• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bakuman GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
I just think it's funny the 'smart girls instinctivily know how to appeal to boys' thing is coming out of the mouths of boys designed to appeal to girls.
ChaosAxess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is no matter how sexist Bakuman is, it doesn't even come close to hitting how sexist most manga are, especially shoujo manga.

Also this review sucks bad. I'll admit the story doesn't pick up until about the 2nd volume, but it's a lot more important to develop the lead characters early and have story leading up to the exciting stuff than it is to focus on the romance. Also the art being only a B is an absolute joke. Did this guy even pay attention to the detail in the backgrounds? It's great, especially compare to the other crap in Jump atm (Bleach lmao). Obata a fantastic artist, whoever wrote this review is totally off his rocker.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
I agree the art is A++. Then again Obata-sensei is my favorite artist! I also love this series and recommend it to anyone looking to become a mangaka. It doesn't exactly paint a realistic picture but it is good entertainment, especially for an artist.
ExtraRegards

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sexism? What sexism? I was too busy enjoying the story to even notice.

Seriously, people are making such a big deal out of this. You guys act like Bakuman is the only sexism manga out there. What about Gantz? What about High School of The Dead? Or what about the dozens of other harem manga out there?

What is sad is that some people are not gonna read this manga after reading this topic because of this so-called "sexism" which most people won't even notice.
Snowman 183

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
I really don't think that Bakuman as a whole is sexist. There are most certainly moments of sexism within the story, as has been pointed out in this thread many times already. However, I think those instances are meant to reflect certain schools of thought within society, rather than act as a damning indictment of womankind in its entirety. If Ohba and Obata really intended Bakuman to be sexist to the core, why would three of the central female characters, in the form of Azuki, Aoki and Iwase, be portrayed as independent, creative and successful?

Bakuman depicts the business of creating manga in a relatively accurate manner. I think it only makes sense that the views and opinions of the characters be depicted in a similarly accurate fashion. Sadly sexism is still prevalent in this day and age, and so we see certain characters making sexists remarks. Unfortunately, it does take quite a while for Aoki and Iwase to come into their own and act as a counterbalance to the likes of Takagi and his bizarre opinions, so it's understandable that some people would be put off by the early volumes of the series.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
I remember when I saw that remark early on about smart girls being stupid and vice versa, and I didn't think much of misogyny in the manga as much as misogyny in Japan in general. I thought, "Really? Is this how things really are in Japanese schools?"

Though what annoyed me more was how Shonen Jump USA was promoting it. It was pointing excitedly at Bakuman. showing up and telling its readers that this is some sort of guide to making manga.

If there really is this prevalent belief among Japanese schoolgirls, then I have to wonder if anyone looks at the Western world and sees arguments like these. It'd be funny if some editor or executive overhears criticisms of misogyny in manga like these and think about why women are so powerful and why the men are standing up for them.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I didn't think much of misogyny in the manga as much as misogyny in Japan in general. I thought, "Really? Is this how things really are in Japanese schools?"

The idea of a too intelligent girl being unattractive does definitely exist outside of manga in real life. In Japan and also in China for that matter. Earlier in the thread someone said something about "women with a PhD cannot get married".
And it's still common practice for girls to drop out of university or quit their jobs once they get married and even more once they get pregnant (Watch the series "14 year old mother" to get an idea ^^ ).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Most Middle East, and East Asian cultures are inherently misogynistic, even to this day, so one shouldn't be so surprised that their media would depict that. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3