• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike Witches 2 BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Because somebody decided KLAC should be. The relevant people have already weighed in on the matter(note the lack of a star next to the title), so angelmcazares's post isn't going to generate any action in his favor(it's also quite rude).

KLAC is an ongoing irritation on a number of different sites, and the general consensus is "ignore him".

Well thats quite rude.

I already do though, because I cannot make an intelligible statement from any of their posts aside from basic "yes I like this show", which is pretty much all they ever say as it is. It'd be different if they actually had an opinion with some thought put behind it.
Comsr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
well give watch s2 of strike witches some time ago really got same feel like s1 dub.
besides with likely the movie on the way next sure keep it going the same.
speaking of whole war on pants tagline give Funi tagline history from sekirei doobi for the win & Freezing dress code being violated besides wonder how tagline Funi will give to DxD when it come?

Here's an attempt at translation (give or take):

spoiler[Well, I watched Season 2 of Strike Witches some time ago and it has the same feeling as the Season 1 dub.
Besides, with the movie on the way, it will likely stay the same.
Speaking of the War on Pants tagline, given Funimation's history from Sekirei's Boobies for the Win and Freezing's The Dress Code Is About to Be Violated.. I wonder what kind of tagling Funi will give to High School DxD?]
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I don't like the idea of Strike Witches - it looks like a terrible bottom-feeding show -

For you, it would be. It takes a great deal of "forgiveness" to remove the blatantly obvious and you just do not have this type of strength to watch a series like this.

This isn't an insult.

Considering how you rip apart one show while praising another, gives me a feeling you'd never accept a show featuring witches who must control their striker units while fighting an alien invader using standard weaponry.

Key wrote:
As for the homage/rip-off thing that others have been bringing up:

I actually chuckled when I read it. I couldn't help but think how many people were instantly alienated by a reference to a movie they've never seen, and probably never will.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Considering how you rip apart one show while praising another, gives me a feeling you'd never accept a show featuring witches who must control their striker units while fighting an alien invader using standard weaponry.

Why the bloody eff would I accept it? Have you actually read what you just wrote?

Ahem.

Here's what I know:

1): Witches strap super-advanced miniature jets onto their legs to fight aliens. Because why not, that's why (to answer the question you didn't even ask).

2): Said witches wear animal ears. Why? Nobody knows for sure, but the leading theory is that they do so in order to appease various pagan goddesses. Either that or they're all wannabe furries.

3): Too much money was spent on the jets so there was nothing left over in the weapons departments. This results in the witches having to raid the Call of Duty games to find firearms (although to be fair I think one girl uses a katana, which is even more useless).

4): The witches are all female because their magic come from being cute and the jets are powered by virginal purity.

5): They cannot use their magic upon becoming an adult because Lord knows a woman of twenty is an ugly old hag who should be consigned to a retirement village already.

6): The girls must bathe daily because they are too poor to afford proper moisturiser, flight suits and goggles (stupid jet legs blowing the budget, remember?), and so the wind chafes their skin something wicked. Also, they need to get the bird droppings and insects of their hair.

7): Finally, due to the jet legs creating excessive heat, the witches must eschew any sort of leggings on their bottom halves so as to provide cooling and stave off heat stroke.

There you have it. What some really anal people thought was bad writing hell-bent on pandering to fans in the worst possible way can in reality be totally supported and explained using reason and logical thinking.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

1): Witches strap super-advanced miniature jets onto their legs to fight aliens.

Propellers, actually. They enhance the witch's magical abilities and make flight (which is possible without them, but very difficult) feasible

Quote:
2): Said witches wear animal ears. Why? Nobody knows for sure, but the leading theory is that they do so in order to appease various pagan goddesses. Either that or they're all wannabe furries.

Because the magic manifests as an pseudo-familiar. You know witches

Quote:
4): The witches are all female because their magic come from being cute and the jets are powered by virginal purity.

In this universe, magic only manifests in females.

Quote:
5): They cannot use their magic once becoming an adult because Lord knows a woman of twenty is an ugly old hag who should be consigned to a retirement village already.

Actually, magic can still be used as an adult (see Yoshika's mother using a healing spell in episode 1 of the first season), but it peaks in the mid to late teens.

>skipping the obvious troll ones.

Seriously though, what is your problem with fantastic settings? This is roughly equivalent to that Horizon rant you went on, and has approximately as much connection to the reality of the setting at hand.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Seriously though, what is your problem with fantastic settings?

