• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Anime Fair 2010 Blowout: Days One & Two

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Am I losing my mind or are there two perfectly life-like Capybara figures in the Good Smile display alongside all the usual nendoroids and sexy statues.

Are you perhaps referring to these figures? Yes, capybara are popular in Japan. Smile
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
@ Toei Animation

I think a tear came to my eyes. 3D Harlock looks so fricken awesome. And his costume looks like it had a remake ... hmm interesting ...

I'm sorry about this fangirl-ing. But when he looks this cool (http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/cgi-bin/ibrowser/uploads/20100324_harlock_1.png), I get excited.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Geneon – which, remember, still exists in Japan – had a big space marked out near the front of the hall with three big arches displaying their brand-new and recent works, with a massive red carpet filling the empty space beneath.
Brillant design. It's them all over. Laughing
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
Last Exile in 3D really has some appeal to me, 3D anime seems like an odd idea but could really work with select series... I'm thinking stuff with a lot of CGI would work the best, obviously, I'd really like to see Yukikaze with the 3D treatment. Gundam, Macross Frontier, Eva, GitS, Appleseed in 3D - yeah, I'd buy that...

Thanks for all the vids & all your work staff, I'd love to see this all first hand sometime but this'll work until that day comes.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
@ Toei's booth

When I saw that you guys brought up Ring ni Kakero 1: Shadow footage being shown, I immediately loaded up the video. I was really annoyed when the video ended without showing even any promotional art and stands for the show, let alone any footage of it.

Don't bring up that you saw something if you can't show it to everyone else.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Rurupuri sounds like a perfect licence for 4Kids.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Rurupuri sounds like a perfect licence for 4Kids.

Actually, no...

There isn't much merchandise at all, comparatively. ANN has it a bit wrong: The Sega arcade game came first.
It's one of those ones where the machine spits out cards (or you can buy them) and you scan them in the machine to dress up/power up your character before you play. In this case it's mostly dress up and then they sing and dance while you play a mini game and score points, which will spit out more cards for you.

Those arcade games don't exist in the US and probably never will, and the cards themselves can't be used for a normal card game... They'd just be collectable.

So it's not something that could be brought over to the US unless you got Sega to literally try and introduce a new class of 12 and under arcade machine into arcades in the US... which will NEVER happen.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Based on Tokyo Anime Fair trailers posted on Youtube, I'm most looking forward to Mitsudomoe, a moe slice-of-life comedy about sixth grade triplet sisters that's directed by Masahiko Ohta, chief director of the original Studio Doumu Minami-ke series from 2007 and also episode director for several episodes of Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow.

I love both Ichigo Mashimaro and Minami-ke, so I'm looking forward to another series that seems to be pretty much the same thing all over again but with different girls. :P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
@ Toei's booth

When I saw that you guys brought up Ring ni Kakero 1: Shadow footage being shown, I immediately loaded up the video. I was really annoyed when the video ended without showing even any promotional art and stands for the show, let alone any footage of it.

Don't bring up that you saw something if you can't show it to everyone else.

We can't tape trailers on the show floor. A few seconds of video that happen to be playing during a long shot is fine but we can't straight-up bootleg a trailer.

Here is the only promotional image they had at the booth:

http://factoranime.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/rnk-3.jpg

There, now you've seen it. Now settle down.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Toei had nothing about Sailor Moon!

I thought I had read somewhere that there was talk of a revival (original series, NOT new production) and that it might have been planned for international relaunch starting in Italy... (Of course, I could have read that off of a website in a parallel reality!)

AS FOR 3-D...

Me no likey!

It's the same crap the entertainment companies peddle every 20-25 years. More expenses in movie-making, they charge us for an effect that really isn't life-like, and a bunch of a crummy films and remakes are done to get as much money made before the general population wakes up. (Goes without saying the artificialness of the 3-D film process makes at least 12-15% of us sick, too. It's just not the way we perceive things in real-life!)

Nice to know also that none of the 3-D TV glasses are cross-compatible, too. Those $150 glasses you have for your new Panasonic 3-D TV won't work with the 3-D Sony TV and vice-versa.

I predict this gimmick will die within two years just like it always has, new 3-D TV's or not. 3-D will take probably a few more decades to get right. We're just transitioning (slowly and painfully) to hi-def and that's more than a little expensive for both consumers and broadcasting companies....

The world recession/near-depression is very real folks. No time to be wasting money on gadgets and crap you don't really need.

Not surprised the motion picture and entertainment companies still haven't gotten the message.

There's only so much they can hike the entertainment price (re: tickets) up so much if the end-product is still crap.

Good management helps, too. Lack of said-management is what killed Geneon and more than a few other anime distributors in the US, too. That's what hurt both Gonzo and ADV as well.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
@Satelight

Surprised Basquash is getting a second go-arond, what with the first try being an utter mess.

Seriously, someone should probably keep Kawamori where they can see him and make sure he doesn't weird everything up with his nonsense.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
We can't tape trailers on the show floor. A few seconds of video that happen to be playing during a long shot is fine but we can't straight-up bootleg a trailer.

Here is the only promotional image they had at the booth:

http://factoranime.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/rnk-3.jpg

There, now you've seen it. Now settle down.

Sorry, I do understand that I sounded a little hot-headed in that last post, but considering the absolute lack of any promotion or anticipation people are giving it I'll take anything I can get, even if it's only a couple of seconds. As for the promotional image, it's just the usual shot Toei has been using since the announcement of the show back in December.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until April 2, when the first two episodes become available. It's not like anyone else is going to bother watching it over here...
Relmstein1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or is it scary that Ikkitousen: Xtreme Xecutor, is the fourth season in the series and not the third?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that there were already three Ikkitousen series, but forgot to look it up - and indeed there are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
Relmstein1 wrote:
Is it just me or is it scary that Ikkitousen: Xtreme Xecutor, is the fourth season in the series and not the third?
It's disappointing, is what it is. Same attitudes that allow Endless Eight to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4