• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Maison Ikkoku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Last time I was at Borders Book store, I could have sworn I saw some volumes of Maison Ikkoku. Granted, that was months ago, but I think Rightstuff, Atomic Comics and Ebay may have some copies of said series.

I read about three volumes of the series and while I thought it was a okay series, I found drama a bit much for me. I really have enjoyed Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha and to some degree, Ursei Yatsura, but I never really got into Maison Ikkoku.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
She's been in the business for 30 years, and has created classics such as Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and Urusei Yatsura.

And those are all from 20+ years ago. Really since then there has been Inuyasha. And while very popular for a time you can't really say it brought innovation or anything new to the genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
She's been in the business for 30 years, and has created classics such as Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and Urusei Yatsura.

And those are all from 20+ years ago. Really since then there has been Inuyasha. And while very popular for a time you can't really say it brought innovation or anything new to the genre.

Yeah but how many female mangaka have that type of impact, and output.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku has been my favorite manga for almost 20 years now.

My first exposure to it was through friends that had recorded it off of a CCTV feed during Animecon '91. About a month after that, I started borrowing my friend's tankouban collection. I liked the series so much, that I wound up buying a complete set on my first trip to Japan several months later.

I wound up enjoying the series so much despite not being able to understand Japaneses. Eventually, I went on to actually buy a second tankouban set solely due to the fact that they released the series in a larger size with brand-new cover illustrations. I also wound up buying both US releases as well. Out of all the manga that I own, this is the only series that I own four different releases of the same work.
GodaiTheRonin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku is the only Anime/Manga series I have fully supported. Overall a life changing series for me as well. I wish Viz would do a rerun of the DVD series as I own all of the manga in both of its full runs, and all of the DVD boxsets except the last one. The last one was printed in extremely limited quantities and did not see the light of day in stores by my house Sad. The only way to buy it now is to pay about 200 dollars for a used or new one on ebay.. which is absurd for one dvd boxset.

It's that great of a series I registered for the sake of saying this! Read it if you can, you won't regret it!
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
I recently had a guy tell me that Strawberry 100% was one of the most romantic manga series he's ever read. The end is here. Thanks for saving my sanity with the memory of Maison Ikkoku.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:

Ok Which genre? Slice-of-life adult romance stories without fantasy elements?
Is making a Romance series in a shônen magazine with no battles, no explosions, no hyper-mini-skirts, bouncing breasts jokes, and with female characters with real personality (not "you jerk! -punch-" type) not innovation enough?

And, btw, what's exactly "innovation"? Five girls instead of one?
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Is making a Romance series in a shônen magazine with no battles, no explosions, no hyper-mini-skirts, bouncing breasts jokes, and with female characters with real personality (not "you jerk! -punch-" type) not innovation enough?

And, btw, what's exactly "innovation"? Five girls instead of one?

I was talking about Inuyasha when I wrote that last sentence, which you tell me what it did new? And with innovation, I mean new story telling techniques, new unused/less used plot elements, a new art style, etc.

Charred Knight wrote:

Hagio Moto, Riyoko Ikeda, or practically any member of the Year 24 Group.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:

Hagio Moto, Riyoko Ikeda, or practically any member of the Year 24 Group.

Rumiko Takahashi still had more impact, not only was her work huge in Japan, but it was popular in America as well.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
I've seen the Maison Ikkoku anime, but after seeing it, I didn't want to buy the anime - I wanted to buy the manga. When you have Kimagure Orange Road at 18 manga volumes and 48 TV episodes, and Maison Ikkoku at 15 volumes but 96 TV episodes...it does feel stretched out, regardless of how good the story is. The core story that's there is very good, and to have that undiluted would be great.

When I first got into anime, it was good romance series that really captured my attention, and though it took me a while to finally see greats like Maison Ikkoku, KOR, and Hana Yori Dango, they were totally worth the wait. Knowing that they exist, it's that much harder to swallow most of the "romance" shows that come out today. Straight-up shonen romance series in the vein of Maison Ikkoku (as opposed to, say, a harem series) are almost completely missing in action.

I'm sad that the volumes are out of print. Now I'm wondering if I should attempt to snap up a set of that printing out there somewhere, or wait and hope for an awesome VizBig release.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
I've seen the Maison Ikkoku anime, but after seeing it, I didn't want to buy the anime - I wanted to buy the manga. When you have Kimagure Orange Road at 18 manga volumes and 48 TV episodes, and Maison Ikkoku at 15 volumes but 96 TV episodes...it does feel stretched out, regardless of how good the story is. The core story that's there is very good, and to have that undiluted would be great.

Agreed. I do enjoy the MI anime, but it moves so slowly when compared to the manga. The madcap feeling of the comedy parts is lost because the episodes move so lackadaisically...it's almost like each episode should be 15 minutes instead of 25.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I guess I was luckier than I thought when I won a complete set in a game of chance a trivia contest at Anime Iowa last month. It's the flopped edition, too -- the first left-to-right manga I've ever encountered. And upon calculating the retail value + tax on those books, it seems I've practically broken even on the convention trip expenses.

The localization is a stark contrast with present-day manga releases, but there are some truly great lines in there. Like "It must be 'A Salty Dog' that makes you 'A Whiter Shade of Pale'!" Somehow, I'm thinking that double Procol Harum reference wasn't exactly in the original Japanese. Currently I'm midway through vol. 8, and part of me wonders how they're going to sustain things through the rest of the run. I guess it's via those 200-page emotional crises. Unfortunately, some elements haven't aged well as time and technology have marched on. Just how many plot points and misunderstandings are based on overheard half-conversations on MI's single shared landline phone?

GATSU wrote:
Charred:
Quote:
Oh right I forgot, child magician with glasses

From T.H.E.M.
Quote:
Negima has been jokingly referred to as "Harem Potter", which is a bit off base, even though the main characters of both features are teenagers with magical powers. (Negi does at one point in the manga -- or at least the English translation of it -- make a Quidditch reference while flying with his staff.)
Okay, even your own sources are questioning the Negima-HP comparisons.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
brand wrote:

I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but just to note, Maison Ikkoku is seinen.
Kanis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Beltane70"Out of all the manga that I own, this is the only series that I own four different releases of the same work.[/quote]

I'm alot like you then. I own all the VIZ comics, the flopped and nonflopped Viz manga, a Hong Kong DVD release before VIZ came out with one, and all 8 Viz DVD collections, a couple of posters, and the memorial illustrations (ebay ftw!).

This is the only title that I've been this consumed by.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Charred:
Quote:
Oh right I forgot, child magician with glasses

From T.H.E.M.
Quote:
Negima has been jokingly referred to as "Harem Potter", which is a bit off base, even though the main characters of both features are teenagers with magical powers. (Negi does at one point in the manga -- or at least the English translation of it -- make a Quidditch reference while flying with his staff.)

From NSFW:

Quote:
Shit, he’s got a comic about eighty-nine million buxom teens who want to have sex with a cute little Mexican Harry Potter bootleg to pen, it’s probably too much to ask that he even skim the Wikipedia articles.

As pointed out the T.H.E.M article points out that your accusations are unfounded. I have no idea why you would show the second article.

You either know nothing about Harry Potter, or you know nothing about Negima, or both. Their plots are completely different
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4