• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Translated Manga Scan Aggregator Removes 350+ Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I also think many of these people, who sound like whiny kids, have NO idea what the internet was like a decade ago. It was good for information on things, but it sure lacked in the availability of stuff like anime and manga back then! Not NEARLY as easy to find, nor as plentiful. Spoiled kids...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow one more site get shot down
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
All the moochers don't seem to realize that if you're a teen and you want something, you can ask for it as a birthday and Christmas present. So it's not like someone else can't buy you manga or anime.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Most people obviously don't understand how businesses even work. Do people REALLY want MORE unemployment in the country?! The more I read their forums, the more mad it make me with just how IGNORANT these people are!

NO ONE wants their product used in such a way! Sure, people love it and become fans, but NO ONE is contributing to the fandom! It's... ARG! One big headache, because there requires this thing called "money", which also gets paid as royalties to the original artists, if they want a series to continue...

The only way to solve this is to Crunchyroll/Marvel it and pay a monthly fee to view stuff.

Oh, and people that say they will "never buy anime" probably would never have in the first place anyways :/

Last edited by Sheleigha on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Goddamnit.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I would not be surprised if all the publishing companies sued MangaFox and OneManga for all the profits made off advertising from the site, since that's how they made their money.
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
All the moochers don't seem to realize that if you're a teen and you want something, you can ask for it as a birthday and Christmas present. So it's not like someone else can't buy you manga or anime.

Not to mention doing, gasp, chores to earn money to buy them yourself. Or getting a part-time job if you're old enough. I find it amusing that people who have the resources to afford internet access to consume illegal scans claim they're so poor they can't financially support the work they claim to love so much.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Not to mention doing, gasp, chores to earn money to buy them yourself. Or getting a part-time job if you're old enough. I find it amusing that people who have the resources to afford internet access to consume illegal scans claim they're so poor they can't financially support the work they claim to love so much.

Some of the people crying poor actually have no money - others "have no money" because they spend it all for their smartphone.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Some of the people crying poor actually have no money - others "have no money" because they spend it all for their smartphone.

Priorities, and obviously people have other ones than manga.

If you REALLY want and REALLY like something, you can get it. Others, just spend their obtained money on other things that you can't just get for free :/
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Those were the days...I still remember being very young and making deals to do chores so that I could a Gameboy game or a book. And jobs are always an option. Even if one doesn't want one or can't get one, I've noticed parents being very willing to give money to their teens for chores, provided they do them well and are generally well-behaved.

I also agree that these people have no idea how a business actually works. They also seem to just know that authors would want them to do this, but ignore the fact that authors need to live, too. I may love to write fiction, but if I was a published author, I also would need to think about my rights. These people--who can easily buy the product--are mishandling what they've been given them. They're only upset because they can't get what they want for free and acting like arrogant brats about it.

I know some people are actually poor, but everyone needs to realize something. Make a scanlation and everyone gets it, even the people who would or could pay. If you're poor and reading them, I don't really care, but no one can just ignore the others who just want free stuff. Most of them are probably biased to the extent where they think every scanlation is better than the published version.
alp227

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
You can't "compromise" with the greedy content providers! Worse, you lost all luck when you straight-up scanned ALREADY-PUBLISHED works just because of some blokes or rural folk who lack a library.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
My schadenfreude knows no ends :)
This is wonderful news [also wow, 3 pages in, all posts are more or less pro-mangageddon. I guess this means reality's sinking in for some fans- given it's only been about a week since this all started, I'm curious where we'll be in 6 months time if this is already happening this early in. Go Team Manga!].
Gonna go buy some comics/manga this weekend to celebrate [got Okimono Kimono and the Spawn manga Vol.2 this week]

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
alp227 wrote:
You can't "compromise" with the greedy content providers! Worse, you lost all luck when you straight-up scanned ALREADY-PUBLISHED works just because of some blokes or rural folk who lack a library.

If the people who scanned them were talked into it with excuses like that, the main thing they were doing was free work for revenue-generating ad-for-view sites.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well it's a start. I am a guilty visitor to Mangafox, but I'm glad to see the licensed stuff go down because a) I'm too lazy to look it up elsewhere and b) makes me buy it if I really want it, oh and heck c) stops being illegal! Yay! I just wish they hurried up the process because it's irritating to have some licensed series still up and others not. I'd rather it be all or nothing, and if it's starting to go in the nothing direction, then by all means faster. I do hope some sort of pay for service for manga like crunchyroll pops up sooner or later in order to still read (but not buy) some of the series that I have been following (illegally).
sokpupet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't go to MangaFox or OneManga, though I do read scanlations of Bleach, Naruto and One Piece. I also own, as in bought and paid for brand new from book stores or Amazon, Bleach, Naruto and One Piece.

When Viz announced the speed up of One Piece I was ecstatic. Now I own all 53 available volumes with 54 and 55 on pre-order. Does this excuse my reading of scans? Of course not. But it shows that I don't read scans because they're free. I read them because they're the only way I can stay up to date on the series.

I'm fine with aggregator sites being taken down and scanlation groups dying out as long as I have an option to read the latest chapters of my favorite series. They can even take down chapters that have been released in volumes. I don't care, because I'll buy them.

Not all people that read scans do it because they're too cheap to spring for a $10. They do it because they're impatient, like me Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8