of some handful of folks singing around a campfire. Or maybe it was that I couldn't get into the character of Tidus that well. Maybe because he came off as kind of a brat. Or maybe because his voice actor was so flipping annoying I wanted to kick him in the squall so he would shut the hell up.

Did that game even have the Japanese option at the time? Huh. Not goin' back to check.

For me, XII was just boring. Yeah, war, betrayal, rebellion, yadda yadda. I'm dicking around caves and dungeons having vaguely anything to do with rebelling or warring. I'm traveling along a desert with characters a little more interesting than my street urchin self. I level over five levels just so that I can breeze through the story only to get killed by a high level monster that I could not avoid and I had to restart from six levels back. Hell no.

I'll stick with Dragon Age and Persona.

Also, sorry to distract, but has anyone noticed how boring games like Fallout 3 eventually become? I mean, it seems like all you do is wander. Through rubble. For hours. Finding nothing. I mean, you don't even risk starving to death. Sure you have to fend off monsters and raiders and it's fun taking off their heads from a distance, but after the zillionth head shot, with the help of that VATS system, it just gets kinda dull. Sure the armor's nice, but what about going out searching for food for starving people, eg. me, on a regular basis? Shouldn't this be a wider concern? Yeah, fresh water's nice, but a proper nutrition should be taken into account as well, right?

I'm getting too old for video games, aren't I?
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Better question: Why the heck do you play them? I mean, if you find them so tedious...
I... don't? That was your post I was quoting, not mine. I enjoyed FF XII.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
People who are up in arms over Dudley's voice are very, very stupid. His American voice never sounded like his Japanese voice, because he never had an American voice. Complain once you've heard his Japanese voice.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Better question: Why the heck do you play them? I mean, if you find them so tedious...

Oh...okay. I just assumed if you like one JRPG you probably played JRPGs in general at least to some extent. If not then of course that's cool. They're not for everyone. I don't feel the same way as you do though which is why I do generally like them.
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
People who are up in arms over Dudley's voice are very, very stupid. His American voice never sounded like his Japanese voice, because he never had an American voice. Complain once you've heard his Japanese voice.

Wait, what?

So I hallucinated the English VA in my copies of SF3? I honestly can't figure out what you're trying to say here.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Oh...okay. I just assumed if you like one JRPG you probably played JRPGs in general at least to some extent. If not then of course that's cool. They're not for everyone. I don't feel the same way as you do though which is why I do generally like them.
I do play and enjoy a lot of RPGs, Japanese or otherwise. I don't find them tedious (otherwise I wouldn't play them). Again, I was quoting your post:
ikillchicken wrote:
The battles were so simple and so repetitive though that turning gambits off was actually more tedious. If I wanted to perform an endless series of repetitive tasks that require no thinking or skill I would get a job.
Quite implicit in the whole idea of levelling RPGs is the requirement to fight a bunch of low-level monsters in order to tackle tougher bosses. My point was that if you find this tedious, why would you play them in the first place? Hence my original reply to said original post.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
lso, with all of the PSP ports of awesome old RPGs finally making it to the USA, who at Konami do I have to sleep with to get a North American release for Suikoden I and II on PSP?

You could buy Suikoden I off the PlayStation Network store to play on your PSP in the meantime. It's been there for a while now. Maybe someday they'll add II. Smile

Chrno2 wrote:
Man, why do they keep adding to SFIV? I thought they had all the characters set. The game is already months old now.

They aren't. This isn't downloadable content. Super Street Fighter IV is a new game. Or rather, it's an updated version of the original game. It's coming out in April.

ikillchicken wrote:
edzieba wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm pretty sure edzieba meant they don't find JRPGs tedious, not that they don't play them.

Shale wrote:
Monster in a box wrote:

Wait, what?

So I hallucinated the English VA in my copies of SF3? I honestly can't figure out what you're trying to say here.

I believe Shale is trying to say that there is no "American" voice for Dudley because the Japanese recording was in English. There was no re-recording in English for America. Street Fighter IV has dubbed voices available, and it's what they use in the previews. So whatever people are hearing is the English voice. The Japanese voice, speaking English, will likely be different.

...I think that made sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Quite implicit in the whole idea of levelling RPGs is the requirement to fight a bunch of low-level monsters in order to tackle tougher bosses. My point was that if you find this tedious, why would you play them in the first place? Hence my original reply to said original post.

Okay...you're being pretty ridiculous here. Obviously I do not find that tedious in the case of most RPGs. You've taken a statement I obviously made in reference to FFXII specifically and for no reason whatsoever, assumed that I must feel the same way about all RPGs. I can't imagine why you would make such an assumption since as you yourself pointed out...why would I even play RPGs then?

I like a lot of RPGs. I don't like FFXII though because I find the battle system, Gambits or not, simple and tedious. I don't know why this is so tough for some people to understand.
Shale

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I believe Shale is trying to say that there is no "American" voice for Dudley because the Japanese recording was in English. There was no re-recording in English for America. Street Fighter IV has dubbed voices available, and it's what they use in the previews. So whatever people are hearing is the English voice. The Japanese voice, speaking English, will likely be different.

...I think that made sense.

I still don't follow. We've heard both the Japanese and English voices for the new characters in previews, and we've heard Dudley's original English voice for something like 10 years now. Unless you're suggesting that there's going to be a different English VA for the American release?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3