• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Something Sinistral

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
Well, as I was one of the first to comment on the lack of Western titles, I don't have a problem with them not being covered, but I just think you should review what you want. If you're not a fan of Fallout and that's why it didn't get a mention in the releases area, then cool. But I just want to be sure that you're not leaving stuff out because people are complaining. It'd be like ANN cancelling the Interest feed because people keep asking how interest articles are news. You should write and list what you want.
That being said, I'm not suggesting you should start doing in-depth reviews of Western titles. Just that, like the now resurrected "weekly releases" articles that are showing up, you could mention bigger Western titles that might catch gamer interest just in the releases area. Because while I could check other sites to keep track of upcoming games, for the most part I just troll gamestores and their associated websites, forums and IRC. ANN is really the only place I read anime/game news online. So if you don't mention them, I really don't see them talked about. And I like the way you write, whether praising or ridiculing a title.
In closing, keep doing what you're doing. Thumbs up either way.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
The only reason why I started reading this column is because of the coverage of Reccettear just many weeks ago.

I hope he can cover more games like Reccettear and do something about the Visual Novel Industry too.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
B.K. wrote:
You missed the biggest news. Atlus announced Persona 2: Innocent Sin for PSP in Famitsu today!

Holy crap is right? This is big news. Won't be long before they do Eternal Punishment.

From the article I read (forget where, I think it was RPGFan.com's source), the director wants to do EP, but there's not currently any plans. It sounds like he originally wanted to do both as one game, because he pointed out that both on one UMD was "impossible".

They also said that there's gonna be some new animation scenes, and that the opening animation is being done by the studio that did Macross Frontier. And that they were reusing the original music.

Well, that would sound like a plan. It does make sense to release them both since P:IS is Pt.1 and P:EP is Pt.2 to the story. If they can fit them both on UMD then by all means. Smile So if they do that I'm there.

You mentioned that the animations will be done by the studio that Macross Frontier? Did they work on any of the previous releases like Persona for PSP?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Dessa wrote:
From the article I read (forget where, I think it was RPGFan.com's source), the director wants to do EP, but there's not currently any plans. It sounds like he originally wanted to do both as one game, because he pointed out that both on one UMD was "impossible".

They also said that there's gonna be some new animation scenes, and that the opening animation is being done by the studio that did Macross Frontier. And that they were reusing the original music.

Well, that would sound like a plan. It does make sense to release them both since P:IS is Pt.1 and P:EP is Pt.2 to the story. If they can fit them both on UMD then by all means. :) So if they do that I'm there.

You mentioned that the animations will be done by the studio that Macross Frontier? Did they work on any of the previous releases like Persona for PSP?

The company, Satelight seems to have a lengthy list of anime they've worked on, but ANN doesn't list any games. Wikipedia does list a single game, something called "Heavy Metal Thunder" from 2005 (and their own website concurs with this).

[BTW, the article I read is here]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
The Last Story = Epic victory

It's too bad Nintendo won't release it outside of Japan.

With Nintendo, nothing really surprizes me anymore. Don't get me wrong, I have been gaming for 17 years. I was there when the era of Nintendo was ending and Super Nintendo begun. I was also one of few people who bought Earthbound and still think it's one of best rpg's next to Chonro Trigger released on the Super Nintendo.

Recently, I even bought a Nintendo Wii, just so I play some of those old games again. But even though several years have passed, I still don't understand why Nintendo never licensed Earthbound 2 (Mother 3).

But not isn't the whole issue, the issue is that they never really gave an official answer either. I realize the era of GBA is long gone (yep, I bought the original GBA, the big and bulky one) and the Game Cube has long retired (I bought one of those as well) but why not release it for Nintendo Dual Screen?

I heard somewhere Mother 3 is the grand finale and the series concluded after M3 was made, so it's not like it's Final Fantasty or Dragon Quest. Don't get me wrong, I know times have changed since '94. I can understand the new generation of gamers might buy it like a ultra violent shot them up game, but if I remember right, the last Earthbound game sold pretty well and I think the demographic was pretty big.

Hear me out though. Several years ago I joined a petition (half knowing there is a chance nothing would change) and I called Nintendo early day for six months straight every day and if I remember right, I also emailed them and wrote them a hand written letter as well. I also told my friends as well and I think they called Nintendo as well. As did others on petition as well, and some made video's (that was clean and polite, mostly) so the effort was certainly there.

I'd even be willing to buy the game through Wii ware. Heck, I'd even be willing to pay anywhere from 5000 points to 9000 points just to play the game legally and to be able to support Nintendo and the author. I've been gaming for a very long time so I remember the good old days of gaming and how the gaming world works (to some degree) slightly better than the new generation gamers.

But it seems those whipper snappers are the audience more and more gaming companies are paying attention to these days and not so much to older gamers like myself and others.

On another note, what in the world have they done to Lufia? I remember the graphics being much better back in the early 90's when I first played that game on the Super Nintendo. I mean no disrespect (key word: don't) but it really doesn't look all that good.

I mean 3D is okay and all, but why change something that seemed to work fine with the other games?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought one of the reasons why Earthbound hasn't been seen on Wiiware or Mother 3 brought over was because of massive licensing/rights issues regarding everything from identical music to various intelectual-property crossing cameos and references
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Colette from Tales of Symphonia, even though everyone liked Sheena and Zelos and Raine better.

Hey, Colette's better then Sheena, Zelos and Raine put together! (Well, maybe Raine and Zelos put together, and better than Sheena on her own.) (Not as good as Presea though.)

I don't mind seeing Western releases here, though I don't really follow any weekly gaming news sites apart from this, so that might be why.

And I'm sure Poképark has been out for absolutely ages already... Oh, I see, it came out here in July, but is only just being released in America. Why do we get pointless games early and nearly everything else much later? (I'm still waiting for Baten Kaitos Origins, Nintendo.) Oh well, I can console myself by playing Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. (Ha!)

(Though, I got a gameover for rewinding a cassette tape to the beginning. That was harsh.)
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
I'm still waiting for Baten Kaitos Origins, Nintendo.

Dude, it's time to let go (or get a FreeLoader). Me, I'm pinning my hopes on Cave Story, that at least still has a chance of coming out over here.

Oh, and Collette and Lloyd are pretty much the most annoying JRPG leads ever, at least in any game I've ever played. They're pretty much the reason why I still haven't bothered to finish ToS despite getting it on launch (and also a friend who finished it earlier told me that spoiler[my hopes of Zelos/Sheena and Kratos/Raine were in vain Anime cry ]).
Myznomer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I typed "sinistral" into wiktionary and this is what I got:

Quote:
sinistral

Of, facing, on on the left side.
Left-handed.

Now I'm curious, is there actually a reason they're called that?

Left-handedness used to be associated with the abnormal or evil. The word "sinister" as an adjective for evil has it's root in the Latin for left. Also, in French, sinestral used to mean left-handed, but now they use gauche, which is still a word with negative connotations. You can get a more complete and accurate description here, under "Other."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3