• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - For Anime's Sake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fist of the North Star is definitely remembered. I really don't think Shaman King is even comparable to Fist.

By the Japanese maybe, but the rest of the world, not so much.

Quote:
Those series are all popular, but I'm saying they aren't nearly on the level of Naruto and One Piece. Psyren is over ten volumes and hasn't even made a moderate spark with all of the other manga out there. SJ must be getting desperate for a megahit by now. The numbers for Jump aren't what they used to be.

Manga sales in general aren't what they used to be. It isn't because of a lack of hit series, it's because manga is competing with new media. Cellphones are quickly taking manga weeklies' place in trains and buses. Besides, the sales of Shounen Jump aren't the only indication of how popular the Shounen Jump series are. You also have to consider the ratings of the anime adaptions, merchandise sales, tankoubon sales... Last time I checked, new Psyren volumes were often on Japanese manga bestseller lists.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen any "new" summer anime season but I hear that Highschool of the Dead is pretty good.
If I was a fan of zombies I might check it out.
I don't want to watch Kuroshitsuji II because I haven't seen the first season yet.

Quote from article:
Quote:
2. Twilight - It's twilight...

That comment alone was I'll I needed!! ;-D

Quote:
4. Toy Story 3 - I'm too old for this.

Even if you are in your 80's, you can never be too old to watch a good Pixar film or animation in general.

I keep trying to tell my parents & older family members that anime/manga/cartoons isn't just for kids!!!

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Well, if we're really that close to where OP is at in Japan, I can sort of understand its lower ranking. It seems to be falling victim to other shonen manga I liked[*cough* Claymore and Kurohime *cough*]

I own a few of Kurohime manga's (wished it was adapted into an anime) and the Claymore anime is awesome!!

Besides, just like Mr. Answerman said, One Piece spoiler[ just like Bleach, Naruto, and other shows that have passed the 100th episode mark ] isn't over until the creator says so (or if it becomes unpopular which I highly doubt).

Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
Do they even know what Saint Seiya is anymore?

I keep hearing that this was a good show/manga but I can't find any manga anywhere.

I don't want to watch it on YouTube (since it's technicality illegal) but it seems like I don't have a choice =__=
(unless someone can tell me where I can buy/rent the manga/anime at a good price!!)
SerryHeart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I never would have gotten into anime without Sailor Moon making its initial tv run but I don't think that anime will be taken too seriously until it gets better on-air slots. Only fans and insomniacs are awake to see the Cartoon Network run on Saturday nights and as much as I like the shows that run on Nickelodeon, how much respect can you give a show that follows Sponge Bob? The Funimation Channel is a joy but you can't get it with a regular cable package or without purchasing a bunch of channels you'll never watch along with it (at least in my area). I have the perfect solution: put anime on ABC; then maybe people will actually watch that station. Laughing
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
I never really worry about Adult Swim, since I just set my DVR to tape anime i want to see. I started watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. DVRs are great because it means I don't have to stay up late to watch anime.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I keep hearing that this was a good show/manga but I can't find any manga anywhere.

You may find more if you search for "Knights of the Zodiac", since that's the title in North America. But, yeah, the manga is OOP and the anime is expensive.

Honestly, it's hard to recommend Saint Seiya. On one hand it's a Shounen Jump archtype. Bleach? That's like Saint Seiya with swords. On the other hand, the artstyle isn't exactly great and readers aren't that much into tightly knit together fight scenes nowadays. I think it mostly appeals to people who say the anime when they were kids.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:

You may find more if you search for "Knights of the Zodiac", since that's the title in North America. But, yeah, the manga is OOP and the anime is expensive.
I am slow...what does "OOP" mean?

Quote:
Honestly, it's hard to recommend Saint Seiya. On one hand it's a Shounen Jump archtype. Bleach? That's like Saint Seiya with swords.
Cool~~
Quote:
On the other hand, the artstyle isn't exactly great and readers aren't that much into tightly knit together fight scenes nowadays. I think it mostly appeals to people who say the anime when they were kids.

I'm an open-minded person so I wouldn't mind trying out this anime even if I never saw it when it was on TV :-D Plus if it was made in the 80's or 90's then I really will like it (I enjoy old-school artstyle!)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
OOP means Out Of Print. So the company that distributed the show has ceased printing of it, making it rare and sometimes expensive if it has a lot of value in the anime community.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
OOP means Out Of Print. So the company that distributed the show has ceased printing of it, making it rare and sometimes expensive if it has a lot of value in the anime community.

My reaction to answer...
(thank you though :-D)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
My friend was actually the person who wrote the paper on the manga. I am still trying to convince to her that she should post it her paper here. here is my paper on the characters in Detective Conan AKA case closed and how they are based on the charcters in Edogawa Rampo and Sir Aurthur Conan Doyles Writing
http://community.funimation.com/tm.aspx?m=345588
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3