• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre to Decide on Selling Funimation in 2 Quarters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

their main problem is, ...

Before investing a lot of effort in explaining their commercial failure, bear in mind that they have grown to roughly 40% market share. Indeed, the key take-away in the "reduced profitability" financial report mumbo-jumbo is they are profitable,

Navarre is IOW not dumping a division that is failing to see if someone else can make it work, they are offering a division that is succeeding to see if it might be even more valuable to someone else.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting is that the net income in the first quarter was over 3.5 times as high as that in the second quarter. I don't recall their release schedule well enough to know what was in each, but if that was mostly DBZ, I find that to a be a bit much of an impact for a single show. Sure, it's DBZ, but 3.5 times the income just from releasing that one show? That's a lot.

As for Case Closed, I think that its real problem is that it doesn't really fit in any normal niche in the US. It's too kiddy for most adults, so you're going to have trouble selling it to them. And it's too violent for kids, so you can't sell it to them. I don't think you're even allowed to use the word kill in kids programming in the US, let alone actually have people killed in a semi-graphic manner (it isn't all that graphic, but it's pretty graphic for kids TV). So, a murder mystery show for kids is totally out.

So, the result is that very few people are buying it. The adults aren't interested, and the kids aren't even aware that it exists, since it can't be put on TV where they'd see it. Hence, it sells poorly.

Personally, I really like it, but the premise is weird enough, and it's in too bizarre a spot in terms of its target audience for it to work in the US. At least, it has no prayer of doing even a fraction as well as it does in Japan where it's actually able to function as a family show. I'd really like to see it do well enough that they at least manage to release it all here, but it doesn't seem to be going that way. Fortunately, Viz has continued to release the manga, so we'll at least get the main story if not the anime.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Lul... Funi, you most construct additional pylons.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
shinichi8 wrote:
I'm so upset about Funimation botching up the release of Detective Conan in the US. It has succeeded in every country but the US. Funimation is bad at marketing, and limited the potential of my favorite anime. I just hope they sell the Detective Conan rights to someone else, so that this series gets the audience and attention it deserves. of course if you put it in late night adult swim, it was going to fail. It needed to placed in Toonami or primetime weekend cartoon network cable, or I even would have loved to see a network take a risked on an animated cartoon in primetime. It works in Japan. Why not here?

Just for the record Funimation wanted Case Closed to air on Toonami, it was Cartoon Network who made the switch, as the higher ups felt the content was too much for that age bracket of TV. Also the raitings were pretty high on adult swim for Case Closed, it had a real chance of becoming a hit. But Adult Swim was not too happy that the people watching the show was a younger age bracket then what Adult Swim wanted. Iei they want 20+, but they were getting teens watching it, and very few 20+.They have commercials for the US Army on that channel and 14 year olds can't join the army =P. It seems ti was a better fit for Toonami... Also Kim Manning personally disliked the show, and did not get any more episodes then what the channel originally had obtained.

Apparently the movies sell pretty well, as said on ANNcast, but the TV series just wasn't getting the sales it needed. Quite a shame really, as it's one of my all time favorite shows. Personally I believe many of the fans of Case Closed didn't even know it was available on DVD, they just watched what they could on Adult Swim and were upset about not seeing anymore. I've talked to quite a few non-anime fans who enjoyed the show too...so it had real promise...

Last edited by Prede on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
But a corporate raider wouldn't offer Navarre a price that'd be better than holding onto Funimation. There are not all that many valuable assets to strip, since most existing assets are licenses to distribute that depreciate rapidly in value after the initial release. And its not like the Texas property market makes the land they are occupying especially valuable.

Production equipment, studio equipment, VA contracts, DVD production equipment......um.....hmm, well scratch the VA one since I don't think some of them are even worth retaining period....
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:
Detective Conan doesn't work in the US because people aren't that interested in detective shows.

Law & Order SVU would like a word with you. Rolling Eyes

Americans aren't interested in 70s and 80s style cheesy and non-realistic detective shows.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:
Detective Conan doesn't work in the US because people aren't that interested in detective shows.

I love law and Order and Detective Conan, but I think the poster was referring to detective anime.

The ratio of detective anime to moe, shonen action, slice of life, etc. is very low.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

Americans aren't interested in 70s and 80s style cheesy and non-realistic detective shows.

