• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funi Adds Chrono Crusade, Gantz, Kaleido Star, Peace Maker

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
They really should redub Peace Maker! I watched the dub once and it was one of the most horrid dubs i have ever heard in my life.

Why bother? The show was only good for two episodes in my opinion, towards the end. That's just more work and more money for a show that's best left alone.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Dude, if I'm giving them my money, I expect the best quality that I can get. If this were a steam that I wasn't paying for, I couldn't care less.

If you compare Geneon's Gungrave release to the release of Baki the Grappler or Moonlight Mile you'd notice the difference right away.
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I wish people would stop using "upscale" like it's a dirty word.
BD bitrate is always preferable to DVD bitrate, for all shows.
Unless they do something stupid when encoding it, a BD version of an SD show will look better than the DVD because it won't suffer from the compression artifacts DVD releases do.
There's no reason to frown on BD releases of SD shows.

Now, if you've got a BD player hooked up to a CRT and are wishing they'd include a 720x480 encode to minimize scaling artifacts, that I can sympathize with, and there's really no reason they couldn't include both that plus the 1920x1080 version, but you have to admit the number of people who could make significant use of 720x480 spec BD output is pretty small. Smile
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
oh sweet! I've yet to get Chrno Crusade, and now I can at a bit of a cheaper price without having to see everyone on the cover in Christmas outfits. =3
raradragoon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice, Chrono Crusade is a great pick up, and kaleido, and peace maker seem interesting enough to watch a few ep. online. Gantz though is is the only license today that was disappointing to me.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
They really should redub Peace Maker! I watched the dub once and it was one of the most horrid dubs i have ever heard in my life.

Wouldn't it cost Funimation more to redub the entire series than just release as is? I just hope recusing anime is making Funimation profit and not the other way around.

I don't want/need to tell others what will happen if Funimation is forced to go either Chapter 7/11.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
More rescues of Gonzo titles FUNI? Well then it makes my prediction of Hellsing TV at Anime Expo much stronger now since we know there are Geneon rescues set to be announced there.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
FUNI needs to start understanding that video quality of six subbed and dubbed episodes is going to look like ass. The videos just look compressed. It's one of the reasons I'm flaky on buying FUNI DVD's.

Not true! I've bought Funimation's boxsets with 6 or 7 episodes on a disc and the quality is excellent.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Funi's current DVD's look just as good as the best ADV and Geneon DVD's did back in the day or 3-4 episodes per disk. The quality certainly hasn't gotten worse with 6 episodes per disk and if anyone can honestly tell they do look worse then they must have the eyes of good to see the difference because I sure as hell don't and I have been watching anime for damn near 15 yeas.

I do agree that 6 or 7 episodes can easily be put on a DVD and still have stellar video quality, even with multiple languages. Several of the sets that Sentai have put out look quite good, though I will admit some like Hidamari Sketch could have been much better.

It's not just the number of episodes that determines video quality. Hell, the major studios have started putting 9 animated episodes on a single DVD, like the recent Daria and X-Men boxsets that have been released. Some of those even look better than several of the anime box sets that have come out. The type and quality of encoding, amount of compression, type and quality of equipment, and quality of the masters all play heavily into the video quality, and are quite variable.

However, I have to say that I've also noticed a definite decrease in video quality from everybody, with Funimation being the most drastic. We all know Funi had AV problems for a long time with their singles releases. Shows like Gunslinger Girl and Fruits Basket looked almost as bad, if not worse than 8 episode bootleg discs from Asia. Their later singles releases like Hell Girl, Mushishi, Baccano, and Darker Than Black all looked pretty good. They could easily stand their own ground against the last generation of singles from ADV and Geneon.

However, their earlier box sets all looked quite terrible. I have seen bootleg releases that look better than the Ghost Hound, Aquarion and Ouran sets that Funimation put out.

From what I've heard, and seen on Romeo X Juliet, their quality has improved some. It's still a far cry from their last generation of singles, as well as the sets coming out from Nozomi and Sentai (most of them anyway.)

Sentai's and Nozomi's sets also don't compare favorably to the last generation of singles releases we had in North America. I can easily see the difference on most HD sets. However, the extent to which it is noticeable will depend greatly on your equipment and it's overall quality and even just the person viewing it. Some DVD and bluray players do much better jobs of compensating for encoding issues than others. Some HDMI cables will transmit a clearer signal, though it's generally not worth the added cost. Some HDTV's will do a better job of upscaling the content than others.

HD sets are much more complicated, and a lot more things can affect the overall video experience than your typical standard definition setups.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
FUNI needs to start understanding that video quality of six subbed and dubbed episodes is going to look like ass. The videos just look compressed. It's one of the reasons I'm flaky on buying FUNI DVD's.

Not true! I've bought Funimation's boxsets with 6 or 7 episodes on a disc and the quality is excellent.

It's not true to you, meaning you haven't noticed the issues; Or perhaps you've purchased different series. Video quality, particularly when playing on HD sets can vary dramatically from one set up to another.

Just because you can't see the issues with your set up, or just don't notice them, doesn't mean you should dismiss someone who does.

Annf wrote:
I wish people would stop using "upscale" like it's a dirty word.
BD bitrate is always preferable to DVD bitrate, for all shows.
Unless they do something stupid when encoding it, a BD version of an SD show will look better than the DVD because it won't suffer from the compression artifacts DVD releases do.
There's no reason to frown on BD releases of SD shows.

True, the bitrate is almost always higher, so the video SHOULD look better. However, Funimation has had several releases where their "upscales" made almost no improvement or even made it look worse, by over filtering and taking away detail.

If the encoding or masters are flawed, even the higher bitrate is not going to make the show look better.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
But I all ready got 2 of the 4 why cant Funi get Ga-Rei Zero all ready
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Dissapointed, only because I still see titles like Chrono in store kicking around, in SEVERAL of the re-released versions... I mean, I'm happy the anime will keep flowing, but... they need to rescue more GENEON titles... COME ON CCS! Anime hyper The day that gets announced gets me a first day preorder!
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I've owned Chrono Crusade for a long while now. The others don't interest me that much.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
makes no sence, I can still find these shows online, and at some stores, why would funi grab shows that are still floating around, unless they were bundled with other shows they have not announced yet, so what shows are newer from gonzo that we might want???

ones that come to mind are......

chu bra
B geta H kei
kampfer: this one screams funimation do me in english
kimi ni todoke- would pre order this one, it's like a polar oppasite to toradora...
saki: would love to see this one licensed

now I know not all of these are gonzo, but they did work on them with other companies

so what do you think???

Last edited by mudduck454 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo doesn't have much left and due to their dire straights, they don't seem to have much in the pipeline. One of the last big licenses they was Rosario and Funi already grabbed that. The only thing I can think of is Strike Witches 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6