Problem? No my good chap, I have no problem at all with fantastic settings like the one depicted in Strike Witches. Just like I don't have a problem with Infinite Stratos or OniAi or Uptotte! or High School DxD, or even Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (pretentious name though). I love all of those wonderful shows, especially OniAi. How could you possibly think I hated them? I'm hurt by your ridiculous and uncalled-for accusation. I'm so upset I think I'll have to watch the masterpiece that is Bodacious Space Pirates to unwind, followed by Yosuga no Sora. Great stress relief, that one.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Seriously though, what is your problem with fantastic settings?

Problem? No no no my good chap, I have no problem at all with fantastic settings like the one depicted in Strike Witches. Just like I don't have a problem with Infinite Stratos or OniAi or Uptotte! or High School DxD, or even Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (pretentious name though). I love all of those wonderful shows. How could you possibly think I hated them? I'm hurt by your ridiculous and uncalled-for accusation. I'm hurt I tell ya, I really am.

*yawn*

If you are just going to come into a thread and insult a show, then respond with irrelevant sarcasm when called on it, then you are completely unworthy of engagement on any subject.

You just come into threads and dump a load of bullshit on them, then act like anyone who disagrees with you is clearly a moron.

(yes, I fully expect some of the usual suspects to come in and accuse me of the same thing. I would suggest that they severely lack basic reading comprehension skills in that case) [Mod Edit: And this is your problem. I'm sick of these types of responses of yours. Even sitting here and making the threat is enough. If you do what you say you're going to do here then you're being placed under moderation]

Regardless, this is actually a Strike Witches thread, so what you are doing is straight up, no argument trolling. So either engage honestly or stay the hell out of threads of shows you don't like.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why the bloody eff would I accept it? Have you actually read what you just wrote?

Then you're a goddamn troll and I've reported all your posts making them nothing short of flaming fodder rather than looking for justification why you may feel your own comment was bullshit.

Quote:
Ahem.

Shit. All this now means is you're going to waste 15 pages bitching about your ignorance and will now rip apart anyone who tries.

Quote:
Here's what I know:

Don't waste our time with your blatant ignorance. This show isn't made for facts, great stories, or character development.

It's eye candy and general fluff, which many can enjoy without you coming in and screwing it up for everyone.

Let's hope moderators remove your cancerous crap quickly.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Typical Fencedude5609 fanboy behaviour. You ignore legitimate criticisms of the show and go straight for the ad hominems.

I didn't say or imply that people who disagree with me on Strike Witches are morons.

I didn't insult the show - I criticised it by pointing out some stupid things it does.

And I'm not trolling either by saying that - based on what I know about it - the show looks terrible and I'm not going to be watching it.

My sarcasm was very relevant; how the heck could it be irrelevant when I'm using it with respect to the flaws of the show in question?

And I am being entirely honest with you, except for when I'm using extremely easy to detect sarcasm. And even then, the sentiment behind the sarcasm was honest, in that I always meant the exact opposite of what I the sarcasm was saying.

Further to the sarcasm, I was not using it to insult anyone. The only thing I was taking aim at was the show(s) in question.

"Completely unworthy of engagement on any subject"? Oh pu-leez. I don't like one PoS show and all of a sudden you want to ignore me, even as you're busy talking to me? I have to wonder if you know what you're saying.

-----------

Mesonoxian Eve, you're the one who wondered if I would accept a show that had witches flying around fighting aliens using standard weaponry. I gave an honest answer; no. No I wouldn't, because it sounds awful. Why would I accept something that is (or sounds) awful? This isn't Midori Days which has one wacko element to its premise but apart from that is normal. This is just blatant pandering.

Anyway, you said you had the feeling I wouldn't accept it and I didn't, so you were spot on. I even gave perfectly reasonable reasons why the premise sounded awful. So why are you so upset? Huh?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Typical Fencedude5609 fanboy behaviour. You ignore legitimate criticisms of the show and go straight for the ad hominems.

Those aren't legitimate criticisms of the show, thats you picking apart the setting, with a heft dose of outright trolling thrown in.

I can pick apart the setting of any work not set in present time present place no fantasy world.

Quote:
I didn't say or imply that people who disagree with me on Strike Witches are morons.

Of course you did, I'm well acquainted with the tone, I use it frequently. Trying to slip it past me is pointless.

Quote:
I didn't insult the show - I criticised it by pointing out some stupid things it does.

I don't think anyone has ever said Strike Witch's setting isn't rather silly, but thats not actually a flaw in the show.

