• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds 2 Galaxy Express 999 Films, Project A-Ko

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't even have the words to express how happy this makes me! I've been holding my breath for GE999 re-releases for a long time now. If only they can also get Arcadia of My Youth.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer: I agree, but girls w/ swords on home video=instant geek bait hit.

Chrno: It would be, but no one knows who owns it. Crying or Very sad

Speaking of Arcadia, I'd also like to see Harlock Saga return, 'cus I hate the prices they're charging for used copies.

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Supermutant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Man can finally trade me tv tapped Galaxy Express 999 for DVD. GE999 Movies were some of the first Anime I saw and knew they were anime. Saw shows like Voltron and Robotech as a kid but didn't know. Same with project a-ko at the same time as ge999. Hopefully we will see more of pa-ko after the first film.
Vinnems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Hoping for a Blu Ray release of 999, as I already own the Korean DVD set. I've been watching fansubbed Blu Ray versions of the three GE999 movies and they look absolutely gorgeous. Would love to own them, as they are childhood defining movies for me.
When I was a kid, my parents were going through a very nasty and violent divorce. I remember watching the first GE999 movie on Sci Fi and wishing that Maetel would come and take me away from everything and we could explore the galaxy. To be young again...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
It would be interesting to see a redub of Project A-Ko (if they decide to do it) that could compete with the awesome first dubbing job of it with Cathy Weseluk.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:17 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
It would be interesting to see a redub of Project A-Ko (if they decide to do it) that could compete with the awesome first dubbing job of it with Cathy Weseluk.

The original movie didn't have Cathy Weseluck in the dub cast. She only played C-ko in the OVA sequels.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Past wrote:

The original movie didn't have Cathy Weseluck in the dub cast. She only played C-ko in the OVA sequels.
Untrue, although this is something that seems virtually unknown to the anime community. In the DVD release they completely recasted the dub, but the original VHS release by CPM did in fact have Cathy Weseluk as the voice of C-Ko. This version to my knowledge was never released on DVD. The Encyclopedia entry for Project A-Ko lists the DVD version dub cast, therefore Cathy is not credited as voicing C-Ko in the original movie. I've been thinking of pointing this out for the Encyclopedia staff but I don't know if they want to list 2 dub casts for the same title under the same licensor.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
GE999 BD please. I'd pay $20 per.
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
Project ako was a fun movie, I haven't seen the Galaxy Express movies. But I'll still buy them if they are anime films on R1 DVD.

I'll bow down to Discotek if they obtain rights on the Lupin TV series.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
This is fantastic news. Discotek is shaping up to be an incredible licensor. I'll be picking up Galaxy Express 999 for sure once it's available. Good stuff! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Untrue, although this is something that seems virtually unknown to the anime community. In the DVD release they completely recasted the dub, but the original VHS release by CPM did in fact have Cathy Weseluk as the voice of C-Ko. This version to my knowledge was never released on DVD. The Encyclopedia entry for Project A-Ko lists the DVD version dub cast, therefore Cathy is not credited as voicing C-Ko in the original movie. I've been thinking of pointing this out for the Encyclopedia staff but I don't know if they want to list 2 dub casts for the same title under the same licensor.

I don't know where you got this from, but it's patently false. There is only one dub of the first movie, and it was the London-based Manga UK cast. That's what's on the DVD, and the original VHS. (CPM actually didn't even know how to produce their own dubs when that was released, hence getting Manga UK to help.)

All the sequels were Ocean dubs, though, and do feature Cathy Weseluk as C-ko.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
E-Master:
Quote:
I'll bow down to Discotek if they obtain rights on the Lupin TV series.

Which one? Personally, I've always believed Geneon should've released the first one first. Less of a risk, given its length, and it would've gotten more people who never heard of the show into it.

sick: I don't think Discotek can afford a BD facility right now. The movies are probably more of a dry run to see if there's a market for people who saw the show online.
takuhii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I remember when Project A-Ko came out in the UK. It was good then, and presented a lot of fan service. But by today's standard it's gonna look pretty dated, unless this is some sort of reboot...
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
The Galaxy Express 999 films and Project A-ko? I love you Discotek! Here's hoping for the GE 999 series. I pre-ordered Fist of the North Star as soon as I could (it's on its way here now), and I'll do the same for these. How about Ashita no Joe next?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
The Galaxy Express 999 films and Project A-ko? I love you Discotek! Here's hoping for the GE 999 series. I pre-ordered Fist of the North Star as soon as I could (it's on its way here now), and I'll do the same for these. How about Ashita no Joe next?

I could see the first series if it was subbed. You could dub it, you'd mostly only need 3 main voice actors, but it's still a lot of work for 113 episodes when very few people are going to be buying it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4