If you think the 10 or so detective shows that are on US tv now and pull in big ratings are realistic, you need to go back to school.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

If you think the 10 or so detective shows that are on US tv now and pull in big ratings are realistic, you need to go back to school.

While things are obviously not all realistic, they attempted to have a sense of realism in the show. Example of this is, while the show House M.D. is far from realistic, it's appears WAY more realistic than Scrubs.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

Exactly! By the way for all the stupid people I wasn't refering to live action shows on USA. I was talking about sports and detective ANIME shows. They don't have a big enough fanbase especially old style animation which is why they don't do well here. You can't blame Funimation.

Sorry for getting off topic.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

Cheesy? The manga cases in DC are similar to mysteries from Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie. No matter how improbable a case is natural laws of physics still apply. "Cheesy" and unrealistic are not an accurate descriptions.
Monster and When they Cry do the same thing DC does, except DC is more of light-hearted overall.

Quote:
They don't have a big enough fanbase especially old style animation which is why they don't do well here.

A style is a style it does not age. The problem would be some fickle American fans clamoring about it not being shiny enough despite being just as current as Bleach, One Piece, or Fairy Tail(which uses the same style as OP).

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

I'm just gonna have to assume you're being sarcastic, cause there's absolutely no way you can be that ignorant and utterly misinformed. Even if you're not in the US. Hell, even if you're in Sweden or something!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
With all the hate DBZ gets, I find it amusing that it is the only 20+ (or, heck, 5+) year old anime that is still relevant today.

My nephews watch it and LOVE it.

It depends on where you're talking about.
There are other titles from the 80's (Saint Seiya for example) that are popular around the world & in Japan.
Did you see that remake of Clash of the Titans? Yeah, I had issues with it, but the director was enough of a Seiya fan, he patterned that armor for Zeus & the other gods on the Seiya armor which is somewhat relevant. Unhappily Seiya never took here as it did around the world.
Sailor Moon is apparently gone underground, never to be seen again even though loads of people want it to be licensed again. Fist of the North Star has its fans.
DBZ survived the days of heavily editing an anime so that it COULD be re-mastered a dozen times (or however many sets Funi's issued). Still, in the circles I move in-the actual adult working stiff world-most of my co-workers can't tell DBZ from YuGi-Oh from Teen Titans from Ben 10.
They're all cartoons to them.
My cubicle is the place in the office all newbs have to check out for the wall-to-wall anime boys & it is something one usually doesn't see. (not that they see them as bishonen. They see them as a bunch of posters of cartoons)

Hopefully Funi will end up with someone who will allow them to continue more in the style they are currently functioning in rather than someone like Sony that can't even give us all of Cyborg 009 or wants obscene amounts for Blood+. Of course Sony picking up Funi & fixing their prior issues along with it would be nice.
That is a large drop in profit which does bring in questions of whether Funi needs tinkering with.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
$895,000.

There's no call for surprise, but my stomach rose behind my eyes at that number. It's sobering to see it in all its modesty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dagon123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
BobtheBoss wrote:

Trolly McTroll's post removed

bayoab wrote:
Why would another dubbing company merge into FUNimation? They do their own in-house non-union dubs. They could easily do outside dubbing work if they wanted to. Buying another anime company wouldn't make much sense unless they were able to do something so radically different.

mudduck454 wrote:
Their huge post

This ^^^

You can hate them, but they are just telling the truth in a very smartass way.

FUNimation was always the turd company back in the 90's when ADV and Geneon reigned supreme, and when they disappeared, the only person left on the playground was FUNimation, so they had to step up, but from the looks of things they haven't gotten far. Listening to fans? PFFT, my freakin foot. There dubs consist of the same 3 or 4 people re-used, and while thats all dandy and fine, believe it or not their are other actors out there, and its nice once in a while when the first 4 people listed for their new show aren't Brina Palencia and Chris sabat. If they are doing bad its all their own damn fault. "Its all fansubbers faults, and people aren't buying", People aren't buying FUNimation because you license shows at the speed of derp, you license complete failures, and somehow you can justify releasing 3 complete collections of the same show. Someone buying FUNimation would be the best way to go, because they need help from themselves. When they decide to actually practice what they preach and be "A company of the fans" like they like to sing, I might try and help save that sinking ship
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7