Quote:
And I'm not trolling either by saying that - based on what I know about it - the show looks terrible and I'm not going to be watching it.

Yeah, that is pretty much the textbook definition of trolling.

Not trolling would be A) Not posting or B) "I don't like the idea of girls running around with no pants, so I won't watch it" and then leaving. Making a huge long list of things you find stupid about a show you haven't even watched is like the very first entry in the "big book of how to troll anime forums"

Quote:
My sarcasm was very relevant; how the heck could it be irrelevant when I'm using it with respect to the flaws of the show in question?

Except your sarcasm was condescension directly aimed at me, and was not at all related to Strike Witches.

Quote:
And I am being entirely honest with you, except for when I'm using extremely easy to detect sarcasm.

Yes, and you used the sarcasm to avoid engaging my response. Which is trolling, and a demonstration that you can't actually support your positions. Since, you know, you haven't watched the show.

Quote:
"Completely unworthy of engagement on any subject"? Oh pu-leez. I don't like one PoS show and all of a sudden you want to ignore me, even as you're busy talking to me? I have to wonder if you know what you're saying.

I'm not the one who walks into threads for shows he hasn't watched and posts long lists of reasons why the show is stupid.

Quote:
Mesonoxian Eve, you're the one who wondered if I would accept a show that had witches flying around fighting aliens using standard weaponry. I gave an honest answer; no. No I wouldn't, because it sounds awful. Why would I accept something that is (or sounds) awful? This isn't Midori Days which has one wacko element to its premise but apart from that is normal. This is just blatant pandering.

Yes, it is pandering. I don't think anyone has ever said that Strike Witches doesn't pander shamelessly.

It happens to do it with a combination of fun characters, good battles, decent humor and a plot which is more-or-less passable. I fail to see a problem with this construction.

Quote:
Anyway, you said you had the feeling I wouldn't accept it and I didn't, so you were spot on. I even gave perfectly reasonable reasons why the premise sounded awful. So why are you so upset? Huh?

Except for all the parts you just made up.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
No, I'm not going to play along and continue for a stupid tit-for-tat. All I am going to say is that A: picking apart the problematic setting is quite legitimate, and B: you need to go back and read the definition of trolling, because that ain't it. (I thought you of all people would know what the definition is.) I was essentially saying "I would watch this show, except the premise sounds stupid and these are the problems I have with it...", which is perfectly legitimate. I was not flaming. I was not baiting. I was not trolling. I was expressing my honest opinion with no intention of stirring trouble. I know you like to think that this thread should be for fans only but it is not your private clubhouse. If I want to say that the premise bothers me then I should be allowed to say that.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
So, then is it safe to assume we won't be seeing you in this thread anymore?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I was essentially saying "I would watch this show, except the premise sounds stupid and these are the problems I have with it...", which is perfectly legitimate. I was not flaming. I was not baiting. I was not trolling. I was expressing my honest opinion with no intention of stirring trouble.

Sorry, but I don't buy this. Whatever else I've thought about you, I've never thought that you were stupid. I can't believe that you didn't expect that the prejudgments you made were going to stir up trouble.

Concerning your point #3: The girls are partly meant to be personifications of the primary fighter craft used by their pilot namesakes. Hence in some cases the weaponry used by them is meant to represent what those fighters used.

Fencedude dealt with all of your other relevant points in satisfactory fashion, so I feel no need to reiterate most of them. As others have said, the pandering in this series is so blatant that no one misses or can easily deny it. If the pandering in the premise bothers you so much that you are unwilling to consider other merits that the series has then you will not enjoy the series. If you can say, "okay, it's pandering, but what are its merits besides that?" then you may actually enjoy this one, though.

Anyway, this is turning into a lot of sniping, so unless there's something more constructive to be said about dtm42's comments, this matter is done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
I'm going to add to this since Key really only addressed one person and this was not a one person show. Frankly Eve, you instigated this with your initial insult and "assessment" of dtm's behavior which was "not an insult" but clearly was. This whole "this is how you think and this is why you do what you do" bullcrap doesn't contribute anything and was really the match that lit the fire, so dtm was hardly alone in this and as far and I'm concerned you were every bit as much a part of the problem.

Had you tried to argue against dtm's points maybe this would have been avoided, but instead you made it personal and attacked him directly instead of simply countering his points and explaining why he was wrong. Heck, at least Fencedude of all people did that much and actually approached things right until his last post.

As Key said though, the matter is done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
God I love the internet.

In any case, SW is one of those shows I like without really knowing WHY. I...just do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6